Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 09:21 PM

11 posts, read 17,231 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Like many, I've decided to move to LA, but I've run into a fundamental logistical problem: do I try to find a job first or do I find an apartment first?

I live in Montreal, Canada and have lived here most of my life (25 yrs total, spent 5 yrs living in New Orleans in my teens), and I'm ready to make the leap.

I've already researched apartments, jobs, forums, neighborhoods, and even cars. I have enough saved up to make the move in June (more than 10K). I have a general idea of what I want to spend, but I'm still confused as to what I should be searching for first.

I thought that finding an apartment would be the first thing to book since I can't really go hunting for a job without a place to sleep. I was going to do the temporary/sublet apartments, but doesn't that also require an initial meeting and inspection or have any of you signed a lease while living elsewhere? What are your recommendations for temporary housings (month to month)?

If booking the job first is better, are companies in LA lenient with giving out of towners time to settle in? Like I send out my resume in May, is it ok for me to suggest that I can only start at the end of June?

A little background about myself, I'll be 30 in March, and I am capable of working in an office environment with web design and graphic design skills. I have experience in email marketing and working for a non-profit organization. I have dual citizenship, so I don't need a work visa.

So far I'm tempted to just send out my resume to see if I get any callbacks, but since we're in the holiday season, I don't want to distract employers with a resume that will only look to be hired in June.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 08:18 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,601,805 times
job first. you don't want to be stuck in a 1 year lease if you can't find a job here.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:22 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
job first. you don't want to be stuck in a 1 year lease if you can't find a job here.
And there's apartments everywhere. Finding a job within a reasonable commute of home is harder.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:25 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,913,657 times
It's a catch 22 unless you have a special job skill where they are recruiting from everywhere. Employers right now want to see you are from here or intend to live here, but hard to do without sufficient funds. Some employers are more lenient than others. Depends on the employer. Some of my friends got hired before they moved out, others had to move out here first. It really depends. LA is in my opinion more of a face to face city, because a lot of people want to move here, but end up not.

There are extended stay type apartments such as Oakwood and AMLI but they run in the $1400 a month range.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:57 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,663 times
L.A. is a huge area, even if you're referring to "just" the City of L.A., and not the wider County or are including other nearby counties. Your commute could be hours a day. You find a job, you know the areas you would consider for living, whether nearby or in a good area for commuting by car or public transportation (look at LA Metro Home). And know what you can afford. What if you don't find a job? Will you still move? Or if you find a job on the other side of the L.A. Basin from your apartment?

Old 12-05-2011, 11:49 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,272,509 times
Job first. You can always stay in Extended Stay hotels till you find one. Find a home based on where your job is.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:26 PM

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the input. I'm going to move to LA regardless of whether of finding a job or not (the point is that I tried at least, but I won't be too upset if things don't work out). But the commute is definitely something to consider, as I've studied traffic on Google Maps in LA, and being stuck 2hrs in traffic on the way to work every day would definitely be an issue.

An extended stay hotel would be great, if only they weren't so ridiculously expensive. I could probably spare a month or two in one, but I wouldn't be able to stay more than that. However it is a temporary solution upon immediate arrival. It'll give me time to sort through the paper work and leasing a car.

Are there any reliable Extended Stays you guys would recommend? I'm looking into the West LA area (Culver City preferably) and hope to find a job nearby. But I won't start applying until maybe March or April.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:42 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,946,406 times
I am a graphic/web designer too. I get work easily out here. As long as you have a strong portfolio, you'll be fine. I would get the apartment first and find a job as soon as I move in. Graphic/Web jobs tend to come fast. I would either move to the Westside or more central like Miracle Mile. All my gigs are on the Westside and I live in Culver City. I'm 10mins from work.

You'll be fine

Old 12-06-2011, 10:37 PM

@Miss Pip:

That's awesome! You're living exactly where I want to be and only 10 mins from work is even better. Westside it is, at least I hope I can afford the rent.

I've been keeping tabs on the jobs in my field and there's a few place that I can see myself applying and working for. It's encouraging to know that graphic/web design jobs are never in short supply in LA. Finally, I get encouraging news from someone, lol.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:13 AM

1,253 posts, read 2,946,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahliamtl View Post
@Miss Pip:

That's awesome! You're living exactly where I want to be and only 10 mins from work is even better. Westside it is, at least I hope I can afford the rent.

I've been keeping tabs on the jobs in my field and there's a few place that I can see myself applying and working for. It's encouraging to know that graphic/web design jobs are never in short supply in LA. Finally, I get encouraging news from someone, lol.
My rent is $1250 for a top floor studio with high ceilings, after a year it will go up to $1300 something (not too sure). If I was on the first floor with regular ceilings it would be cheaper. Right now my salary is 70k, my gig before was 68k. I can afford the rent just fine. Also I can make more when I move up to a senior designers position.

There are cheaper apartments, you can get a studio for $1,000 in the Palms area and you'll still be 10mins from work.

Just keep working on your portfolio/website
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles