Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 10:14 AM

4 posts, read 4,348 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to California in June for a job in Santa Ana (405 and Harbor Blvd area.. not too far from South Coast Plaza). My fiance and I are both 24, black, lesbian professionals. We also have a small (under 10 lbs.) dog. I'd prefer to be in between LA and work but I'd consider renting somewhere in the opposite direction as long as I could keep my commute time under 45 minutes. I'd prefer something relatively updated in a decent area for about $1500/month for a 2BR. Whether it's and apartment or condo doesn't matter and I'm not pressed to be in a community with a sizable black or lesbian population but I would prefer to be somewhere that would be considered age appropriate for us. Being near the beach is a definite plus. I've been looking in HB as well as Belmont Shores but I tend to keep finding properties in that "Slater Slums" area that everyone says to avoid and everything that I find in Belmont Shores that I like tends to be about $1800. I'm relocating from the Detroit area so I have more than enough street smarts to deal but a relatively safe location (no gang violence or anything like that) that's pet-friendly with a decent looking interior are top priorities. Can anyone suggest anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 02:52 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
If you'd be comfortable in an area that is quasi barrio (not an 80 - 90% Hispanic one, but one with a mix including say 25 - 40% Hispanics) that would open a few horizons. Of course, it's not entirely crime free but nothing like serious hood. For example the "barrios" of OC - they are not like ELA / Compton but are certainly not picket fence suburbia.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:53 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
I'd definitely explore Long Beach, it's about a 30 minute rush hour drive from the Santa Ana area, and the rents are cheaper than Orange County. Alamitos Beach is pretty nice and is the area between downtown and Belmont Shores. Downtown has a lot of new condos but a lot of riff-raff. The area just east of downtown has some older condo-style buildings which are decent, but mixed in with a lot of run-down apartment buildings with a lot of riff-raff types. I think Alamitos Beach has less riff-raff, especially if you're closer to the beach. Belmont Shores is nice but yeah it is expensive.

Also the area just west of CSU Long Beach is nice, there's an area with a bunch of apartment buildings on quiet shady streets around Los Altos Park, maybe check out that area.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:45 AM

884 posts, read 1,172,100 times
Welcome from a fellow Detroit transplant! I agree with the Long beach suggestion. I would also suggest Costa Mesa for beach proximity and commute time. I live in north orange county and have driven to Irvine in the morning before (which isn't too far off) , and it's a pain, so I recommend living as close to work as possible.

Hit me up if you want other advice, it's quite an adjustment moving here from MI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles