Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 07:08 PM

129 posts, read 663,091 times

Advertisements

It is simply the best place in the united states to live, hands down. It's not even debatable - if money were no object everybody would be living in SoCal

Unfortunately many people (females) make a silly mistake like getting pregnant multiple times from their husbands - who just so happen to be 37 years old and stuck in a dead end managerial position

OH WOE IS ME I cant seem to survive on 60k a year from my husband being a manager at Home Depot, and I can't work because I have to take care of the kids, and pay for private schooling cus LAUSD SUCKS!

Well, maybe in the next life you'll be smart enough to not have kids (there's 6 billion++ on the planet already, we don't need more) and also to be a little more ambitious.

I heard housing in South Africa is really cheap - check it out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 07:10 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,337,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monti View Post
It is simply the best place in the united states to live, hands down. It's not even debatable - if money were no object everybody would be living in SoCal

Unfortunately many people (females) make a silly mistake like getting pregnant multiple times from their husbands - who just so happen to be 37 years old and stuck in a dead end managerial position

OH WOE IS ME I cant seem to survive on 60k a year from my husband being a manager at Home Depot, and I can't work because I have to take care of the kids, and pay for private schooling cus LAUSD SUCKS!

Well, maybe in the next life you'll be smart enough to not have kids (there's 6 billion++ on the planet already, we don't need more) and also to be a little more ambitious.

I think you should pursue standup

Old 08-13-2007, 07:52 PM

134 posts, read 562,298 times
As a Los Angeles Native myself I have one thing to say to all you people not not born here.GO BACK HOME!!!!! It's too crowded.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:28 PM

19 posts, read 31,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monti View Post

Wow, never heard of MARRIED women being called
silly for having children with their husbands. I know people out
here care a lot more for trees and the ocean then human beings but this
statement is incredibly ignorant. The silly women are the ones that have
to run to the pharmacy for the day after pill b/c their BOYFRIEND of
the moment
didn't wear protection and they hope 9 months later they
won't be just another baby mama.

Typical LA elitist attitude. They turn their noses up if you don't shop
at Trader Joe's and eat Organic only food and the list goes on
and on and on.

I KNOW countless people making a high 6 figured income that don't
want to live here and raise a family and they CAN afford private school.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:42 PM

307 posts, read 1,421,173 times
Why live in So Cal?

To be honest I think alot of us live here because it is where we grew up and it is what we know. If I had to chose a place to live in US it wouldn't be Cali. but when you grow up here and have all your family here it is hard to just pick up and move. DH and I are considering a move to WA. Some friends have already moved there for literally "greener" pastures. = ) We're still on the fence. I don't think LA is the be-all and end-all like many make it out to be. I gew up in Malibu and it has been 5 years since I went and sat on the beach. Too crowded...who has the time....where do I park? It is not the idealistic haven that some make it out to be. And the 24-7 sunshine people talk about it. If you live by the beach you know that it is cold, foggy and overcast WAY more than you'd expect. Had to scrape ice from my windshield in the mornings before driving to school. I know. I know. East coasters are probably laughing saying poor California girl had to deal with a little ice. lol. don;t worry I get the irony. = ) Just making a point. Not every day is Baywatch ready.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:12 PM

15 posts, read 47,922 times
Unhappy Native Californian leaving also

california is history, this state is ruined. At least it is in Southern CA and I don’t believe it will ever be nice again.

Sure you may find nice pockets but then how do you get to and from work?

I was commuting 4 hours a day, changed jobs now down to 2 hours a day but that time is spent on a train with most of the people who are not legal citizens.

Its toooooo crowded, too expensive, too much crime, too much poverty and everyone who has any common sense is leaving. I live in a really upscale area of Long Beach, very mixed community, and this year half a dozen kids attempted to kill 3 girls specifically because of their race. Right around the corner from my house!

I did not work this hard to be able to live in a nice house, only to have my car windshield beaten out with a baseball bat this year (along with 20 other cars in my neighborhood)

Last week my neighbors car was broken into, her house was egged and graffitied

Worse of all, the hour commute to downtown LA financial district I get to look at wall to wall graffiti all the way from Long Beach to Downtown LA.

this city is a dump!

I hate it and am looking o move to hopefully somewhere in North Carolina, maybe Denver, or if I could afford it Massachusetts…..

I just hope to get out before my house looses all its equity.

LH

Old 08-14-2007, 04:38 PM

723 posts, read 2,998,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
With all of the negative California postings I have read on this forum, it is refreshing to see someone enjoying living here.
Well, it seems as though the negative people are SO negative that a few rays of sunshine are in order.

So many people boo and hiss; but then when you read into their stories, they are trying to:

-Live in the past (Wah! It got crowded) HINT: Welcome to Earth!

-Compare to someplace they lived before (This ain't New Hampshire) HINT: Wait til you experience traffic in Atlanta/Denver/wherever hahaha

-Complain about cost (but then don't have their finances in check)

-niggle the perfection ("...but then one time, there was a cloud in the sky and I was promised 110% perfection!!! Wahhh!")

-generally complain (Why isn't this easier!?!?) HINT: Life isn't fair

Something interesting are peoples living in other areas that USED to live in Los Angeles that are bitter. They seem to be everywhere!!! Heck, before I moved here people said "Why would you want to move to that smelly ol' place?" (without ever visiting here.) Or, "I used to live there [insert complaints here.]"

Most of the people "checking out" of this forum are SUPER NEGATIVE. I rarely (if ever) hear people say "Well, I had fun, but it wasn't for me! I'm off to get a small patch of green in Missouri, good luck everyone!"

Why?

Because they are sad to go? Sour grapes? Didn't succeed in the big city? Had false illusions? Blew all their trust-fund on coke and fast living? Etc. Who knows!?!? In any case, watch who goes, and why, and you'll start to see a pattern.

PS- Have a nice day.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:23 PM

116 posts, read 614,224 times
As other have posted, this forum is generally super negative of its view of L.A. I just want to add my rambling two cents to the discussion.

My family and I moved from L.A. to Portland, Oregon a little over a year ago. I won’t get into details, but it is for all of the usual reasons. While I do like it up here, I genuinely miss Los Angeles and make it down as often as possible. I was sad to leave L.A. as it is one of the truly great cities of the world. It all comes down to choices. The old version of suburban L.A., everyone owning their three bedroom home, is simply dead. I don’t lament this fact in the least. Cities change and grow. People on this forum are constantly complaining about the traffic, immigrants, housing, etc… Well, welcome to life in the big city. Having lived in both NYC, and San Francisco I think these elements are all features of what make city living so exciting. People just need to adjust their expectation. If you want to live in the city, be prepared to not own a 3000 sq foot home. If you don’t like traffic, then get a job closer to where you work. If you’re not willing to do these things, then simply leave. But when you leave, don’t blame L.A., it is an individuals choice. Most people I know who have left L.A., it wasn’t so much a question of not being able to afford it, it was not being able to afford the lifestyle they wanted based on the choices they made.

I find most of the changes occurring in L.A. to be very exciting. Hollywood Blvd. is getting a W Hotel, the new L.A. Live will be an entertainment mecca, and gentrification is spreading east to Silverlake, Echo Park, and Arlington Heights. I am sad that I no longer live in L.A. and won’t be around to enjoy all of these changes. Yes, there are of course negatives, but the good far outweigh the bad. So, why would anyone want to move or live in L.A.? Well, I’ll list a few of the things I miss…

1. I miss the restaurants and dining options (La Tequiza, Tommy’s, In and Out, Del Taco). Plus, all of the mom and pop hamburger joints (Lucky Boy, Tops, The Hat)
2. I miss all of the small (and large) ethnic neighborhoods, Thai Town, Little Tokyo, the San Gabriel Valley as a whole. I’d kill for a good boba Thai Tea.
3. I miss Dodger games, and USC football. Fight On!!
4. I miss Hollywood and the vitality of its nightlife and bars.
5. I miss all of the places that are open late. From Swingers on Beverly Blvd, to late night runs to the taco wagons parked on the various streets.
6. I miss seeing the Hollywood sign
7. I miss the tolerance and weirdness of L.A.
8. I miss the history and glamour of so much of old L.A.
9. I miss Sunday mornings at the Larchmont Village farmers market.
10.I miss the endlessness, literally and figuratively, that is Los Angeles.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:46 PM

636 posts, read 2,644,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanDLA View Post
These are things off the top of my head. The only 2 things I dislike about SoCal:
1. Housing issues
2. Smog
3. Traffic (HOOOGE issue)

Old 08-16-2007, 06:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,003,525 times
Let's keep this on topic or it will be closed. Thank you, Mod.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles