Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 04:36 PM

647 posts, read 1,523,600 times

Advertisements

So I'm considering moving to L.A. soon, I'm just curious how hard it is to get low end film work. I don't expect anything amazing, I just want some sort of film work even if it's bottom of the barrel. I have a Bachelor's in Film and lots of relevant experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 11:29 PM

237 posts, read 669,011 times
Even with your experience, in these times, it will be VERY difficult. That's why so many of those trying to get into film are waiters and waitresses, and they are VERY unhappy because they would rather be in the studios, not at the restaurant serving. You are better off knowing someone who is already INSIDE somewhere because coming in from the cold just won't cut it in most cases.

Remember, should you get a low-end job you will be treated like crap, but you have to do EVERYTHING they say and tell you to do and do it successfully and make your ambitions known. Moderator cut: vulgar If you can't do the most menial non-film related task of changing their baby's diaper without complaining or sobbing or shouting, "that's not my job or why I'm here," then they will never trust you with a position on a film project. And you had better have another job to supplement the low wages for 60 hours per week in the low-end jobs in the Film Industry.

Moderator cut: vulgar

Last edited by Kimballette; 07-21-2011 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: vulgar

Old 07-21-2011, 06:59 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,491,825 times
I have a friend who manages an apartment building but in his spare time he works as a grip or best boy on movie sets. It don't pay squat, the only thing he gets from it really is the experience and the opportunity to be on a movie set with all the hot chicks.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:05 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,360,443 times
try central casting. the pay minimum wage. they have work for extra's Loads of competition.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:46 PM

647 posts, read 1,523,600 times
Cool, so I should have no trouble finding bottom of the barrel work?

Old 07-21-2011, 02:02 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
You may have trouble, nobody knows you, or who will think what of you. You will just have to try it and see.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:36 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,309,577 times
One of my good friends is the son of fairly prominent people in the entertainment industry. Like, people who made it and have won Oscars and Emmys. He's interested in breaking in. Well, they have him working 60-70 hours a week as a gofer. And he had an in. Even that gofer job is tough to get.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:45 AM

105 posts, read 306,382 times
I don't work in film, but know quite a few people who do or did (including the wife). Office jobs at studios are very attainable with a degree. If you want a position working on set, it will be a little (or lot) more difficult. Most I know who work on set, are skilled tradesmen who design and/or build sets. A job doing filming, audio or acting would be extremely hard to get. As with any industry, just try to get yourself in, develop your skills and play your cards to slowly get into a position that you want. Apply for jobs and if you don't get any takers, try to get an internship or temp work so that you can make connections. Many studios have associated temp agencies that they use. Once you have an in, work hard, make connections and try to get gain some leverage (learning specialized skills, ect) that you can use to encourage them to hire you on. In other words, don't become a permanent intern. A studio (or any company) will sometimes try to do that to you if you let them.

Last edited by Jebby; 07-22-2011 at 10:55 AM..

Old 07-22-2011, 11:55 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,145,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
Yes, you will have trouble. There are many more people who want "bottom of the barrel" work than there are jobs. A thousand of "you" arrived in LA this month and a thousand more of "you" will arrive next month. Expect trouble.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:03 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,838,427 times
I know someone who has been an extra for a few decades. Lately he has been collecting cans while waiting for the phone to ring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles