Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 01:00 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,859,778 times

Advertisements

She said "cali"

Old 04-29-2011, 01:23 AM

767 posts, read 1,745,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
She said "cali"
Yeah, really, that should cost her rep points.

I thought it was common knowledge that the white people from all over CA have fled to the adjacent western states- OR, WA, AZ, CO, UT... and definitely TX.

I'm sure the diaspora will continue.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:23 AM

30,906 posts, read 37,017,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth07 View Post
I'm not from the area but noticed there are a LOT of L.A. Folks like that living in Phoenix/Scottsdale now...some of the strip malls you see more Calif. license plates than Arizona ones! So is this out-migration to Arizona because of CA cost of living/taxes, quality of life? Is it cheaper to buy a house in Phoenix metro than SFV or LA?
Yes, i think that's a lot of it. Native born Americans of various races/ethnicities have been leaving pretty much all of the coastal CA metro areas for over 20 years now. The only ones who move in to CA or stay are the ones with high incomes who can afford the real estate prices.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:09 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,173,215 times
Multiculturalism/DIEversity happened. (hint hint;This is PC code for no white people)

Old 04-29-2011, 03:49 AM

749 posts, read 1,864,878 times
Miss Pip: This has been a great thread! Read the whole thing. I grew up in the SFV in the 1980's. I always thought it was a boring place to be (at least compared to places like Los Feliz or Hollywood or even the Westside). But my folks still live there so don't get me wrong.

Majoun: Regarding Fast Times at Ridgemont High being set in San Diego. True, Cameron Crowe wrote the book based on his experience going undercover at Clairemont High in San Diego. But the film NEVER really says exactly where they are located other then generic suburban So. Calif.

AND much of the film was shot on location in the San Fernando Valley including the old Sherman Oak Galleria (stand in for Ridgemont Mall) , Van Nuys High and Canoga Park High, and the Phoebe Cates topless pool scene was filmed at a house in WEST HILLS.

Still think Sean Penn's best role was Spicoli. There were a lot of kids that sounded like that in the valley in the 1980's. Not to mention great roles by Cates, Forest Whitaker, Judge Reinhold, Nicolas Cage, Ray Walston, etc.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:59 AM

749 posts, read 1,864,878 times
While it's true that the San Fernando Valley circa the early 1980's was more non-Hispanic White than it is today, even in the 1950's there was a large presence of Latinos in the northeast valley.

And perhaps the MOST FAMOUS and INFLUENTIAL valley teenager was a kid named Ritchie Valens (aka, Ricardo Valenzuela) who grew up in Pacoima.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:27 AM

1,253 posts, read 2,949,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post
Miss Pip: This has been a great thread! Read the whole thing. I grew up in the SFV in the 1980's. I always thought it was a boring place to be (at least compared to places like Los Feliz or Hollywood or even the Westside). But my folks still live there so don't get me wrong...

I have been reading and it's been very interesting seeing everyone's views, memories etc. There should definitely be a documentary on this. I enjoy the Valley a lot. There's parking, people are more down to earth, house parties are great and again there's parking for that too! It's easy to get around (road grid system), lesser traffic. A lot of people move to LA and never even go to the Valley and many of then will talk crap about it even though they haven't been! Many tv shows wil talk bad about it to this day for example Entourage.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:05 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,859,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
Multiculturalism/DIEversity happened. (hint hint;This is PC code for no white people)
REALLY don't like Mexicans, do ya?

Old 04-29-2011, 12:02 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,637,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
Yeah, really, that should cost her rep points.

I thought it was common knowledge that the white people from all over CA have fled to the adjacent western states- OR, WA, AZ, CO, UT... and definitely TX.

I'm sure the diaspora will continue.
Which would greatly enrage the people of those states even more than they're already enraged.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:05 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,216,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
A lot of people move to LA and never even go to the Valley and many of then will talk crap about it even though they haven't been! Many tv shows wil talk bad about it to this day for example Entourage.
i agree. the valley may not be as exciting as the westside or central parts of LA, but i'd rather live there than say Des Moines or Omaha. even though the summers get warm, year round valley weather is still better than 95% the country (no snow, low humidity). the beach is also less than 30 minutes away if you're in the west valley and the attractions on the other side of the hill are relatively close as well. i enjoy living on the westside now, but since i can't afford a home there, i'll probably end up in the valley soon enough. i'll miss the westside, but i'd rather live in the valley than move out of state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles