Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 10:53 AM

7 posts, read 9,151 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Myrtle Beach my entire life and I've decided to make the move to LA. I work for a major IT company from home so my only requirement is the have a high-speed internet connection and live within and hour of an airport. I travel but I want to be based out of LA. I need suggestions on housing near one of the beaches in the area. I'm an outdoors type of person into fitness, hiking, jet skiing, surfing etc. A tomboy in a matter of speaking. I'm looking for new construction with a view of the Pacific. Any help will be appreciated. I have always loved beach front living coming from Myrtle Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 11:11 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,203,668 times
there are 3 airports near the coast in southern california (OC/LA area). you can live anywhere from san clemente to malibu and be within an hour of an airport.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:19 PM

Malibu seems perfect for me; I'm 25 and single; what is the social scene like there in Malibu? I have not hired a real estate firm yet, any recommendations? I must have an ocean view, and at least 3-4 bedrooms; because, I anticipate family spending alot of time with me; since, I'm the baby of the family. Are mudslides a real problem? I plan to fly out next week to begin my search.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:20 PM

Malibu reminds me of Myrtle Beach.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:32 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,914,563 times
If you are 25 and single, Malibu is not the place for you. I am in that demographic. Malibu has a few bars and restaurants along the Pacific Coast Highway, but they mostly cater to the wealthy who live there. There are plenty of singles, but many are older and divorced.

What is your price range? Malibu 3-4 bedrooms ocean views go for in the millions.

Better singles options on the beach are Santa Monica, Marina Del Rey, Hermosa Beach, and Manhattan Beach. If you go into Orange County, check out Newport Beach.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:47 PM

Price won't be an issue? My father is buying the property for me, as a graduation present for getting my MBA from Duke University in May, and as a second family home. He develops real estate in Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head Island, SC.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:53 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,808,209 times
Wow......Consider yourself lucky girlfirend..........Would love to move to LA...and to have a property all ready waiting on you when you get there.........

Old 07-29-2011, 06:34 PM

Girl:

I do feel blessed and lucky to have parents willing to finance my move. I have to find to location myself so it won't just be waiting for me. I guess the luck part comes from the fact I have a flexible job and a dad that has been planning on adding west coast properties to his portfolio for a couple of years. I know Malibu generally attracts an older buyer but I have to try to balance the needs of my parents with mine. As much as dad works he would spend no more than two weeks a year in Malibu, my parents main home now is on Hilton Head Island, SC. I'm really going to miss my condo in South Myrtle Beach but I feel LA is for me at this time in my life. Give me a heads up on a good real estate agent in Los Angeles County. Feel free to pm me to give this LOL country girl a heads up.

Must haves:

1. Great multiple pacific views.
2. 3-4 bedrooms.

Wants:

1. New construction.
2 Beach front.
3. Access to outdoor activities and shopping.

Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by Kimballette; 07-29-2011 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: not the purpose of City-Data

Old 07-29-2011, 07:35 PM

497 posts, read 1,504,446 times
Malibu BeachFront New Construction: $5,000,000 TO 10,000,000+
Malibu NonBeachfront/Close to Beach, New Construction: $2Million +

Manhattan Bch BeachFront New Construction: $5,000,000 to $10,000,000.
Manhattan Bch NonBeachfront New Construction But within 2 blocks: $1.5Mill+ for Northern M.B. Higher as you move closer to the Pier.

If you are looking for beach front, meaning on the sand, the prices are very high. A block to 2 blocks back, your pricing will drop substantially.

You may want to rent for a while and then buy or build what you want, where you want once you get a feel for California.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:41 PM

Greg:

The budget I am working with is in the $1.5 million range. My parents are not willing to shell out $20 million just for Malibu beach front. My new requirements are, Close to beach, hip trendy, loft, efficiency, one bedroom, close to hiking and beach activities. I will be in town on Monday to begin my search in earnest. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles