Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 10:27 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times

Advertisements

Step up enforcement .. what a novel idea ..

Need law and order and some basic decency .

---
The issue is no longer about the presence of homelessness, but the risks associated with the encampments, according to Galperin.

He said the encampments pose health risks, especially in light of a Hepatitis A outbreak in San Diego that has been linked to homeless encampments, and there are frequent reports that some tents shield criminal activity.

City Controller: LA should step up enforcement to stop growth of homeless encampments – Daily News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 10:29 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
deport them back where they came from! send them to the mines in ohio

Old 09-28-2017, 04:26 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

---
The issue is no longer about the presence of homelessness, but the risks associated with the encampments, according to Galperin.

He said the encampments pose health risks, especially in light of a Hepatitis A outbreak in San Diego that has been linked to homeless encampments, and there are frequent reports that some tents shield criminal activity.

City Controller: LA should step up enforcement to stop growth of homeless encampments – Daily News
That would be common sense just about anywhere except for the big cities of the West Coast.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:02 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
---

I don't think anyone would disagree but there simply aren't enough cops. This is becoming a problem everywhere. I think Cities should take over abandoned lots, maybe old car dealerships and the like. Provide porta potties, build a fence around it and let people do whatever they want as long as they don't make too much noise or start fires. Disturbances could be managed by a couple of private security guards. Once you provide a place for people to sleep it becomes lawful to prohibit them from sleeping on the street.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:57 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't think anyone would disagree but there simply aren't enough cops. This is becoming a problem everywhere. I think Cities should take over abandoned lots, maybe old car dealerships and the like. Provide porta potties, build a fence around it and let people do whatever they want as long as they don't make too much noise or start fires. Disturbances could be managed by a couple of private security guards. Once you provide a place for people to sleep it becomes lawful to prohibit them from sleeping on the street.
I'm pretty much pro-camp, but the bolded is not sufficient by a longshot.

Old 09-29-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I'm pretty much pro-camp, but the bolded is not sufficient by a longshot.
My point was that security guards could manage minor situations and call the Police if their assistance was needed. My experience with that was with a low income apartment complex in a northern California city that was full of young thugs who were stealing, fighting and intimidating the older residents. They put two private security guards in the complex 24-7, the security guards would call the police if someone needs to be removed or arrested but just their presence discouraged a good deal of criminal activity. If you had a homeless camp that was fenced, you could also issue photo ID's and if a 'resident' became a problem just revoke their ID and don't let them in again. There will always be issues with trouble makers but I think the potential in this is to keep homeless people from setting up tent cities in the middle of commercial or residential areas.

Old 09-29-2017, 01:01 PM

8,555 posts, read 10,981,308 times
Build the camps.
Build the camps.
Build the camps.

Bob.

Old 09-29-2017, 03:20 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
My point was that security guards could manage minor situations and call the Police if their assistance was needed. My experience with that was with a low income apartment complex in a northern California city that was full of young thugs who were stealing, fighting and intimidating the older residents. They put two private security guards in the complex 24-7, the security guards would call the police if someone needs to be removed or arrested but just their presence discouraged a good deal of criminal activity. If you had a homeless camp that was fenced, you could also issue photo ID's and if a 'resident' became a problem just revoke their ID and don't let them in again. There will always be issues with trouble makers but I think the potential in this is to keep homeless people from setting up tent cities in the middle of commercial or residential areas.
There's plenty of room in the desert.

Old 09-29-2017, 03:30 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Just thinking about this in terms of la . There aren't that many lots that are just abandoned .
If there is an empty lot it's likely there are plans to develop it in the near future .
Even small lots in the city of L.A are very expensive . I've seen cities where you can buy lots under $10,000
But in L.A you are talking more like $300,000 or more .

Just wondering what you mean by taking over ? Buying it from the current owner or seizing the land from a private owner ?

Even with a fence and security guards would you really want to live next to one of these encampments?

Old 09-29-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Just thinking about this in terms of la . There aren't that many lots that are just abandoned .
If there is an empty lot it's likely there are plans to develop it in the near future .
Even small lots in the city of L.A are very expensive . I've seen cities where you can buy lots under $10,000
But in L.A you are talking more like $300,000 or more .

Just wondering what you mean by taking over ? Buying it from the current owner or seizing the land from a private owner ?

Even with a fence and security guards would you really want to live next to one of these encampments?
I don't live in LA, I live in Sacramento and at least here there are a large number of empty buildings and empty lots in sparsely populated and light industrial areas. I didn't say it would work everywhere but I think it has more potential than anything else I've heard suggested. Unless there is adequate shelter space the Police can't arrest people for sleeping on the sidewalk - so what do you suggest?

And I think you know I didn't mean seizing land but whatever....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles