Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2012, 03:39 PM

10 posts, read 16,709 times

Advertisements

My wife has a job offer in Seal Beach and myself near Downtown LA. We are looking for a neighborhood to rent somewhere in between our jobs.

We are relocating from a medium sized city in Michigan and would like a walkable/bike-able, relatively safe, vibrant neighborhood with parks, stores and other conveniences and easy access to the expressways/public transportation. Currently, we live in a walkable downtown-area neighborhood and would like something similar, if possible. We are looking for a two bedroom apartment and our budget is $1000-1500/month. Is this realistic for the area? I was looking at downtown Long Beach as a possible option. Does it match what I described above? How about other areas?

Also, about the commute. We would like to keep it 30-45 minutes for either of us. It looks like it is about a 45 minute drive from downtown to Seal Beach, under good traffic conditions, but I know it could take much longer with traffic. If there is great place that is closer to one or the other, either of us would be willing to have a longer commute as well.

We have no children yet, so schools are not important.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 04:22 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Check the blue line route and live near the far south end.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:30 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,760,647 times
As Charles said, live near the Blue Line. Judging by what you're asking for, you're looking at parts of Long Beach, notably Downtown and Wrigley. You could also look at Belmont Shore, Belmont Heights, Bixby Knolls, California Heights, and Signal Hill and be fairly close to the rail. All of those districts have varying degrees of safety and such, but they're mostly urban and close to amenities.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:25 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,626,960 times
Long Beach probably. Not sure your budget will cut it for the Downtown Long Beach area though.

For more suburban, Lakewood probably would work. Not sure how getting to the Blue Line works though. Its close, and it takes you directly to downtown LA, but Im just unfamiliar with that line and where you would park and so forth.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:13 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,457 times
Long Beach definitely sounds like a good choice for you, but from Long Beach I think you'll have to deal with an hour-long commute to downtown LA, which is pretty normal. The Blue Line takes about exactly an hour to get to downtown LA. A friend of mine who lives in Belmont Shores says it takes him about an hour to drive to work in downtown LA. Seal Beach is right next to Long Beach so it will be an easy commute, though I don't know if public transit would be an option.

I just moved to Long Beach from the Bay Area about 2 weeks ago and I really like it, I don't drive but it's a pretty small and dense city and it takes about 20 minutes to bike along a nice bike path on the beach to go to Belmont Shores. I live a bit east of downtown Long Beach in a really nice rehabbed $1500 2 bedroom. It's kind of a goofy area though and isn't for everyone--lots of junkie-looking people wandering around especially if you go west towards the Wal-Mart. But there are some cool places to eat and drink around here, and it just about feels walkable. Downtown is alright and it has some new condo complexes sprouting up here and there.

If you want a nicer and quieter area I'd look at the Alamito Beach area which is basically in between downtown and Belmont Shores. Lots of for rent signs there and it's a cute area, lots of old bungalow houses mixed in with apartment buildings. You'd be further from the Blue Line though.

Belmont Shores is really nice but might be a bit out of your budget. Lots of shops and restaurants on 2nd and the housing around there is nice. Again, you'd be even further from the Blue Line though, but closer to Seal Beach.

Generally if you're pretty close to the beach, Long Beach feels pretty urban and it's easy to get around by bike, I haven't even had to use the local public transit here. The beach isn't the best (lots of noisy oil wells just off shore) but on a sunny day like today it's nice to go there and soak up some rays, and the bike path on the beach is really pleasant to ride on and really convenient for getting from the downtown area to Belmont Shores and back. The further north you go in Long Beach the more suburban and blah it gets.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:10 PM

829 posts, read 2,955,053 times
FIND A JOB IN SEAL BEACH!!!

I have always thought that place would be one of the greatest places to live.

But like others say long beach would be a good spot as well for what you need.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:22 AM

4 posts, read 18,828 times
Probably check out Hermosa Beach, Cerritos, Manhattan Beach, or Torrance. But in all honesty I would try finding a place in the Seal Beach area. Yeah, you are going to have to commute, but the neighborhood and community is just great. You will fall in love with the little sleepy city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles