Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2012, 05:15 PM
wyw wyw started this thread

3 posts, read 6,618 times

Advertisements

Hi we are looking to buy a place instead of renting. with our budget, we can only get a small 2b2b townhouse in Santa Monica/West LA area. But in Ladera Heights our budget allows us to buy a 2000 sqf SFH on a big lot.

The two places are very very different, we are an Asian/White couple, no kids, both work in Santa Monica area. Where would be better for us? How open is Ladera Heights fulks to diversity? How easy would we be able to sell the house if we were to relocate somewhere else in the future?

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 05:42 PM

126 posts, read 674,417 times
Santa Monica. You work there, the schools are great, as are the city services. So you have a smaller place... it's ok and its resale value will hold steady and hopefully increase for when you're ready to move on. You will be fine where ever you decide but it sounds like you have spent little time in Ladera Heights at this point.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:43 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,212,047 times
the only thing i know about ladera heights is that it is mostly wealthy african american folks. wikipedia confirms my observation Ladera Heights, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. i'm not sure if that matters to you at all, but it may be something to consider.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domsey View Post
Santa Monica. You work there, the schools are great, as are the city services. So you have a smaller place... it's ok and its resale value will hold steady and hopefully increase for when you're ready to move on. You will be fine where ever you decide but it sounds like you have spent little time in Ladera Heights at this point.
Thanks Domsey, yeah I am aware that Ladera Heights is also called black beverly hills. I notice there are 13% white and 3% Asian. Are the local people there open to other races?

For Santa Monica, we feel that living in a 2b2b townhouse feels kind of similar to
living in a 2b2b apt, but our monthly housing expensive will increase by $800-$1000 per month (not considering the tax benefit).

What would be the main drawback for Ladera Heights? Culture? Thanks guys!

Old 01-20-2012, 08:16 PM

126 posts, read 674,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyw View Post
Thanks Domsey, yeah I am aware that Ladera Heights is also called black beverly hills. I notice there are 13% white and 3% Asian. Are the local people there open to other races?

For Santa Monica, we feel that living in a 2b2b townhouse feels kind of similar to
living in a 2b2b apt, but our monthly housing expensive will increase by $800-$1000 per month (not considering the tax benefit).

I don't have much personal experience with Ladera Heights. I had a friend who lived near the border in Westchester and it was nice. Very diverse community. I think in any residential area you will lose a little bit of "culture" -- but with a car you'll never be out of touch. You know, speaking from experience, you might want to sit on the downpayment a little while longer. It might make sense to rent until you find the house AND the location you want. Location really is everything. Think about it -- every plot of land is unique. There is no where else on earth exactly like it. You can change the house, but you can't change the location. This is advice I'm sure you've heard and it is advice my uncle gave me which I shrugged off as a truism, but believe me when I say that if you love your house but you don't love where your house is located, after the initial "OMG I own a house" delirium wears off, that location thing will start to eat away at you.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:10 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,637,640 times
Quote:

It will increase by more than just mortgage + PITA

Why would you buy in a continually declining market where buying is significantly more expensive than renting AND your down payment is money that isn't earning anything as an investment?

Making tge situation absolutely awful is that you are not sure how long you will be living there.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:20 PM

120 posts, read 480,422 times
Quote:
Are the local people there open to other races?
no, they are not... and are the blacks there are openly pushing for segregation

Old 01-21-2012, 12:42 AM

276 posts, read 1,019,575 times
If it is called the "Black Beverly Hills" what do whites and others who live there call themselves??

Ladera is a nice area to live. It is diverse, and you can't beat the location. Under 10 min to LAX, MDR, BH, and almost any other place you want to go.

Living in BH for many years, I can tell you that the response for fire/police is under 2 min, and it is the same for Ladera. The views are beautiful of the south bay, beach, hills, downtown sky-line. I have many friends in Ladera and we meet several tmes a month to walk the Baldwin Hills Conservacy on Jefferson/Culver City area.

Do not shun Ladera. You would be making a mistake.

BTW, I know of a nice Townhouse in Santa Monica for like $799K is you have interest, let me know. I am not in Real Estate LOL!

There are some excellent buys/properties in Ladera right now as there are all over LA.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:32 PM

Thanks LizzyNola

We were there last weekend and really like the area.

What do you think of this community:
5301 West GOLDENWOOD Dr
Inglewood, CA 90302

It's south of Slauson, close to the school. My wife seems to like the community above (north of ) slauson with some ranch style houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles