Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 10:55 PM

134 posts, read 562,756 times

Advertisements

LA tolerant? Ask Reginal Denny how tolerant LA can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 05:12 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,342,813 times
Greenville is a decent burg slightly larger than Long Beach. Asthetically it's very pretty...freezing in the winter and humid in the summer. I'm glad you're happy there...I personally couldn't live in the South again. Large cities don't compare to little towns in my book. Usually when people leave L.A. is to someplace much smaller. Some people aren't suited to live in a huge city.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:51 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,718,814 times
hey Sorc,
Are you sure that you're not thinking of Greenville, NC? We, the one in SC, don't get the humidity that most of the other southern cities close to the coast do since we're near the mnts. Don't get me wrong, it's more humid than LA, but it's not stifling like Charleston or New Orleans or Houston. Also, compared to LA it's cold but almost never below 30 degrees. I think there's something like 23 Greenvilles in the USA, it's pretty funny, Springfield is also up there too.

It is booming here with BMW, Michellin and Hubble Lighting all having their North American hq here not to mention one of if not the prettiest downtowns in America. Here's a little photo tour of our waterfall and park downtown:

Greenville SC Liberty Bridge at Reedy River Falls Park

Old 08-18-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
hey Sorc,
Are you sure that you're not thinking of Greenville, NC? We, the one in SC, don't get the humidity that most of the other southern cities close to the coast do since we're near the mnts. Don't get me wrong, it's more humid than LA, but it's not stifling like Charleston or New Orleans or Houston. Also, compared to LA it's cold but almost never below 30 degrees. I think there's something like 23 Greenvilles in the USA, it's pretty funny, Springfield is also up there too.

It is booming here with BMW, Michellin and Hubble Lighting all having their North American hq here not to mention one of if not the prettiest downtowns in America. Here's a little photo tour of our waterfall and park downtown:

Greenville SC Liberty Bridge at Reedy River Falls Park
No, I've been to Greenville SC not long ago and I'm familiar with it, no need to insult my intelligence. We've already had this discussion a couple months ago. You asked me if I'd ever been to Greenville and then you asked me when as you were appalled that I might have different tastes. Remember now? Humidity is relative. The whole South is a steambath in the summer to me, even the mountains. Sweat rolls off me in a river even in your area and your winters are bone chilling cold compared to Los Angeles. Your winter highs barely reach 50 which is a couple degrees above our low temp here and it freezes every night. Like I said...for a burg it's not bad, there's just nothing about it that appeals to me but I can see why people who long for a decent sized town with a small town feel and Fundie values would like it. You've already given me your sales pitch, no reason to waste it again. My tastes run more to L.A., Miami, Paris and New York. I like the big city. People who don't like the big city might be happy in Greenville.

I'm glad you're happy in Greenville. We have opposite tastes. I hate the boonies, I hate humidity and cold winters (IMHO you have both) and I'm not fond of the South (except an occasional visit, I've lived in the South more than once). People who aren't fond of the big city should go immediately to the boonies. I've always said so. I'm not fond of Greenville, SC for the same reasons you love it and I love Los Angeles for the reasons you listed a couple months ago (why you hate it). I'm one of those liberal people you were happy to get away from.

The existing gorgeous architecture you have is also being desacrated by the McMansion craze. All the sudden everyone "needs" a 4500 square foot house with the design cues of a mobile home. Sad. Streets and streets of them. At least you have lots of greenery to break it up. Ugh. Unfortuately recently developed areas of L.A. have some of them too. Most areas in the Hollywood Hills have stopped them from being built, Los Feliz is in the process. They are a horrific plague.

This is my idea of beautiful:

http://www.santamonicacollection.com/images/homePicR.jpg (broken link)

http://www.maritimematters.com/images/qmqm2_87.jpg (broken link)

http://www.krobathwimmer.at/dorit_margreiter/dorit_margreiter_2003/CASE%20STUDY22.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Sorcerer68; 08-18-2007 at 09:54 PM..

Old 08-18-2007, 09:47 PM

Sheesh,
I wasn't trying to insult your intelligence. Butch It Up!
By the way, it's really not necessary to tell me that you're gay in every single post that you make. News flash: You sexuality doesn't interest me and it shouldn't define you.

I'm a computer neanderthal so I don't even know how to post pics, only links. If you could tell me how without being condescending and eluding to how hip you are and how much of a "hick" I am in my little "burg in the boonies" I'd greatly appreciate it. If not, fine. I'm not your enemy and you don't have to always be combative with me just because we disagree. Not very tolerant of you.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:01 PM

I didn't realise you remembered me from previous posts, hence the gay reminder. I'll make a deal with you: I'll stop repeating how gay I am if you stop trying to sell me Greenville. I was also in the process of editing that post when you read it.

For the record, I'm not a big 'ol queen, I just type that way. Re-read some of our previous encounters and you might see that you've been downright nasty to me, maybe I went overboard in returning the favor. I admit, I can be brutal. One thing I'm absolutely certain is that people should live in a place that resonates with them, be it Greenville, SC or Los Angeles. I didn't mean to imply that I was better or hipper than you, just that our tastes run differently. One of my main points I make on this board, over and over is that people who don't like big cities shouldn't bash L.A. for being a big city. And I never, ever used the word HICK.
Blessings.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:05 PM

Those are nice pics. I love photos, especially the ones that the older gentleman posted of LA in the 50's,60's and 70's. By the way, I believe and correct me if I'm wrong, which I know you will, that you live near west LA. I was in Burbank for 9 years and their is a good 10 degree difference between the two. Many mornings in the winter I'd have frost on my car but it would warm up to the 50's. Conversely, it's quite common for the summers to reach 105-110. my wife is in Valencia right now, having her baby shower (we're having a girl, Sophia Grace) and she said it was 108, either today or yesterday. Can't remember. Yeah, I know it's a dry heat, but so is an oven and I don't plan on sticking my head in one any time soon. 108 is 108. I will agree with you though, 108 in New Orleans or Houston, UGGGHHHH!!!!!

Anyway,I have no problem with liberals, I worked in hollywood for crying out loud. I have a problem with hateful, angry people. Ironically you would argue that most of those people reside on the right side of the spectrum. Believe it or not I get along with most everyone. I'm quick with a smile and a handshake and am very friendly. No, I'm not trying to pick you up.

Let me ask you an honest question. We do after all have relative anonymity here. Does it bother you at all that within 10 years you most likely will have to speak spanish to survive? Keep in mind that I'm the son of an immigrant and the husband to one. Both of them however wanted to learn the language and assimilate out of respect. I see the exact opposite in Los Angeles. I knew this woman in her 60's from Nicaragua and she had been in the states for at least 40 years and she couldn't speak two words of english. This really offended me (of course I never said anything, she was quite sweet). Does that bother you? Thanks

Old 08-18-2007, 10:10 PM

I just gave you a + rep point to bump you up to 160. See, libs and cons can get along.

I have a true love, hate relationship with LA. It fascinates me, yet simultaneously drives me utterly insane. Probably like how my wife feels about me.

If I ever was nasty to you, I'm truly sorry. I'm a passionate person and sometimes I don't think before I speak, er, write. I'm constantly trying to better myself as a person. Alas, it's a never ending journey.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:29 PM

I already speak fluent Spanish. I find it opens many doors both socially and professionally. I lived in Bogata' and Cali Colombia for a while when I was a kid. When I was in social work, I ran the Spanish family group. I also love Latino culture. My ex was Salvadoran. Chileans married into my very white family 3 generations ago. They are all gorgeous and intelligent and wonderful. As for foriegn language, I live on the border of Thai town (just moved here) and am in the process of learning a few polite phrases. They are a really sweet culture. They love to stay up late and they make awesome food that's dirt cheap. All that and I'm blonde and blue eyed. Los Angeles is an international city and that's one of the reasons I love it. When I go anywhere that's almost all white, I feel like somthing very heavy is sitting on my chest. Too many of any of one kind of person is a bad thing, IMHO. I just moved back from Hawaii and there are proportionally more Caucasians here. Many don't realise that.

I lived in Glendale and Pasadena for years. It never once froze while I was there although I've heard of it happening. The summer of 96 was brutally hot, we had quite a few days over 100. I remembering 107 being the hottest day of that severe heat wave. I moved to Vegas for 3 years (weather ranged from 7 degrees to 114 while I was there and lots of weather close to each end) and after I returned we didn't have another summer like that. I REALLY appreciated the weather after coming back. Windows open any day of the year? Unheard of in Vegas. I like the weather in Pasadena. Glorious winters and an honest summer. Vegas has similar winter temps to you but the air is bone dry. What you don't have is the severe desert wind. I lived in Redondo for years and years. One year we had a cold snap and it froze our solar panels and broke them. A lot of our tropical plants died. That was the only time I could remember it freezing there. It hardly ever got much above 80. When I lived in San Luis Obispo in the 80's, my grandma in South Pas actually got snow! Burbank weather is similar. Typical January is 60's in the day and high 40's at night. The temps you quoted are rare. My partner works at NBC and I'm over there (Burbank) every day and it's been high 80's/low 90's except for a couple little heat waves including last week, it got up to about 94 there. It's bone dry so I can deal with it. We were actually down to 0% humidity a few times this year. All in all I find Burbank pretty pleasant. In a few minutes I'll go to Priscilla's and sit outside sipping their brutally strong coffee and probably have Chili Spagetti at Bob's with my sweetie when he finishes the show. I live in Los Feliz now in a 20's Hacienda with high ceilings, huge windows and no a/c. We have 2 portable fans, that's all we seem to need. I have quite a bit of shade from foliage, a good cross breeze and nice fountain noises which makes it pleasant in here. It was 84 today.

Regarding the photos, I love them too. I'm a restoration and preservation junkie so the historic ones put me over the edge. Look above this message and see a little yellow square with mountains in it. Click on it. A box will come up and erase the beginning of what's there and cut and paste the URL of the photo you want to display. To thet the URL, pull the photo up and right click on it. Go down to where it says properties and cut and paste that link.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Bingo.

The Shakespeare Bridge.

Located on Franklin Avenue east of Talmadge St., in the Franklin Hills neighborhood of Los Feliz.

Photo is from the LAPL.
I drive over it on the way to the dog park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles