Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2011, 12:13 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times

Advertisements

How do each towns and campus dorm life differ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 05:10 AM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Hmnn...

Don't know squat about dorms. Both are mainly "commuter schools" - though CPP definitely has dorms, and from what I understand, freshmen students are required to live on campus.

CSF has dorms also (on east side of campus by the freeway). Never been in them - but from outside they look big and "blocky".

Cal Poly Pomona is on the edge of town some distance from the downtown of Pomona. It is at the base of a hill in somewhat of an isolated basin area, and has a "rural" feel - though it is surrounded by urban areas - and the freeways are near by. Being by it self means that their isn't much of a college neighborhood vibe surrounding the campus. Cal Poly Pomona is where you go to focus on academics. There is plenty to do around it - but not in the immediate area outside the campus limits. I visited on a Saturday - and the area just had an "empty" vibe. That was OK - I toured the campus and spent some time researching for a class elsewhere in the library, which had a book that I couldn't find elsewhere.

Cal State Fullerton on the other hand is surrounded by a neighborhood that is vibrant because of the university. The surrounding area has more of a "college town" feel - though with a suburban bent - and keep in mind that this is still a commuter school. Downtown is 2 miles away - but closer to campus than DT Pomona is to CPP - and there is more immediate access - it is a straight shot down Chapman Avenue. Downtown Fullerton is very vibrant - with clubs, bars, museums, art galleries, theatres, antique stores, coffee shops, restaurants, novelty shops - and the adjacent Fullerton College - the oldest community college in California(100 years old next year).

Both have good reputations - Cal Poly is more selective and Fullerton has a broad based major offering and both have a diverse and dynamic student population.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:25 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,169,536 times
I graduated from Fullerton and I live near Cal Poly. In terms of life outside of class, Fullerton is more happening. More restaurants, bars and other entertainment. I can't speak to the life in the dorms though, as I was a commuter.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:19 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Hmnn...

Don't know squat about dorms. Both are mainly "commuter schools" - though CPP definitely has dorms, and from what I understand, freshmen students are required to live on campus.
Thats CRAZY....I did just look up the requirements and unless you went to a handful of nearby school districts, you are REQUIRED to live on campus.

Whats even more bizarre is that the cutoff seems really arbitrary. Like you could have gone to Arcadia or Temple City Schools, literally live at home, a 20 minute drive from campus.....a 17 mile drive.....and you are forced to live on the campus.

Doesn't make sense to me

I guess they are trying to make it less of a commuter school...but seems to be unnecessarily increasing costs while punishing people at the same time.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:22 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
...I did just look up the requirements and unless you went to a handful of nearby school districts, you are REQUIRED to live on campus.
Interesting. When our daughter went to Cal State Fullerton several years ago, only 10% of the freshmen were able to get into dorms; the rest had to commute.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:28 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,362 times
Cal Poly Pomona has quite a few dormitory complexes to house its students.

Like 7 or so years ago, CPP constructed a few new dorms south of the bookstore. There's also that big section of older dorms south of the 10FWY and another bunch on Temple Ave next to its farm store.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:37 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
1st Year Student - Res. Requirement

Even more crazy, I grew up right next door to Don Bosco, but I went to a public school a few miles away. I'd have to reside on campus which is nuts since I graduated just fine commuting to school.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:28 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
The housing requirements at CPP don't apply to transfer students.

Another possible benefit of community college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles