Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 11:08 PM

636 posts, read 2,644,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMomma View Post
We lived in the neighborhood across the railroad tracks from the old Fedco. I use to walk by there on my way to school (Fulton Jr Hi). We use to go skateboard riding in the parking structure. Didn't it become a Gemco, after Fedco left? I remember something like that, but I'm not sure what.

My brother went to Noble Elementary, and they had gang fights there. Can you believe that - at an elementary school! It was on the north side of Roscoe, in the 'trouble' area, but still.

I cant remember the name of the street, it was right next to the freeway off Roscoe. It had lots of apartments. Well, it was well known, even back then, for drug deals. I think at one point they blocked off the street to traffic.

Another memory I have is walking to Farrells after school for ice cream. It was a pretty long walk, but we didn't care. It probably is not safe to walk in Van Nuys now!

I had a friend who lived near Blythe St (a street that intersected it), we never had any trouble. We didn't bother them & they didn't bother us.

We only lived there a short time, and we escaped unscathed.. Not somewhere I want to visit anytime soon.
Fedco was still open during the Northridge quake in 94. I remember that because Fedco dropped it's membership requirement for a month or so after the earthquake to let everyone shop there. Gemco closed shop long before 94. There was a Gemco on Van Nuys Boulevard in Panorama city. The rusty sign remained years after Gemco closed. Kinda of the way the Montgomery Wards/Electric Avenue sign remains so long after Wards shut down.

What amazes me is that those office buildings remain standing after having no tenants for so long. The 7 story office building at Roscoe and Van Nuys has been empty for at least 6 years. The taller office buildings, south of roscoe (somewhere between roscoe and Sherman Way) have been empty for at least 10 years. They should have been torn down.

So many empty buildings now, Angus Restaurant, Montgomery Wards, Office buildings. It's blight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 12:51 AM

652 posts, read 2,804,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALady View Post
Oh my gosh! Was the watch a black plastic Casio watch with a calculator. Remember those things? tee hee hee.
Almost. It was the gold plated version of the Casio Databank. Still have it in a drawer.

http://www.theretroworld.com/images/casdata_tn.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-27-2007, 01:02 AM

636 posts, read 2,644,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
Almost. It was the gold plated version of the Casio Databank. Still have it in a drawer.

http://www.theretroworld.com/images/casdata_tn.jpg (broken link)
That's a classic. Casio ruled the world for a few years. I had a Casio keyboard also.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:22 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
I believe the reasons those tall. empty buildings remain standing today is because many of the wireless towers are on top of them. The $$ they get for use of their buildings more then covers their costs of remaining on that ground!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles