Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 12:22 PM

430 posts, read 1,650,750 times

Advertisements

To me, it's a city built on perception, and shallowness, people are fake, they have no inner core. They are living off of some hollywood fantasy, with there noses in the air. I am not saying all of L.A is bad and I am not basing this just what is shown on TV either, in fact there are plenty of good people, but from what I've seen is that you won't find the friendliness you find elsewhere, it's harder to build a relationship with people. Although someone might say Hi, or how are you, the attitude is that people their are just plain shallow and don't care and some people have the biggest most annoying ego's. Now you might say that is everywhere, but in L.A and parts of So Cal, it seems like it is MORE SATURATED with these type of people, always acting like they are this and that living in a fantasy. I think it's a nice city, but it lives and thrives off shallowness, fakeness, glamour and things to me that aren't real. What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 12:28 PM

927 posts, read 2,466,410 times
It sounds like you either haven't spent much time in LA or you're just trying to start an arguement. I'm orginally from the midwest and find people just as friendly in LA than they are in Minneapolis. Yes, there are more jerks in LA than my hometown, but there are a lot more friendly, careing, and fun loving people, too. LA is a big city, so you can't judge the place by watching The Hills.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:34 PM

224 posts, read 347,677 times
You watch too much television.
Let me guess, everyone in NYC is a Sex and the city fashionista or a high powered stock broker.
Everyone in the South is a racist hick.
Everyone in San Francisco is gay.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:38 PM

50 posts, read 111,277 times
They just don't like your poor grammar. Grammar is very important to people in L.A., especially if you want to become a famous screenplay writer.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:46 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post
,,,,They are living off of some hollywood fantasy, with there noses in the air. ,,,
The only people with "hollywood fantasy" is people who have never been to LA.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:27 PM

9 posts, read 38,454 times
Calling LA fake is so cliche that it's become our city slogan. The diversity of people, art, music and outdoor activities makes our city vibrant both culturally and economically. Our city has everything to offer some good, some bad and the very very sad i.e. our homeless population is very large.

If you want to see fake...like stepford wives fake go to Newport Beach, CA; Boca Raton, FL or the Hamptons. I've had the unfortunate pleasure of living in these faboulous beautiful but with an utterly vile population.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:42 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,002 times
i haven't experienced this really since i've moved out here. the OP sounds ignorant in his posts. prob has never been out here.

people in LA are definitely one of the friendliest people i've come across in the country. i'm from south texas and people here are just as friendly as back home in san antonio. even the drivers here aren't as rude and aggressive as the drivers in houston.

you're gonna of course run into the very wealthy people and some that may seem stuck up, but to be honest, the people here in the very rich areas prob have millions of dollars and most are still friendly.
i've been to areas around the country where there are upscale restaurants/clubs and people act snobby if not worse than people here, and those areas are often saturated with the 30k millionaires lol.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:07 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
The more I live here the more I think L.A. has more regular people just like anywhere else.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:27 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Don't believe the hype.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:02 AM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
The more I live here the more I think L.A. has more regular people just like anywhere else.
I agree. Probably 95% of the people in L.A. are just regular people. Have a job (or are seeking one) or are retired, go on vacations, go the the beach, to the mountains, celebrate various holidays, go shopping, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles