Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 07:11 PM

44 posts, read 73,225 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I'm fairly new to LA. I moved out here at the beginning of January. I'm living in Santa Monica, and currently going to SMC part time. My problem is that, I'm from Illinois and this has been a pretty big adjustment moving out here.
I'm having trouble meeting people, and finding myself alone quite a bit of the time. I'm not really lonely, I'm just looking for the right places to meet some cool people to hang out with.
I'm a 19 year old straight musician (session guitar player). I'm a big fan of all types of music, movies, tennis, hiking,and biking.
Any tips on some good places to meet people? or at least some cool things to do alone?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 07:30 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Craigs List for finding musicians to jam with?
I'd recommend church but since religion and church are a bunch of BS I won't.
Atheists United

Can't you meet chicks in college? [I assume you are male.]

I'm thinking how I met chicks when I was 19 in 1980. Ski Trip to Mammoth, The Ozone Disco in Northridge, classes at CSUN, got set up with a buddy's girlfriend's friend.

I did it, and I'm ugly. I'm so ugly that when I walk by the men's room all the toilet's flush.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:34 PM

44 posts, read 73,225 times
yeah, I can meet chicks in college haha.

I'm just still pretty new to the area so I'm looking for like maybe certain areas or places people could recommend for someone my age, you know?
I'm not 21, so I'm still kinda in that awkward age range where there are limited things to do haha.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:28 PM

167 posts, read 557,833 times
I moved to LA when I was 19 back in 1984 so I can relate. The best thing to do is follow your passion/interests and focus on school and friends will eventually come. Meanwhile, when you have free time explore areas of LA that are unfamiliar and just enjoy being young. I know it sounds corny but time goes by so quickly that one day you'll look up and wonder 'gee, where did my 20s go!' so my advice is enjoy your music and work toward your goals with a passion and enjoy your youth! Good luck!

Old 03-19-2011, 10:01 PM

171 posts, read 530,711 times
Have you been to a concert at McCabe's Guitar Shop on Pico Blvd in Santa Monica?

McCabe's Guitar Shop
McCabe's Concert Listings

Or maybe you can join a group at www.meetup.com
They have hiking, biking, tennis and many other interests represented.

Or maybe join an activity at
My People Connection (http://www.mypeopleconnection.com/~la/ - broken link)

Or maybe an evening, one-day, weekday, or weekend volunteer stint with
L.A. Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinC02 View Post
Hey everyone, I'm fairly new to LA. I moved out here at the beginning of January. I'm living in Santa Monica, and currently going to SMC part time. My problem is that, I'm from Illinois and this has been a pretty big adjustment moving out here.
I'm having trouble meeting people, and finding myself alone quite a bit of the time. I'm not really lonely, I'm just looking for the right places to meet some cool people to hang out with.
I'm a 19 year old straight musician (session guitar player). I'm a big fan of all types of music, movies, tennis, hiking,and biking.
Any tips on some good places to meet people? or at least some cool things to do alone?

Thanks!

Old 03-19-2011, 11:07 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
Quote:
College is a great place to meet people, but the first year can be a little tough. Just a few thoughts:

1. Strike-up conversations about your class with fellow students, both males and females, while you are waiting for the lecture to start, or just after it has finished. It’s funny, but after a while, these little conversations can lead to invitations to lunch or coffee. Join study groups.
2. I don’t know what the set-up is like at SMC, but try not to rush home after classes are over, but spend some time in the lounge reading or studying your notes. After awhile, you will probably see some familiar faces.
3. Club Row may be an annual event. Try to attend and signup for something that interests you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZTLEp1ImYY

4. It’s always fun to meet others through dance:
Master Dance Class Series Set to Kick at Santa Monica College

Finally, relax, be open to new experiences, and give it time.

Last edited by pacific2; 03-19-2011 at 11:54 PM..

Old 03-20-2011, 12:07 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
College kids here sometimes get together for a (tame) Swing Dance Flash Mob. There’s probably something (Flash Mob) that's a little bit wilder in Santa Monica:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCmZYS7YzW0

Old 03-20-2011, 12:11 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Have you considered meetup.com? Find other musicians to hang out with?

Old 03-20-2011, 02:55 PM

42 posts, read 69,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinC02 View Post

Thanks!
There are a ton of former Illinoisians in Los Angeles. You will meet a lot of them at certain restaurants (Portillos, Taste of Chicago, etc) and bars (Tin Horn Flats, barneys Beanery) the problem is of course that you aren't 21. Once you are 21 that opens up a whole new list of possibilites.

Sport your Bears, Cubs, or Sox gear around town!

Old 03-20-2011, 03:03 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Hell, wear a Cubs hat and I'll stop and talk to you (but I'm too elderly to hang with you). I'm a rarity: A native Angeleno who loves the Cubbies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles