Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 09:35 PM

427 posts, read 1,093,860 times

Advertisements

I finally went on that trip to LA I’ve been talking about forever and I liked it. I wasn’t scared like I thought I’d be. Probably because I’m much older this time and I’ve worked jobs that have toughened me up. I was really able to explore the city with confidence, which is pretty much how I spent my trip. I traveled nearly 400 miles there in 6 days. I traveled every major road in LA from Porter Ranch all the way down to Watts.

Somebody in this forum told me when I leave the airport just go north on La Cienega till you reach the Hollywood area and that’s exactly what I did. Maybe a little passed Slauson, after that bend I could already see the glimmering lights. I didn’t realize how Hollywood itself is so elevated, making it visible throughout much of the city. We drove down Sunset, then Hollywood Blvd, Finally settling for the Saharan Motor Hotel. I Had a pleasant stay there by the way. It’s right next to the Seventh Veil, just like the Motley Crue song. I actually learned of the motel from this article:
40 Bucks and a Dream - Page 1 - News - Los Angeles - LA Weekly
The article goes, “Here, travelers don’t simply stop to sleep, they come to dream, to chase the ambitions their hometowns can’t accommodate or won’t tolerate. Their stays are prompted by desire and desperation — for salvation and escape, for the ultimate arena in which to re-create themselves” I think I could kind of relate.

As I said I drove a lot. I really wanted wanted to learn the city of LA. For 3 years I’ve been Google Mapping those roads. With a gas sipping Hyundai and a week to kill, I felt like a caged animal set free. I didn’t use a GPS either, I did it the old fashioned way with a paper map. One day I drove all over the San Fernando Valley, what a gorgeous suburban setting, all bordered by mountains, and streets lined with palm trees. I had a Double Double in Panaroma City. I kind of overate out there. Roscoe’s (Scoe’s #2), Canter’s Deli, TOI on Sunset, Manna Korean barbecue. I was walking down Cesar Chavez Blvd in Boyle Heights and some Mexican lady made me the tastiest little mini-tacos right out of her truck. Hey, I’m not sick yet.

I drove down to South LA and saw the Watts Towers and Nickerson Gardens. We were looking for the Towers and I look up to a street sign that reads “Grape Street” I saw the Great Western Forum, the LA Coliseum and Memorial Sports Arena. I hung out at Echo Park, then MacArthur Park. I walked right through that graffiti tunnel just like Michael Douglas did in Falling Down. I drove up Alvarado St. through Westlake at night. It’s so neat how the different neighborhoods tie into one another. Sunset will take you through East LA, Chinatown, Silverlake, and Hollywood. And that 101 freeway just winds itself gracefully through the heart of the city. I spent a lot of time driving around Hollywood and Koreatown. It was the most urban experience I ever had. I like those Korean L-shaped plazas, I ate a bowl of Pho at one of them. I drove through the Hollywood Hills. Mullholland Drive, Sepulveda Canyon, Coldwater Canyon and Laurel Canyon. I even drove past Charlie Sheen’s gated community. I went to Venice Beach. I always tried to take different roads. If I took Highland down I’d take Western up, and so on.We went to the Farmers Market one day and right next door at The Grove they were filming that show, Extra. I'm not kidding you all, I wound up on camera briefly, on national TV. My mom saved it on her DVR.

Staying right on Sunset Blvd really made the trip though. To walk out of my motel room and immediately be confronted by the sound of cars, buses and sirens was music to my ears. And I don’t know if it’s the low humidity or what, but at night you can see the car headlights and taillights just extend down the road forever, to the point where there just a twinkle.

It was the best trip of my life. I actually turned 37 while I was out there. I'm glad I didn't tell them that at Manna though. They soaked the guy at the next table with champagne for celebration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 09:52 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,309,577 times
well good, you sure made proper use of your brief time here

Old 03-21-2011, 10:00 PM

427 posts, read 1,093,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
well good, you sure made proper use of your brief time here
I sense sarcasm, and that's anger's ugly cousin.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:27 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,309,577 times
no, it was sincere, you did as much as you could in those days. my typing style is just dry and unemotional

Old 03-21-2011, 10:33 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_sfl View Post
I sense sarcasm
I didn't. You're back home and already uptight. Chillax.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:42 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,691,467 times
Nice (no sarcasm). I really enjoyed reading about your trip.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:01 PM

532 posts, read 1,056,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_sfl View Post
I drove down to South LA and saw the Watts Towers and Nickerson Gardens. We were looking for the Towers and I look up to a street sign that reads “Grape Street”
Grape Street is probably the only place where a man dressed in purple and pink can seem tough and intimidating.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:31 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,101,439 times
i just moved to LA. sounds like you had a great time. maybe ill experience some of things you posted.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:24 AM

44 posts, read 109,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
no, it was sincere, you did as much as you could in those days. My typing style is just dry and unemotional

haha!

Old 03-22-2011, 08:36 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,280,698 times
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles