Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 11:25 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDayGuy View Post
That's easy.

Ask an East Coast Transplant a question about what's going on in the world, and they'll talk about politics, the economy or perhaps the struggle for reproductive rights.

As an LA-native the same question, and they'll ramble about the Kardashians, Brad Pitt or some freeway off-ramp closure.
No one in L.A. that I know. Maybe you hang around a Hollywood crowd or friends who watch cable TV? Many Americans throughout the country follow the travails of celebrities or sports much more than politics. I grew up in L.A. and then lived in Sacramento, then Washington, DC. DC was the first place I saw women wearing running shoes going to work (easier to see there, with a widely-used mass transit system), switching to less comfortable but more fashionable shoes when they got to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 12:03 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
These "signs" are all nonsense. I'm an L.A. native, and I hardly ever watch T.V.! My transplant friends are all far more involved with the shows and celebrities than I am. I don't own a pair of Vans, and I never have. I usually wear a pair of walking shoes, or I wear sandals.

No matter how hard people try, there is no way to pigeonhole or categorize the 10 million people who live in L.A. County. And no, I'm not taking this seriously at all. I find it amusing that this is the way some people spend their time!

Old 05-24-2012, 12:11 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,564,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
These "signs" are all nonsense. I'm an L.A. native, and I hardly ever watch T.V.! My transplant friends are all far more involved with the shows and celebrities than I am. I don't own a pair of Vans, and I never have. I usually wear a pair of walking shoes, or I wear sandals.

No matter how hard people try, there is no way to pigeonhole or categorize the 10 million people who live in L.A. County. And no, I'm not taking this seriously at all. I find it amusing that this is the way some people spend their time!
So your default footwear is not athletic shoes.... If you had a more meaningful way of speding all your time, you would'nt be reading this.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:42 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,948,025 times
I'm a CA native and I haven't worn Vans since I was a kid. I'm like the EC stereotype in that I where Nikes EVERYWHERE. I'm talking about Air Force 1s, Terminators, Dunks, Lowtop Dunks, Vandals, Air Revolutions...

Old 05-24-2012, 04:22 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Wait, isn't it supposed to be that East Coast transplants are highly fashionable, suave and sophisticated, while we on the Left Coast are sloppy, lazy fashion dregs? Or is that not reflected in the footwear?

Incidentally, Sketchers have given Vans a run for their money as the "California shoe" of late.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:07 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,491,104 times
Vans and Skechers are made in China, I think a lot of east coasters wear New Balance which is made right here in the USA

Old 05-24-2012, 06:17 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
Vans and Skechers are made in China, I think a lot of east coasters wear New Balance which is made right here in the USA
Not all New Balance shoes are made in the USA.
Their website states:

"We made our first pair of running shoes in 1938 and hold the distinction as the only company that still manufactures shoes in the USA. One out of every four pair of shoes we sell in the U.S. is made or assembled here."

The rest is made in the UK or who-knows-where-else.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:19 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,966 times
Well, let's put it like this:

Last time was in LA: I was walking down Hill Street - I ran into a cop and I asked him how far the Pershing Square station was: He said "next block" and then he said "you're from the East Coast - like New York, right?". I said "yes". He said "well you have a New Yorkish accent and it's usually the East Coast folks that ask about the subway."

Old 05-24-2012, 06:48 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,233,328 times
I'm from Boston originally. When I lived there, I wouldn't have been caught dead in sneakers of any kind except MAYBE converse. I usually wore black boots.

I've lived in LA for a total of 10 years and have only been wearing sneakers for the past year or so. I got a pair (Nikes, I think) so I could start exercising. Then I realized how comfy they were so I bought a pair of purple PF Flyers which I pretty much wear all the time now. I'm also wearing sandals fairly regularly for the first time in my life, heh.

I don't know if any of that has a point, but yes. East Coasters tend to "dress up" more. LA is definitely more laid back and comfortable, and I definitely prefer that..

Old 05-24-2012, 07:11 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
No one in L.A. that I know. Maybe you hang around a Hollywood crowd or friends who watch cable TV? Many Americans throughout the country follow the travails of celebrities or sports much more than politics. I grew up in L.A. and then lived in Sacramento, then Washington, DC. DC was the first place I saw women wearing running shoes going to work (easier to see there, with a widely-used mass transit system), switching to less comfortable but more fashionable shoes when they got to work.
You will see that all over Sacramento. The women will also go for walks wearing their running shoes and change into them again to go to lunch.

I think people on both coasts have too much free time if they spend it looking at what shoes people wear, or caring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles