Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 5,138 times

Advertisements

My husband is taking a job in Los Angeles. We are in our 30's with two young boys. We have to live in a home not an apartment (my older son is severely autistic) and he can get a bit loud in an apartment. My husband is willing to commute 30-45 minutes out. We can spend $3000-$4500 on rent. Is a 2-3 bedroom home wishful thinking? Help! I was looking at Santa Monica. Would prefer to be closer to the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 02:41 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,800,025 times
Downtown Los Angeles just to be clear?

Not near the beach but decent schools and most likely more affordable than Santa Monica:

South Pasadena
Burbank

With Metrolink (trains) you can extend your search radius so even Santa Clarita (not sure if under 45 minutes though - better check)

Here's a good tool for looking for candidate neighborhoods:

California School Performance Maps

Old 05-09-2012, 10:19 AM

102 posts, read 513,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurenmidwest View Post
My husband is taking a job in Los Angeles. We are in our 30's with two young boys. We have to live in a home not an apartment (my older son is severely autistic) and he can get a bit loud in an apartment. My husband is willing to commute 30-45 minutes out. We can spend $3000-$4500 on rent. Is a 2-3 bedroom home wishful thinking? Help! I was looking at Santa Monica. Would prefer to be closer to the beach.
I would also look in parts of Orange County depending on what part of LA your husband will work. Orange County tends to be a little more family friendly.

Burbank would be a nice place for that price, but it is still at least half and hour from the beach. Santa Clarita is even further, and is much more desert, and so it bakes during summer.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:33 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,145,152 times
Whereabouts in LA is your husband's job?

Old 05-09-2012, 12:32 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,312,170 times
If you want to rent a small home in Santa Monica, your budget would have to be closer to 4500 than 3000, usually. But doable. Santa Monica is safe. Most of the city of LA isn't suitable for your purposes.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:29 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,902,064 times
El Segundo is doable though the commute is closer to 45-60 mins if we're talking typical rush hour. Close to the beach. Family-oriented. Safe. 3BR home close by just rented out to a family for $3600/mo. Aren't many homes for rent in town though.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:37 PM

20 posts, read 56,030 times
Santa Clarita.. specifically Valencia.
OR Stevenson Ranch
your house budget will get a long way

Old 05-24-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_rivers19 View Post
Santa Clarita.. specifically Valencia.
OR Stevenson Ranch
your house budget will get a long way
The problem with Valencia, is it is far from the beach, and has some of the worst weather in LA county! It is either hot or cold, and always windy. You would be stuck in a suburbia far away from any stimulation. Valencia itself is fine, but is surrounded by depressed communities. The people in the Santa Clarita Valley are strange, and most of them on drugs, especially the kids. It is a depressing area one should avoid. There are reasons it is cheaper!

Stick to the LA basin with the money you have! There are lots of great areas down closer to the beach.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:59 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,758,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtall View Post
The problem with Valencia, is it is far from the beach, and has some of the worst weather in LA county! It is either hot or cold, and always windy. You would be stuck in a suburbia far away from any stimulation. Valencia itself is fine, but is surrounded by depressed communities. The people in the Santa Clarita Valley are strange, and most of them on drugs, especially the kids. It is a depressing area one should avoid. There are reasons it is cheaper!

Stick to the LA basin with the money you have! There are lots of great areas down closer to the beach.
We have friends there and have been looking there ourselves. The above poster is very presumptuous. Our friends are not strange nor are they or their children on drugs. They have wonderful neighbors (who are not drug addicts) where they are and would not steer us to live somewhere with our three young children that was so horrible or unsafe. Valencia and nearby Castaic are not cheap by any means. And Castaic has a beautiful lake with a beach and recreation area.

I can't wait to get there to check it out with my family. Our friends love it there. Good luck with your search. We are moving east coast to west coast hopefully very soon.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:26 PM

Default Flamingomo Stay Out!

Flamingomo, I am not talking to you. I am giving advice to the OP, not you. Believe whatever you want, I don't care. There is no way that the OP would want to live in the SCV, it is far from the beach, and far from nice weather. Enjoy your giant drainage basin, I'm glad somebody will.
Flamingomo, I am not sure what you are comparing Valencia and Castaic to, but they are still some of the cheapest cities in all of LA county. It is just a fact.

Just because you convince yourself that something is nice, does not make it true. These people need honest opinions not some hyped-up half truth that you make up about this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles