Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2011, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,477 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am relocating to Los Angeles after living in NYC for two years for school and need some information desperately! No matter what I search Im not getting the answers im looking for - if someone were moving to NYC I'd say look for places in Lower East Side, Soho, Upper West, Lower West Side, for rent to be around $1100 average, not to live in Washington Heights, Harlem, to live near a major subway line, etc.

What I need to know is this - My school is located in the Pacific Design Center near the Museum of Contemporary Art on Melrose Ave btwn West Hollywood & Beverly Hills - these are ovbiously VERY pricey places -

I will have a car so commuting is not terrible - so I need to know specifically where are the "good" safe areas to live with accessiblily to this Melrose address. What areas to avoid, what I should be looking for in regards to rent. What is life like in LA? ANY information would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 03:21 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,898 times
Los Angeles has the largest diversity in apartment housing stock I've seen in any major city. One building can be $2500 a month for a one bedroom and the one around the corner can be $1500 a month next to a building that is $900 a month.

Everything depends on your commuting expectations and what you can afford in rent.

The Beverly Center area is very expensive, I would estimate about $1400 min. for a studio or one bed. West Hollywood has studios and one bedrooms below $1200 a month, especially near Fairfax. Beverly Hills studios and one beds are an average of $1750, with some lower and some obviously higher. As you go south on San Vicente, toward the Miracle Mile, it becomes slightly less expensive. The buildings are pretty good, but South/East of Olympic gets sketchy.

If you are willing to bump your commute time up to 45 minutes (during rush hour, 30 min during off peak), look at Franklin Village in Hollywood. This is a little neighborhood north of Hollywood Blvd. and just west of the Freeway in Hollywood. Rents around there are $1100 or $1150 for the studios and one beds to start.

Also check out West Los Angeles. Rent prices are the same. I would say Sherman Oaks and Studio City also but the commute will be a nightmare because of the 405 Freeway nightmare everyday with traffic and the fact that West Hollywood is in no man's land for freeways (the one drawback to having to commute to Weho). Culver City is another choice about 30 min. away. It has a nice downtown and reasonably priced apartments.

For buildings, one good rule to stick to is that if the building is predominantly female, it means it is safe.

Living in LA is way different than any East Coast city or Chicago. Things are much more spread out. LA County is massive. Most neighborhoods are walkable to shopping, restaurants, etc. (not always nightlife), but to get from neighborhood to neighborhood requires a drive. There is a limited subway system and the bus system isn't bad, but you have to live on the lines you want. People here aren't afraid of driving to meet friends, dating, etc.

People in LA are much more laid back. It's more care free, although people are really driven for what they want. There isn't a very pushy attitude. It's more of a if you don't like what I do or believe, then just leave me alone about it and go about your way. The exception to this is of course "the industry." A lot of the industry is very pretentious and cares about looks, fashion, materialistic items, etc. The city is celebrity obsessed as pop culture is a major industry, but at the same time it isn't. It just depends on the person and where you hang out.

Food tends to be cheaper in LA than Chicago or NYC at the grocery store and at restaurants. LA has expensive restaurants, but if you want pizza, a hot dog, or Chinese food, it is cheaper.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:48 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
1100 a month, and need to be fairly close to the Pacific Design Center in the Heart of WeHo.

OK, assuming you want a studio or bedroom, WeHo central is gonna be too expensive. As is the area by the Beverly Center.

You may find studios for 1100 in the east part of WeHo. East of Crescent Heights. You will definitely find studios and maybe even one bedrooms in "good" Hollywood for 1100. Yeah, live in Hollywood. Like by Hollywood and Vine or Hollywood and La Brea, you can find 1100 studios there.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:00 PM

4 posts, read 16,190 times
West Hollywood, parts of Hollywood, even Culver City (good young vibe). Westside Rentals was a savior for me when I moved to LA. Many landlords list their places there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles