Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2011, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,834 times

Advertisements

Hi All!

I will be relocating to LA from London in a couple of months (will be around for at least 12 months) and I'm looking for a decent place to live, not too far from work (which will be on Flower Street, Downtown).

Quite a few people have recommended one of the Downtown communities (Piero for example, which looks really nice) but I have my reservations about the area.

Please help!!

Is there anywhere other than the Downtown communities that I should look for that wont create too much stress getting into work, that would be close to shopping malls and not too expensive (maybe between 1.8-2k per month, but I'm flexible)? The other issue I'm havving is that I'd need a place that is furnished if possible... not sure what effect that would have on price...

I'm single, would prefer a 1 bed apartment or something, in a decent area, close to work but importantly somewhere I will feel pretty safe to live... Seen reviews for the downtown communities and they look really good - just need some advice and recommendations.

Many thanks in advance,
S87
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 12:41 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,916,996 times
The Piero looks like an amazing building and it is in a good area. You can rent furniture for a year. Cort Furniture Rental is reputable, I've seen their trucks around. Furniture Rental for Home and Office Furniture, Buy Clearance Furniture & Relocation Services by CORT | CORT.com

You could also look at an Extended Stay Hotel. Not sure if you have them in the UK, but they are fully furnished studio apartments with maid service, all utilities. It's basically like living in a hotel. They are expensive, but within your price range. THe only thing is I don't think any are downtown.

Not sure if you will have a car, but downtown LA is pretty easy to get around without a car, one of the few areas of LA where it isn't required. You have shopping, work, and entertainment all right there. Plus you can take the subway to Hollywood or Pasadena.

Downtown is generally safe, providing you stick by LA Live and a few other surrounding areas. The Piero is in a safe area, as is your work. Just be careful because downtown financial districts always attract some unsavory types. Whatever you read about downtown from 5 years ago no longer applies. It has really been built up and a 24/7 neighborhood, which is good for safety.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:51 PM

11 posts, read 34,922 times
I am an LA native who, at one time, worked downtown. I grew up in West LA (and live there now) and have a preference for the area. On the other hand, if I were a young professional today working in downtown LA, I would definitely live in one of the great new buildings in that area. They tend to be less expensive than the westside and you will save tons of time and money by avoiding the commute. Had my daughter (new college grad) ended up downtown instead of Century City, I would have told her the same thing.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:12 PM

4 posts, read 16,207 times
Downtown LA is not like other downtowns throughout the country and it's definitely not like London. If you stay within a few blocks of an updated area it is safe but it's still under transition and somewhat desolate and sketchy. If I were in your shoes I would consider living outside of downtown LA and commuting. Downtown is dirty and it's really not what CA living is all about.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,834 times
Good stuff! All the advice is much appreciated, thanks!
I'll have about 2 weeks to get settled in and find a permanent apartment. Still have a few downtown apartments in mind; would also be great to hear any advice on areas outside of downtown to find a nice place?
Many thanks once again.
PS I have indeed heard that a car is a necessity out there, not quite like London where you can catch the tube everywhere. Any advice on decent dealers that'll be prepared to offer a fair deal?

Old 04-26-2011, 08:12 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,916,996 times
Most dealers have a ton of used inventory for cars. You can also lease, but if you are here for just a year, a lease is normally a 3 year minimum, although I'm sure something can be worked out. I would suggest something with good gas mileage, though the UK fuel costs are way higher than here.

If you are unfamiliar with not just the city, but the country as well, I would recommend downtown. It has everything you need close by in a relatively secure environment. I wouldn't recommend living far from work and nearby conveniences like grocery shopping, stores, restaurants, if you aren't used to driving in a strange place.

The other benefit of downtown is decent public transit (the subway and buses) to Hollywood and Pasadena. Check out www.metro.net for public transit maps in LA. They aren't extensive like London and NYC.

The Miracle Mile is comparatively priced to downtown, but it's about 30 minutes from downtown with no subway access. Also look into Hollywood/Vine area if you want the true LA experience, but it is the heart of LA and all that comes with it (including the expensive building). Then you can take the subway into downtown and back.

I would caution you not to stray too far from downtown for the convenience and the fact that you can learn your way around easily.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:15 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,794,428 times
Downtown LA is trying to revitalize itself and attract more people. If you were to walk in downtown about 5 years ago it would have been desolate and abandoned because everyone is gone after 5:30 PM. It has gotten better since than but still needs work. For you I would look in downtown because with the new effort to bring life to downtown it has built/remodeled some awesome apartments and some entertainment (night life) is starting to arise.

Yes a car is necessary, I would never want to walk in Downtown or anywhere in LA. Dealerships are hurting right now so you can probably pick a car you like and just find a dealership that offers that car and get a one year rental. I would go to multiple dealerships so you can get a good estimate of what the quotes are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles