Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2011, 05:43 AM

392 posts, read 755,276 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are a couple with a 1 year old child, we are moving to LA this summer and my husband's job is close to downtown. While looking for a place to rent we came through Los Feliz Village Apts, so far we like what we see and read online but I need some feedback from real people living in or around.

Our main points are being quit and safe with easy access to transportation, I dont really care abt school district yet as we will be out of it by the time we need a school.

I would really appreciate your inputs,
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 08:10 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,913,657 times
I don't know this apartment in particular, but the area is decent. Atwater Village has become much better recently, though a far cry from Santa Monica/West Hollywood in that regard. Glendale on the other side of the apartments is mostly a safe suburb. Commute will be minimal as your spouse can avoid the freeway into downtown. There is a metrolink heavy rail station nearby. Check bus schedules for LA County Metro. It is also near Los Feliz and Silverlake which are major hipster neighborhoods.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:38 AM

Thank you very much for the reply. Do you know what are the good parts in Glendale? we've found several places there but have no idea where's the nice part of the city.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:23 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
i don't think there are any bad parts of glendale. generally speaking, it gets nicer the further north you go. however, there are less apartments the further north you go.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:55 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,540,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to LA View Post
Thank you very much for the reply. Do you know what are the good parts in Glendale? we've found several places there but have no idea where's the nice part of the city.
Hi there. I think I can answer both your questions. We lived right near the Los Feliz Village apartments for 9 years before moving to Glendale last year.

We definitely liked that area quite a bit, as it is basically close to everything (well except the beach maybe). But Atwater Village has gotten a lot more "gentrified" in the past decade. There is some gang activity if you go further north in Atwater, but the apartments are not really near that. In fact, the LAPD horse stables are right down the street, so cops go up and down Garden Ave. all day, even on horseback when they are exercising their horses.

It is right near Griffith Park, with all the outdoor stuff you can want (train rides & pony rides for your 1 year old too!). Hollywood and Los Feliz itself is right up the street, and Los Feliz is a great area (along Vermont and along Hillhurst).

Los Feliz Blvd. can get pretty busy, especially around Christmas, because the Costco, Best Buy and Toys R Us are all in the same shopping center just down the street.

In terms of Glendale, we moved to the Rossmoyne area, which is a pretty nice area north of the 134. If you look at apartments in Glendale, I'd probably stay north of the 134, as it's nicer than the areas to the South (although the Americana has some very nice new apartments, if you're interested in living over an outdoor mall). Glendale is pretty central to everything as well.

Anyway, I can provide more info if you want, just throwing out what I know about both places. Good luck!

Old 05-19-2011, 06:25 AM

Thanks so much, it was really helpful,, at least now if we didnt go with Los Feliz I know where to look in Glendale (and I think this applies to Burbank too, the more north we go the better it gets) I actually googled the area you are living in and found it very nice but I think it is difficult to find apartments or townhouses there.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,063 times
I would not recommend moving to Glendale unless you are Armenian or don't mind being a minority among Armenians. Glendale is a beautiful community but it is not the same demographic make up of Los Feliz or Silver Lake at all.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:23 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDrew View Post
I would not recommend moving to Glendale unless you are Armenian or don't mind being a minority among Armenians. Glendale is a beautiful community but it is not the same demographic make up of Los Feliz or Silver Lake at all.
But the Atwater Village demographic makeup is more Armenian than Los Feliz or Silver Lake, and more like Glendale's.

The Armenians are generally good neighbors, they have their "bad" element like every other race/ethnicity in L.A. but are decent people. Glendale is one of the safest communities in California and has decent schools.

Disagree about the further north you go in Burbank, the better it gets, the most rundown parts of Burbank are up north by the airport. Burbank doesn't really have "bad" areas, just some rundown areas. Burbank also has a large Armenian population (as does the Valley in general)

Old 05-23-2011, 07:45 AM

Thank you for your advices, I really dont have a problem with any race or ethnicity, except that I prefer quite neighbours. We are still looking in Glendale but I generally prefer Los Feliz for its close proximity to downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles