Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 12:03 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times

Advertisements

Rodney King's video taped beating and "turning on" the Internet. Two seminal moments in 1991 that would have a profound paradigm shift on society as we know it. 21 years later those two events are affecting societal change world wide like no other. Would make a interesting Master's thesis, feel free to steal it.

I have no love loss for the man or the LAPD. Hopefully Rodney found peace from his demons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 03:43 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
Small time thug. He was arrested many times before and after the beating for many different offenses.

A fact that was not allowed in his big trial was how he had beat a elderly woman with a tire iron days before his arrest. He was already well known by the police. The police was tired of him and disgusted by his beating of a elderly woman.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:40 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
I can't manufacture any sympathy for someone who took cops on a high speed chase through residential streets while impaired, then fought them when they tried to cuff him. Especially after the Hollywood chase the other night that resulted in 3 uninvolved cars being hit by the felon and a young boy being hospitalized after the car he was in ended up on its roof.

Anyone here recognize the following names? Bryant Allen and Freddie Helms. The reasons you don't is because they were King's two passengers who complied and were taken into custody without incident.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:28 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
His floppy attempts to slap away cops weren't nearly as savage as the relentless attack by a bunch of armed cops bashing away at him while he's rolling on the ground. Sure, they might have pissed, but that made as much sense as the thugs smashing Reginald Denny with a brick. Pure uncontrolled adrenaline, which we would hope those who are sworn to protect us could control as professionals with the ability to kill anybody instantly. Can't just go "Oops!", like the BART cop.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:10 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Elect me dictator, and anyone who is responsible for dangerous high speed chases will be summarily beaten after the chase terminates.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:25 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
A sad end to a relatively short, quite tragic life. Rodney was not much younger than me.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:03 PM

47 posts, read 67,608 times
RIP RK... I heard a buddy who saw him surfing. He broke one stereotype black men can't swim, he can... he surfs.. longboard too... So, I'm curious to how he died.

RIP.. the end of a chapter in not only LA but I think the world.... We're entering a new phase of multiculturism and I think he was sort of the symbol of the "chaos" that happens in the beginning of any new relationship... whether between two people, or two entire races.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:23 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwalkLikeArabbit View Post
I think he was sort of the symbol of the "chaos".
Just as in other riots. The riot was going to happen regardless of the outcome of his trial. The LA county sheriff and LAPD were on alert as they anticipated it.
Look at riots after the Lakers win.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:36 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,950 times
The above implies [jealousyly?] that Los Angeles would be populated only by sociopathic barbarians, as if civil unrest never occurred anywhere else in history. Los Angeles did not invent anarchy, nor do it's citizens specialize in it.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:54 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
"Civil rights attorney Connie Rice saw King a few weeks ago at an event. 'I know that police love to talk about the fact that he was a criminal. But he was not a criminal. He was a broken and sick man, but did his best not to hurt people. He had a real streak of decency.

'He could have poured gasoline on the fire. At a time when he could have said something destructive … he said 'Can we all get along?' When you think about it, there aren't a whole lot of guys I know that would have done that.' "

Rodney King, 47, dies; beating victim was symbol of race relations - latimes.com

"Legacy of a Flawed Martyr" Rodney King's legacy - latimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles