Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,276 times

Advertisements

I know there are so many transplant threads on here, about people moving! It's not an uncommon thing at all, so I will try to keep my info brief here. I'm seeking advice regarding places to rent and of course, prices. Apartment sites only offer so much.

Limitations/Preferences:
--I have a big dog. BIG dog. 100 lbs. I currently live in a house w/o a yard, we go on 3-4 walks daily. I'll be looking into possibly/likely hiring a dogwalker for his midday walks. He will be 9 years old when we move, is a malamute mix. Not neutered.

--I am looking for something with 12-month renewable leases. I'm in my mid-20s and just finally finishing college, so I'm not adverse to either living in an area with more working professionals or more students, or completely removed from either, if that makes any sense. I enjoy nightlife, but it doesn't have to be accessible by foot, but preferably by transit, at least?

--I've gotten over the sticker shock of LA rent rates (Between MN/WI, you pay an average of $1 per square foot, to give you an idea of the difference, lol), but the max I'd go on a studio is $1k...and that's only if it's perrrfeccct. I'm more flexible/open with 1 or 2 bedrooms.

--Totally cool with/prefer 1beds/studios.

--Will have a car...require parking

--If it helps, my field is in recreation - water parks, theme parks, amusement parks, zoos, museums, etc. No, I'm not looking to work for Disney, lol.

--Also, HOW THE EFF do you deal with the catch-22 of apartment hunting for new residents? You can't apply to most places w/o a job, but most jobs won't hire you w/o a current CA address. Or is this a myth?

--What is availability like in January?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 11:39 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,607,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reibish View Post
I know there are so many transplant threads on here, about people moving! It's not an uncommon thing at all, so I will try to keep my info brief here. I'm seeking advice regarding places to rent and of course, prices. Apartment sites only offer so much.

Limitations/Preferences:
--I have a big dog. BIG dog. 100 lbs. I currently live in a house w/o a yard, we go on 3-4 walks daily. I'll be looking into possibly/likely hiring a dogwalker for his midday walks. He will be 9 years old when we move, is a malamute mix. Not neutered.

--I am looking for something with 12-month renewable leases. I'm in my mid-20s and just finally finishing college, so I'm not adverse to either living in an area with more working professionals or more students, or completely removed from either, if that makes any sense. I enjoy nightlife, but it doesn't have to be accessible by foot, but preferably by transit, at least?

--I've gotten over the sticker shock of LA rent rates (Between MN/WI, you pay an average of $1 per square foot, to give you an idea of the difference, lol), but the max I'd go on a studio is $1k...and that's only if it's perrrfeccct. I'm more flexible/open with 1 or 2 bedrooms.

--Totally cool with/prefer 1beds/studios.

--Will have a car...require parking

--If it helps, my field is in recreation - water parks, theme parks, amusement parks, zoos, museums, etc. No, I'm not looking to work for Disney, lol.

--Also, HOW THE EFF do you deal with the catch-22 of apartment hunting for new residents? You can't apply to most places w/o a job, but most jobs won't hire you w/o a current CA address. Or is this a myth?

--What is availability like in January?

Thanks!!
It doesn't sound like you have ....

Old 05-04-2012, 11:44 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,142,682 times
IMO, you've got the cart before the horse.
Get a job first then look for a place to live that fits your lifestyle and budget near work.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:26 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,979,536 times
I would dump the dog and find a job first.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:40 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,607,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
ever had a dog?

Old 05-04-2012, 12:49 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,083,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
IMO, you've got the cart before the horse.
Get a job first then look for a place to live that fits your lifestyle and budget near work.
Yup, reducing your commute distance is really key in LA, it's a huuuuuge geographic area with awful traffic. And don't be surprised if landlords turn you down because you have a big dog, I don't really know what the market is like here for pets but in the Bay Area any pet is forbidden by most landlords, even a small cat.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:07 PM

368 posts, read 946,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
Im guessing (hoping) you've never had a pet.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:00 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,979,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSLM View Post
Im guessing (hoping) you've never had a pet.
Ok...perhaphs "give" the dog to a friend or family member would be a better way to put it.

A cross country move is hard enough.....I wouldn't want the extra burden.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:27 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,463,512 times
You're going to share a studio with a 100lb dog and leave him alone all day while you're at work? eeek

Old 05-04-2012, 03:38 PM

884 posts, read 1,172,668 times
I suggest you rent a room from someone in a house who likes big dogs and is fine with yours. Don't leave a malamute in a studio apartment all day. If your max is 1k, you can't swing anything on your own that would make your dog comfy. You could also try to go in with a roommate or two on a house. I am just thinking a malamute really needs a yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles