Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 04:56 PM

21 posts, read 99,752 times

Advertisements

I've heard from numerous sources that British (mostly English) people are leaving britain and moving to the American West. The News last night and paper claimed that as many as 100,000 people would have migrated between now and Christmas to the U.S, and as many as 5,000,000 by 2010. I live in Suburban London, i'm thinking of relocating to Poway, San Diego County. Am i one of many then?
The reason i'm leaving is down to the sheer uprise in violent crimes. Last night a 11 year old was shot in the neck and died in a BMX driveby! This morning their was a gunfight in a railway station, everyday theres loads of murders around here, marijuana use is horrific. I'd say 9 in 10 teenagers in my county use it each week, the city parks are full of used needles, bullet casings and blood, graffetti. The particular area i live in is more upstate but if i go two miles downtown theres schools where your'll be stabbed for your lunch money or beaton with baseball bats for your Cell phone. There's laods of rapes and assaults. Mini-mart and Post offices are robbed at gun point.
Another reason why i'd leave this place is the weather. its beeen **** this year. The warmest day was about 85 degrees and most of the summer has been in the 60s. its rained non-stop!
Plus most people cant afford there mortgages with ridiculis house prices. A four bedroom house around here costs £500,000 ($1,100,000). The lot sizes are small, pollution is terrible, crime rates are about 5x that of New York, i'd actually say they are worse than Detroit. In south London there is actually about 500 gangs, street races take place nearby too, and they often result in a hit and run!
I know all the Americans see us as posh, quiet, tea and crumpets and all that stuff. truth be told i've never had tea or crumpets! I mostly drink soda or alcohol, eat pizza and donuts and i dont speak in that accent that you all assume we talk with.
Britain also has a serious problem with immigration. I know you get a lot of Mexicans coming over, but we had 1,000,000 eastern Europeans arrive last year. They do our jobs for half the cost so we dont get any buisness then cant pay the mortgage. There's about 100 polish and bulgarian families within a mile of my house.

Anyway any info on Poway or somewhere else in Southern California because i'm looking to leave this mess behind. I want a warmer climate, less crime, better value houses than here e.g.

Can people please give me some help! Leave comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 05:04 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Hooper View Post

What line of work are you in?
What do expect to pay for housing?
What is you commuting time comfort zone?

London has 500 gangs? You are in luck! Los Angeles only has 463 gangs.

LA Gangs in LA's Neighborhoods - LA Times article 05/13/05 ... LA Community Policing

Old 08-24-2007, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,291 times
Ben - Poway is a very nice, quiet suburban place BUT housing is not cheap in the greater San Diego area so you housing costs may not be cheaper. Also, depending upon where you work, traffic and commuting may be an issue.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:17 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
The main factor in deciding where to live is your price range. Second, do you want a suburban or urban lifestyle. Third, what climate do you want (beach, mountains, valley, desert). The order i listed those in is the order in how expensive the homes are. The beach has the best climate (60's-70s year round, occasionally in the 80's which is what I like), then the valley (mild winters with summers in the 90's). The mountains are freezing in the winter but have the best skiing in all the west, but do get hot in the summer (Big Bear has been in the 80's and 90's lately. They also have some of the best scenery you will ever see in you life. The desert is the worst climate of all, but also the cheapest. In the summers, it is over 100 every day and goes down into the 80's at night. Then in the winter, it drops below freezing.

If you answer those questions, then we will be able to help you more.

Old 08-25-2007, 05:45 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,272 times
Poway is one of the most desirable suburban areas of San Diego. A lot of newer home developments and planned communities, lots of sunshine, very clean, excellent public schools, very family friendly and oriented. Personally, I would find it boring out there as single person. But if you are married with children, it can be an ideal setting. Why Poway? Are you looking at a paticular job opportunity near there?

Old 08-25-2007, 11:44 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times
Quote:

I've heard from numerous sources that British (mostly English) people are leaving britain and moving to the American West. The News last night and paper claimed that as many as 100,000 people would have migrated between now and Christmas to the U.S, and as many as 5,000,000 by 2010. I live in Suburban London, i'm thinking of relocating to Poway, San Diego County. Am i one of many then?
The reason i'm leaving is down to the sheer uprise in violent crimes. Last night a 11 year old was shot in the neck and died in a BMX driveby! This morning their was a gunfight in a railway station, everyday theres loads of murders around here, marijuana use is horrific. I'd say 9 in 10 teenagers in my county use it each week, the city parks are full of used needles, bullet casings and blood, graffetti. The particular area i live in is more upstate but if i go two miles downtown theres schools where your'll be stabbed for your lunch money or beaton with baseball bats for your Cell phone. There's laods of rapes and assaults. Mini-mart and Post offices are robbed at gun point.
Another reason why i'd leave this place is the weather. its beeen **** this year. The warmest day was about 85 degrees and most of the summer has been in the 60s. its rained non-stop!
Plus most people cant afford there mortgages with ridiculis house prices. A four bedroom house around here costs £500,000 ($1,100,000). The lot sizes are small, pollution is terrible, crime rates are about 5x that of New York, i'd actually say they are worse than Detroit. In south London there is actually about 500 gangs, street races take place nearby too, and they often result in a hit and run!
I know all the Americans see us as posh, quiet, tea and crumpets and all that stuff. truth be told i've never had tea or crumpets! I mostly drink soda or alcohol, eat pizza and donuts and i dont speak in that accent that you all assume we talk with.
Britain also has a serious problem with immigration. I know you get a lot of Mexicans coming over, but we had 1,000,000 eastern Europeans arrive last year. They do our jobs for half the cost so we dont get any buisness then cant pay the mortgage. There's about 100 polish and bulgarian families within a mile of my house.

Anyway any info on Poway or somewhere else in Southern California because i'm looking to leave this mess behind. I want a warmer climate, less crime, better value houses than here e.g.

Wow! I had no idea that there was so much violent crime in London. I had no idea that there were gangs . I thought guns were illegal in London and that the police don't even carry them. Guess I have very outdated info. Of all places to choose,why did you choose Poway? If I had the money, I would live closer to the ocean where it is considerably cooler in the summer than Poway or maybe Newport Beach, Laguna Beach?

Old 08-26-2007, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
The main factor in deciding where to live is your price range. Second, do you want a suburban or urban lifestyle. Third, what climate do you want (beach, mountains, valley, desert). The order i listed those in is the order in how expensive the homes are. The beach has the best climate (60's-70s year round, occasionally in the 80's which is what I like), then the valley (mild winters with summers in the 90's). The mountains are freezing in the winter but have the best skiing in all the west, but do get hot in the summer (Big Bear has been in the 80's and 90's lately. They also have some of the best scenery you will ever see in you life. The desert is the worst climate of all, but also the cheapest. In the summers, it is over 100 every day and goes down into the 80's at night. Then in the winter, it drops below freezing.

If you answer those questions, then we will be able to help you more.

Seeing as i currently live in a cooler enviroment i'm looking for somewhere a lot warmer. I like the idea of snowboarding/Skiing and swimming in the same day! I guess somewhere inland, not built up (Suburban) thats within driving distance of LA and SD. Parts of Orange county appeal but Poway seems the best at the moment. Will i be able to surf/swim and Snowbaord in the same day in these areas?
My ideal climate would be 45/75 in winter & 70/95 in winter. I would say Poway again fits that criteria. If you know any other places that fit my description that would be great. Remember im not worrying about costs yet!

Thanks

Old 08-26-2007, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Wow! I had no idea that there was so much violent crime in London. I had no idea that there were gangs . I thought guns were illegal in London and that the police don't even carry them. Guess I have very outdated info. Of all places to choose,why did you choose Poway? If I had the money, I would live closer to the ocean where it is considerably cooler in the summer than Poway or maybe Newport Beach, Laguna Beach?
You only need a license to carry a gun in England. You'd be surprised how easily people can get their hands on them. The police dont tend to carry guns but in London you tend to see them with sub machine guns especially near The PM's house or ****ingham Palace.

The main problems though beside murder/gun crime in England is the street racing and drugs. I frequently see pimped up BMW's or Skylines doing as much as 160mph down the road near my house. its not even a freakin Freeway or Highway.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:20 AM

234 posts, read 1,158,116 times
Quote:

hahhaha more lies man. trust me u cant compare london crime vs detroit. detroit have 900,000 people and london has about 9 million people. london dont have 500 gangs why are u lieing? i heard some NY rappers getting rob out there but you wont hear any LA or detroit rappers getting rob. i even seen some footage on youtube where the Game the rapper from LA was out there and some london guys was trying to act hard and thats when games boys chased them down the streets. trust me on this london gangs are more on canada gang level. USA gangs dont respect neither of them. USA gangs do respect brazilian gangs. here are some facts about london gangs

:Criminologist Dr John Pitts, from the University of Bedfordshire, said: "There are probably no more than 1,500 to 2,000 young people in gangs in all of London, but their impact is enormous."

:A police report on London's gang culture has identified 169 separate groups, with more than a quarter said to have been involved in murders.

:Gangs were found to have around 20 to 30 members, and to commit crimes in smaller groups of three to six.

here is the link : BBC NEWS | England | London | Police identify 169 London gangs

back to what i was saying LA is the gang capital of the world. LA has about 200 black crip gangs and about 75 blood gangs and over 500 mexican gangs. there is over 20,000 asian gang members in LA. 18 street gang has about 20,000 gang members and there main rival is another LA gang named
ms-13 which is the most dangerous gang in the world. MS-13 started in LA. LA has its safe places and it has its very dangerous areas

Old 08-26-2007, 07:23 AM

234 posts, read 1,158,116 times
Quote:

hahhaha more lies man. trust me u cant compare london crime vs detroit. detroit have 900,000 people and london has about 9 million people. london dont have 500 gangs why are u lieing? i heard some NY rappers getting rob out there but you wont hear any LA or detroit rappers getting rob. i even seen some footage on youtube where the Game the rapper from LA was out there and some london guys was trying to act hard and thats when games boys chased them down the streets. trust me on this london gangs are more on canada gang level. USA gangs dont respect neither of them. USA gangs do respect brazilian gangs. here are some facts about london gangs

:Criminologist Dr John Pitts, from the University of Bedfordshire, said: "There are probably no more than 1,500 to 2,000 young people in gangs in all of London, but their impact is enormous."

:A police report on London's gang culture has identified 169 separate groups, with more than a quarter said to have been involved in murders.

:Gangs were found to have around 20 to 30 members, and to commit crimes in smaller groups of three to six.

here is the link : BBC NEWS | England | London | Police identify 169 London gangs

back to what i was saying LA is the gang capital of the world. LA has about 200 black crip gangs and about 75 blood gangs and over 500 mexican gangs. there is over 20,000 asian gang members in LA. 18 street gang has about 20,000 gang members and there main rival is another LA gang named
ms-13 which is the most dangerous gang in the world. MS-13 started in LA. LA has its safe places and it has its very dangerous areas.

here is the link to LA gangs Street Gangs Resource Center - Los Angeles and California | The Gang Experts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles