Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 10:39 AM

418 posts, read 1,734,210 times

Advertisements

I apologize in advance for the sacrilege.

When I told people I was moving here, many of them said "Oh! You HAVE to go to In-N-Out!" When I tell people that I now live here, In-N-Out is one of the first things they mention. And of course, whenever you drive by, there is a line snaking out of the parking lot into the street. There's an article in today's LA Times referring to In-N-Out as "perfection."

So I went, hoping for this amazing experience. And I got:

A cheeseburger that basically tastes like a McDonald's cheeseburger.

Fries that, while I appreciate they're made from real potatoes, were dry and unremarkable.

A Coke that was fine.

I know, sometimes a restaurant can have an off day. So I went back to the In-N-Out in my neighborhood several times. And I went to several different locations in other parts of town. I really wanted to give it a chance. But I had pretty much the same experience every time. I think I'm done trying.

I know, I know: In-N-Out is homegrown. They butcher and deliver their own meat, bake their own buns, slice their own fries. They apparently pay their employees a very good wage and have generous incentives for top managers. That's great. They sound like a good corporation.

But the food itself? Eh. For fast food, frankly, I prefer Wendy's or Burger King.

I know that many here will find this appalling. I'm sorry. I'm just wondering if there are others out there who don't understand the In-N-Out worship.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:54 AM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,601 times
Nope

And by the way McDonalds tastes like crap.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:54 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Yes, the fries are unremarkable. McDonalds fries are the best.

In-N-Out burgers are pretty good for the money, but they certainly aren't the best.

I still think Carl's (or Hardee's out here, same thing) are probably the best fast food burgers.

There's also the Southern California tradition thing.

IN-N-OUT Burger History

In-N-Out Burger Cult - NY Times

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...4024099.column

Besides, what other restaurant can you modify the bumper sticker to

In-N-Out
Urge

Last edited by Charles; 05-10-2009 at 11:29 AM..

Old 05-10-2009, 11:31 AM

448 posts, read 1,605,558 times
I guess it depends on how your order your burger. Personally, I order the double-double with extra lettuce. The extra lettuce adds just the right balance to all that meat. I like to keep the onions raw, but a lot of people like the onions grilled. Grilled onions give the burger an entirely different (but good) flavor. Try it out.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:55 AM

64 posts, read 184,064 times
Never been. I can tell however that the tv ads are a total turnoff.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:04 PM

213 posts, read 744,615 times
Ya it's good no doubt but it is glamorized more ten it should be. It ain't that grat. But Jack n The Box is amazing.

Oh ya but In n Out has a secret sauce called animal suace which is really good. you can order it with a burger or fries. But you won't find it on the menu.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:09 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,057,787 times
yes, a cult following has emerged that may not be intended/appreciated even by In N Out itself....

but it's a California institution and that explains the excitement your friends express....

I myself think their burgers are better than the big chains...there is a freshness that lacks in the others....the fries are fine to me......McD's fries are very good, too

when I go in, the staff and customers all seem to be having fun....not at all common at a McD's....the menu is as simple as can be and never changes....no special promos going on like a "double hickory bacon western melt" or whatever...the staff is always cleaning, it seems....not overpriced....it just feels just a well-run operation....

I really like the fact that they are family-owned and not a publicly traded corporation....at McD's, it just seems like you're there helping out the bottom line....

"incredibly overrated".....maybe, but they are very good at what they do and deserve the attention

Old 05-10-2009, 12:38 PM

53 posts, read 243,666 times
I happen to agree.

When people in Washington found I lived in Las Vegas, they somehow knew of the existence of In-N-Out there. They were envious until I told them I honestly wasn't blown away.

I too prefer Wendy's.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:40 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,210,109 times
We agree that the place is overrated. After going there for the first time a few months ago, we'd rather stick with other fast food burger places (wife likes Wendy's, I prefer Carl's).

Old 05-10-2009, 12:55 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumerian Feast View Post
I apologize in advance for the sacrilege.

When I told people I was moving here, many of them said "Oh! You HAVE to go to In-N-Out!" When I tell people that I now live here, In-N-Out is one of the first things they mention. And of course, whenever you drive by, there is a line snaking out of the parking lot into the street. There's an article in today's LA Times referring to In-N-Out as "perfection."

So I went, hoping for this amazing experience. And I got:

A cheeseburger that basically tastes like a McDonald's cheeseburger.

Fries that, while I appreciate they're made from real potatoes, were dry and unremarkable.

A Coke that was fine.

I know, sometimes a restaurant can have an off day. So I went back to the In-N-Out in my neighborhood several times. And I went to several different locations in other parts of town. I really wanted to give it a chance. But I had pretty much the same experience every time. I think I'm done trying.

I know, I know: In-N-Out is homegrown. They butcher and deliver their own meat, bake their own buns, slice their own fries. They apparently pay their employees a very good wage and have generous incentives for top managers. That's great. They sound like a good corporation.

But the food itself? Eh. For fast food, frankly, I prefer Wendy's or Burger King.

I know that many here will find this appalling. I'm sorry. I'm just wondering if there are others out there who don't understand the In-N-Out worship.
Of course food is subjective. Just because almost everyone loves In and Out for the money, there will always be a few who prefer some other fast food. As for being like a Micky Ds burger??? Not in any way. Is it better? To most yes, but regardless it is not like any other burger. The closest might be Burger King. In and Out uses a sause very different than MD, they have huge slices of fresh lettuce and tomatoes, plus real onions. The slices are not paper thin nor diced and chopped. The fires, sometimes, not cooked quite long enough are never dry or after eating them for almost 60 years I have never had a dry one.

It sounds like you went into your experiment not expecting to be satisfied so you were not. and, yes, there are others who do not worship the In and Out burger, but not many. As for being incredible over rated, that is a slight exageration, maybe over rated, but not incredible..Again, my opinion only.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles