Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 06:39 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,959,676 times

Advertisements

Ok, if i am driving on Sunset Blvd and want to turn into Chick-Fil-A which is on the OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD, how do I do so since there is no middle lane? Most streets have a "middle lane" but Sunset and Santa Monica don't. Also, the lines are solid which means you can't cross it obviously but I see lots of people crossing them illegally in order to enter the driveway....

Do you just have to drive around the block? That could take 15 min if there is traffic....

How do you enter businesses on the other side of the street if there is no middle lane?

I also have this problem on Santa Monica Blvd/Crescent Heights when I want to enter the BOA parking lot... I'm always driving on the other side of the road and there is no way to "get in" cause there is no middle lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 09:10 AM

215 posts, read 490,943 times
When there is no middle lane, the lane you are in becomes the turn lane legally. The people behind you may get pissed but if there are multiple lanes on your side they will just go around.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:31 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
And you can cross a double yellow line to make a left turn. You just can't cross a double double yellow line since that represents an island.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:52 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
From the CA driver handbook: California Driver Handbook - Traffic Lanes

Two solid yellow lines indicate no passing. Never drive to the left of these lines unless you are:
  • Turning left at an intersection.
  • Turning into or out of a private road or driveway.
  • In a carpool lane that has a designated entrance on the left.
  • Instructed by construction or other signs to drive on the other side of the road because your side of the road is closed or blocked.
the alternative is to keep making right turns until you reach the Chick-Fil-A.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:39 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,040,566 times
jackie100, how on earth did you ever pass your driver's test? seriously, it boggles the mind.

in the past, you've created threads describing your fear of curved, narrow freeways and the resultant difficulty and anxiety with which you attempt to maneuver through said roadways.

there's also that time you created a thread asking about the parking situation in "steep hill-like areas" due to your phobia of driving or parking on hills. really?

now you're asking about making a left turn when there's no shared-turn lane (i think that's what you meant by "middle lane")?

i dunno what to say...except that i never cease to be entertained and bewildered by your posts.

with so many hangups about driving in mildly challenging road conditions, my first reaction is that you'd be a prime candidate to live a mass transit-oriented lifestyle. but wait - you don't like taking public transportation at all. maybe you should get a chauffeur instead?

jackie100, i'm sorry if i came across as being harsh. i should thank you for providing me with a few chuckles on an otherwise ho-hum day.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:48 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
with so many hangups about driving in mildly challenging road conditions, my first reaction is that you'd be a prime candidate to live a mass transit-oriented lifestyle. but wait - you don't like taking public transportation at all. maybe you should get a chauffeur instead?
Your Selections:

Shoes, Women, Sneakers & Athletic Shoes, Walking

523 items found

Shoes, Clothing, and More | Zappos.com

Old 03-14-2012, 11:49 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
jackie100, how on earth did you ever pass your driver's test? seriously, it boggles the mind.

in the past, you've created threads describing your fear of curved, narrow freeways and the resultant difficulty and anxiety with which you attempt to maneuver through said roadways.

there's also that time you created a thread asking about the parking situation in "steep hill-like areas" due to your phobia of driving or parking on hills. really?

now you're asking about making a left turn when there's no shared-turn lane (i think that's what you meant by "middle lane")?

i dunno what to say...except that i never cease to be entertained and bewildered by your posts.

jackie100, i'm sorry if i came across as being harsh. i should thank you for providing me with a few chuckles on an otherwise ho-hum day.
Don't forget about taking Sunset to avoid the ever-dangerous Santa Monica Blvd in Hollywood!

I love the posts too - gives me a little perspective on the types of Angelenos I don't interact with as often on a daily basis.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:53 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
I heard there are curves on Sunset.

O ... M ... G!

Old 03-14-2012, 12:20 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times
Oh Jackie, how we love your threads.

A serous answer to a troll's question: drive past the business and turn left at the next traffic light. Then turn right on the next street. Go around the block and turn right on sunset. This will allow you to turn right into the business you're trying to access. If you're worried about the "extra 15 minutes", leave 15 minutes earlier.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:53 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
i should thank you for providing me with a few chuckles on an otherwise ho-hum day.
She oughtta win some kind of award for this. Outstanding Achievement!

Answering the OP question: In city traffic, right turns are your friend. Don't block traffic waiting for a break in oncoming traffic that will never happen, in a vain attempt to make that left turn. Angelenos, in particular, really don't like that stuff...and they often make it known, face-face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles