Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 07:14 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,597,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
I totally agree! After careful consideration, much research, and a visit to the campus, I am trying to discourage her from USC. Even though that has a reknown film school. Am I correct in assuming the student film makers will most likely post the auditions on places like LACasting.com and such anyway?

Anyone know anything about Chapman? It's nearly the size of her high school! It seems so ... little. UCLA (providing she can get in) seems to be the one I am leaning toward most. Hope she likes it.....

Just for the heck of it -- all you actors out there -- what are your "real" jobs? *smile*
Just wanted to give my 2 cents on Chapman. It is not as 'elite' as UCLA or USC, but it is a great school. A girl who lives down our street, goes there and absolutely loves it. It was not her first choice school. She wanted to go to Cal Poly but didn't get accepted. She is not in the film dept, she is taking business classes I think. But she cant say enough good things about that school. She is trying to recruit my son! She is a sophomore this year. She has talked about her small classes and how much the professors care about the students, and she likes that the area around the school is safe & nice. She was a very good student in high school, AP classes and all. She said its not a cake walk, that she has to work pretty hard to keep her grades up. So although Chapman is not the same type of school as UCLA and USC, it is much smaller. I would think it would create more of a tight-knit student body. I would be happy to have my kids there!

I really don't think you can go wrong with the schools you are considering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 07:26 PM

128 posts, read 782,112 times
Quote:
I totally agree! After careful consideration, much research, and a visit to the campus, I am trying to discourage her from USC. Even though that has a reknown film school. Am I correct in assuming the student film makers will most likely post the auditions on places like LACasting.com and such anyway?

Anyone know anything about Chapman? It's nearly the size of her high school! It seems so ... little. UCLA (providing she can get in) seems to be the one I am leaning toward most. Hope she likes it.....

Just for the heck of it -- all you actors out there -- what are your "real" jobs? *smile*

Isn't the UCLA campus just gorgeous? It's so beautifully landscaped and the buildings are placed just right. Your daughter will be really fit from climbing up and down UCLA's small hills. The Sculpture Garden and the Botanical Garden are sublime.

One of the bigger danger of picking USC for film school is that your daughter MIGHT CHANGE HER MIND about that. Or drop out, or, yes this might happen to, fail. So as she looks around, what will she fall back on? USC has cultivated strong professional programs like law, business, medical, engineering, public administration, film, etc., sometimes neglecting some of the more run-of-the-mill degree programs. UCLA, at the last count has 128 majors. USC claims 150, 20 of which are in music and 21 in engineering.

Also, there's a world of difference between Westwood and the USC neighborhood. It's not trivial. USC students know this and that's why every other third resident in Westwood is a Trojan. They never have the decency to cover up the SC paraphenalia though, but it's ok, Bruins tend to be non-chalant about such things.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:33 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,854 times
[quote=TheRealAngelion;1492935]
Quote:

Although she is your daughter and I assume you will be paying her college bill, why in the world would you discourage her from USC--especially knowing that's her first choice? That doesn't seem like a very supportive thing to do IMO. USC is an excellent school and it's film school is perhaps the best and most renown in the country.

As for Chapman, it is a good, second tier school. Not prestigious at all and is not where the creme of the crop go. Chapman is really not on the radar for kids who think they are good enough to get into a UCLA or USC. The school is hardly known outside of California. It has more of a regional reputation. However, it's film school is very good and is one of the bright spots.
isn't chapman a prepare-for-second-career sort of institution? i've never heard of any college-aged students going there, only working adults returning to school for a(nother) degree.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:58 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,323,961 times
Quote:

Although she is your daughter and I assume you will be paying her college bill, why in the world would you discourage her from USC--especially knowing that's her first choice? That doesn't seem like a very supportive thing to do IMO. USC is an excellent school and it's film school is perhaps the best and most renown in the country.
As for Chapman, it is a good, second tier school. Not prestigious at all and is not where the creme of the crop go. Chapman is really not on the radar for kids who think they are good enough to get into a UCLA or USC. The school is hardly known outside of California. It has more of a regional reputation. However, it's film school is very good and is one of the bright spots.

Chapman is her "safety" school. And yes, we are footing the bill.

Last edited by londonbarcelona; 09-13-2007 at 11:16 PM..

Old 09-13-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertho View Post
Isn't the UCLA campus just gorgeous? It's so beautifully landscaped and the buildings are placed just right. Your daughter will be really fit from climbing up and down UCLA's small hills. The Sculpture Garden and the Botanical Garden are sublime.

One of the bigger danger of picking USC for film school is that your daughter MIGHT CHANGE HER MIND about that. Or drop out, or, yes this might happen to, fail. So as she looks around, what will she fall back on? USC has cultivated strong professional programs like law, business, medical, engineering, public administration, film, etc., sometimes neglecting some of the more run-of-the-mill degree programs. UCLA, at the last count has 128 majors. USC claims 150, 20 of which are in music and 21 in engineering.

Also, there's a world of difference between Westwood and the USC neighborhood. It's not trivial. USC students know this and that's why every other third resident in Westwood is a Trojan. They never have the decency to cover up the SC paraphenalia though, but it's ok, Bruins tend to be non-chalant about such things.
I sense you are offended. I am sorry. I'm not trying to diss any of the schools. I respect them all for their differences. Brooke won't be a film school student, however, she has an interest in being as "actress." I changed my major three times before deciding on one I'd never use. I'm sure I'll feel the same as my parents did after four years of footing a hefty bill.

My biggest hesitation about USC is our lack of knowledge of the area, knowing it can be dangerous if you travel into the wrong area, and knowing what it feels like to have a dead 17 year oldalready.
(www.Taylorburgstahler.memory-of.com) (Moderator, I totally understand if you remove it, I was only using it as a way of explaining *why* I feel such hesitation.)
This is a HUGE step for us to allow her to pursue her college of choice so far from home. She keeps changing her mind from USC, to UCLA to NYU. (Amongst others.)
I'm just trying to navigate a very confusing and mind-boggling process with a highly intelligent, competitive, and hormonally charged 16 year old. Yeah, your right, that was probably too much information.... *smile*

Old 09-13-2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:

Unlike my daughter, I am less interested in prestige than I am in whether it is a "good fit" for her.
What I'm trying to avoid is her dropping out to attend an entirely different school.
Changing majors is a no brainer, a lot of the kids do it.
We have so much stress at this time in our lives, I'm trying to anticipate problems and find solutions before they happen.
Chapman is her safety school.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:28 AM

11 posts, read 49,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
UCLA - you need the brains and it is safer - surrounding areas are great.

USC - all you need is money & surrounding areas are crap.
Not true. UCLA students pay for class but don't have to attend. They can buy their class notes at the book store. So many of the students have an "attitude" problem and the overall climate is persnickety (If thats a word!) The professors really do not care and overall, in my opinion, is not worth the drama.

On the other hand, USC has fabulous professors who are truly knowledgeble in their fields.....after all you pay a little, you get a little more. The USC alumnie connection after graduation is awesome. They have new developement all around the campus, the immediate area is relatively safe, the students are diverse and friendly, and USC graduate on your resume goes a heck of alot further than UCLA anything!!!!

Old 09-14-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
My husband just came back from a quick visit to USC and said that it was very close to the ghetto. However, it appeared to those he spoke with (co-workers) that even though it's next to Compton(sp?) the on campus crime was low.

I am concerned about safety as she is only going to be 17 when entering her freshman year.
Thanks for the quick response.

USC is not any where close to Compton. USC is just south of redeveloping downtown Los Angeles. I work in the immediate area of USC and the area has changed dramatically over the years. USC alumnie (especially 7 figure + income alumnie) have contributed to purchasing land and property all around the campus. There are campus police patroling 24 hours a day (same as UCLA Campus Police). Crime occurs everywhere, even in Westwood, Santa Monica, and downtown. But it is relatively safe on and immediately around USC. I've met a number of graduates from both schools and USC graduates seem to be a bit....no....alot more educated than their UCLA cohorts! Good luck with her choice.

My daughter went to a university in Tennesee at age 16 so I too had some of the same concerns to address. She completed a degree there, returned to California, then attended Long Beach State for another degree. She has just completed her last degree at USC and says she would not change her experience at USC for anything in the world! Good luck to you!

Old 09-14-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Since you have worked in law enforcement in the past, how safe is the enviornment ON the campus?

Is there much of an on campus environment? Or do most student s choose to stay off campus?
Currently still in law enforcement in the USC Campus area.......relatively safe on the campus and the immediate area. And once again the area is changing for the better. You could , however, obtain crime statistics from the campus police form both schools and the police departments near the surrounding area if you want to view statistical data to have some numbers to compare the two schools!

Old 09-14-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
They are both excellent schools. Your daughter would be lucky to get into either one. You really have nothing to worry about if these are truly viable options for her in terms of her academic credentials. In fact, you should be quite proud of her. And, yes, USC is not in the best part of town, but that is in no way a deterrent to the school's ability to attract very high caliber students and professors to campus. Trojans are very loyal to USC. They love the place and have a very strong alumni network. The fact that the campus is located in an undesirable neighborhood is just part of the fun and adventure of going to school there. It can also be a very educational, eye opening experience.

Well said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles