Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 02:38 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times

Advertisements

Please give your opinion of this area. Feel free to read my long essay for specific questions:

Anybody live here? I'm considering taking a position at one of the Aerospace companies located in this area. We're a married couple in our early 30's. We lived in various parts of LA and surrounding suburbs (North Hollywood, Echo Park, Canoga Park, Ventura) until 2008, then did some traveling around the world. Now we're looking to put down roots.

Zillow and google maps have helped me out getting a feel for the stats of the area, but I'd like to hear from people who live and work there. I think we can manage 400-500K for a house, which would mean possibly a detached in Inglewood, maybe one in Hawthorne, and probably a townhouse in El Segundo. Barring any big market rebound or rate hike in the next year, that is.

We're planning on kids, so schools will be a concern in 5 years or so. Are the area schools okay? Getting better? Getting worse? Hospitals and doctors are a more current worry, though we may go overseas to have our child due to family + better and more affordable health care.

I like to surf, so it is VERY appealing to live within biking distance of both work and El Porto and nearby breaks. My spouse will likely work part-time downtown. How's the commute to downtown/West Hollywood? How's service on the Green Line and transfers to downtown? Impossible for commuting?

We travel often, so the proximity (maybe even walking distance) to the LAX shuttle is GREAT! No more 3+ hour trek to the Van Nuys flyaway etc.

Of course being close the clubs west of LA is appealing (for another year or so). What about local [night]life?

Ventura remains one of our favorite places as there was always something going on in downtown (a festival or event every other week plus the bi-weekly farmer's market), the beach was close, and the atmosphere was that of a relaxed and laid-back California coastal town from yesteryear. The local dives were friendly, hosted screechy local bands without charging a cover, and served cheap booze. Does that sound anything like El Segundo?

Manhattan/Huntington/Etc. Beach all seem pretty upscale to us, but maybe there's some walkable areas within biking distance for weekend amusement? We like visiting Venice, but the (Airport and) Marina means a 10-mile bike trek just to get to the start of the boardwalk.

We're used to being the 1% non-Latino portion of the population, will we find that same ethnographic in these areas? What about pollution from LAX and the Chevron Refinery AND the Hyperion Sewage Treatment Plant AND The LA Airforce Base? Noise is no problem, we used to live directly under the Burbank approach/takeoff.

What about crime? We've lived in high-mid-and-low-crime areas, which can we expect in this little slice of LA? Constant theft of lawn chairs and window bars to reduce threat of break-ins or you can leave your bike in the yard unlocked all night or forget your keys in the lock?

We'd like to get a German Shepherd eventually. How's the weather for such a large, heavily-furred dog? I know LA County doesn't allow dogs on the beaches, what about parks in the area? Seems like there's plenty of neighborhood streets for walking at least.

Well, that's most of my questions. Thanks in advance for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 03:03 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
My comments in relo red. Interesting you found a job in El Segundo. Most aerospace companies are laying off in California.

Think about today's wants and needs and the wants and needs you'll have in five years with young children. Are they the same?

Maybe you should rent for a year to get a feel of the communities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I'm considering taking a position at one of the Aerospace companies located in this area.
We're a married couple in our early 30's.
looking to put down roots.

can manage 400-500K for a house,

We're planning on kids,
Are the area schools okay? Getting better? Getting worse?

Depends on the area. Near the coast the schools are very good. On the the east side of the 405 the performance drops off. So does the safety.

School Performance Maps

Hospitals and doctors are a more current worry, though we may go overseas to have our child due to family + better and more affordable health care.

If you work for a big aerospace company, you will get excellent medical insurance. I'd be surprised if traveling overseas and all those associated costs will make it cheaper.

I like to surf,

I surfed and boogie boarded at lunch time (at least I did before I started taking a van pool). Drove down to Dockwieler Beach and parked on PCH for free, hit the waves for 30-40 minutes, layed on the beach for 10-15 minutes, took a quick shower at the beach, ran back up to my truck, got back into my work clothes and went back to work. Did this in about 90 minutes.

spouse will likely work part-time downtown. How's the commute to downtown/West Hollywood? How's service on the Green Line and transfers to downtown? Impossible for commuting?

Check the metro website and time tables and decide for yourself.

We travel often,

If often isn't more than once a month, proximity to an airport probably should be in your top ten considerations for choosing a place to live.

being close the clubs west of LA is appealing
What about local [night]life?

Lots of night life in the South Bay from Manhattan Beach south.

Ventura remains one of our favorite places as there was always something going on in downtown (a festival or event every other week plus the bi-weekly farmer's market), the beach was close, and the atmosphere was that of a relaxed and laid-back California coastal town from yesteryear. The local dives were friendly, hosted screechy local bands without charging a cover, and served cheap booze.
Does that sound anything like El Segundo?

Not really. El Segundo is a little bit sleepier than Ventura. It is pretty much Main Street and residences. Also, despite it's location, it doesn't really feel like a beach town - it really isn't on the beach.

Manhattan/Huntington/Etc. Beach all seem pretty upscale to us, but maybe there's some walkable areas within biking distance for weekend amusement? We like visiting Venice, but the (Airport and) Marina means a 10-mile bike trek just to get to the start of the boardwalk.

Yes, definitely. Those places are the places for strand cruising, outdoor patio dining, kicking back.

We're used to being the 1% non-Latino portion of the population, will we find that same ethnographic in these areas?

You can look this info up on the City-Data main site. West of the 405 is whiter than east of the 405. Also, to really get fine tuned demographic data, examine the demographic profile of several schools to get a feel for the community. GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community has very up do date information.

What about pollution from LAX and the Chevron Refinery AND the Hyperion Sewage Treatment Plant AND The LA Airforce Base? Noise is no problem, we used to live directly under the Burbank approach/takeoff.

LAAFB doesn't have an airfield.
The winds pretty much blow from the west.
I work just east of the Chevron Refinery and the sewage treatment plant. Occasionally I can smell the treatment plant.

What about crime?
We'd like to get a German Shepherd eventually. How's the weather for such a large, heavily-furred dog? I know LA County doesn't allow dogs on the beaches, what about parks in the area? Seems like there's plenty of neighborhood streets for walking at least.

Realize the places you've been asking about are pretty dense with little or no yards. It's a disservice to the dog to keep it cooped up in a small place unless you really intend on exercising it regularly for the next 15 years.

Well, that's most of my questions. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Realize the places you've been asking about are pretty dense with little or no yards. It's a disservice to the dog to keep it cooped up in a small place unless you really intend on exercising it regularly for the next 15 years.
I'm painfully aware of this. Some of the places I've been looking at have medium-sized yards sufficient for a small dog, but not for a large one. Thus the plan is to run/walk with the dog several miles a day as part of our exercise regime. We'll have to see if that plan holds up when it hits reality before we get the dog. Also will have to check out obedience school/vet costs and make sure we can commit enough time to the dog to give it a good life. We view it as taking on (nearly) the same responsibility as another child. My question was whether there are any areas nearby large enough for a shepherd to really stretch it's legs as running with a human isn't much of a workout for the dog, and whether the temperatures are going to be misery for a heavy-coated canine (like the SFV), or if the marine layer keeps things reasonable most of the summer.

Quote:
I surfed and boogie boarded at lunch time (at least I did before I started taking a van pool). Drove down to Dockwieler Beach and parked on PCH for free, hit the waves for 30-40 minutes, layed on the beach for 10-15 minutes, took a quick shower at the beach, ran back up to my truck, got back into my work clothes and went back to work. Did this in about 90 minutes.
That's great! I used to paddle out at C-street from 6AM-7:30 before prepping for my morning commute from Ventura (30-45 mins). I'm really looking forward to having that extra hour+ freed up while still living within biking distance of the water.

While in the SFV, I'd hit northern Malibu spots from 6 until 8-ish but that meant getting up before 5AM and I was pretty wiped out in the evenings plus it meant wasting tons of gas. Don't think I could keep that up and still have enough juice left for family time.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:43 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
my wife and i looked at some houses in the wiseburn area of hawthorne and it's real interesting. there are some nice houses there, but there are plenty of old dilapidated houses as well. noise didn't seem to be too much of an issue unless you're right next to the 405. as for getting downtown the train is an option, but i believe there are also express bus options that don't require a transfer. my job ended up moving me to the valley, so we stopped looking in that area, just too far of a commute.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:46 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Quote:
Having dogs should not be a problem. I have two large dogs and they get plenty of exercise since I take them on long walks ( early mornings and late in the evening). One also attends day camp several times a week and gets to burn off energy that way. Besides, dogs spend much of their time sleeping. They don't run around in a frenzy for 24 hours a day.

Last edited by pacific2; 03-20-2011 at 03:59 PM..

Old 03-21-2011, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 4,876 times
I just purchased a home recently in the Wiseburn area. The home was in our price range and the schools in the neighborhood are top notch. So far, the neighborhood seems safe and the community close-knit with holiday events that are planned all the time. Its also close to a bunch of shopping down on Rosecrans.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:23 AM

1 posts, read 4,826 times
The neighborhood of Hollyglen is a wonderful place to live. (West of the 405, between Rosecrans, aviation and the train tracks to the north, before el Segundo blvd.) I own a house here. The schools are really top notch in the state, and have a great tech slant to them because of all the support from the aerospace companies that support them. Crime is very very low. And it's one of the few places in California that actually has a sence of neighborhood pride. We also are the only local neighborhood that has it's own Saturday farmers market (9am -1pm corner of Aviation and 135th street.) you should visit the market and see the people that all live here in the 3 neighborhoods served by Wisburn school district. Good luck! - El Prez HHA

Old 03-31-2011, 09:19 PM

Cool! Thanks for the input, everyone! I'm pretty excited about moving back to SoCal. I just got another offer from a place in the Midwest, and didn't even have to think twice about rejecting it. There's just so many more opportunities in LA.

How do I search for neighborhoods like "Hollyglen" or "Wiseburn"? Are they listed on google maps or does anyone have a link that would show me where these neighborhoods are?

Old 03-31-2011, 09:29 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Cool! Thanks for the input, everyone! I'm pretty excited about moving back to SoCal. I just got another offer from a place in the Midwest, and didn't even have to think twice about rejecting it. There's just so many more opportunities in LA.

How do I search for neighborhoods like "Hollyglen" or "Wiseburn"? Are they listed on google maps or does anyone have a link that would show me where these neighborhoods are?
The post above yours described where hollyglen is.

Here's Wiseburn (school district boundaries)

Old 04-01-2011, 03:26 AM

134 posts, read 525,739 times
If you can't get into El Segundo. look into Fusion Townhomes on Aviation and Manhattan Beach. Hawthorne address so price is lower but its just across the street from Manhattan Beach and newer units. It is close to one of the Raytheon buildings too.

I lived east of 405 in Hawthorne and the area wasn't the greatest but I never felt unsafe. Street parking is hard to come by in the residential areas and they do a lot of street sweeping/ticketing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles