Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2007, 05:32 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,609,068 times

Advertisements

I came across this thread on the DC forum from someone who absolutely hates life in the nation's capital.
//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...e-anymore.html

Thought I'd post it here because alot of the things the poster complains about, I've read here on the LA forum. I'm familiar both cities and while they have their problems, neither place is as bad a lot of people say they are IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 06:30 PM

723 posts, read 2,999,471 times
Except Los Angeles rocks your face off and DC is, well, DC. I haven't been to DC in like, 25 years, and back then, it was a dump with some cool monuments. Nowadays, I suspect it's the same.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective. I could rant about Pittsburgh, where I lived for 19 years, and to some, it would look like a rant about any city they didn't like. The thing that jumped out at me about that guys rant was the word loathe in bold. I wonder what he was doing during those ten years before one day he woke up and realized $350k wouldn't get him what he wanted. Sounds like a financial champion if you ask me... But then, so are many people in LA. No one wants to suffer in the short term to get the long term 'win.'

Last edited by JackSparrow; 09-26-2007 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: eye kant spall

Old 10-01-2007, 12:19 AM

810 posts, read 2,162,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
Except Los Angeles rocks your face off and DC is, well, DC. I haven't been to DC in like, 25 years, and back then, it was a dump with some cool monuments. Nowadays, I suspect it's the same.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective. I could rant about Pittsburgh, where I lived for 19 years, and to some, it would look like a rant about any city they didn't like. The thing that jumped out at me about that guys rant was the word loathe in bold. I wonder what he was doing during those ten years before one day he woke up and realized $350k wouldn't get him what he wanted. Sounds like a financial champion if you ask me... But then, so are many people in LA. No one wants to suffer in the short term to get the long term 'win.'

i was 2 25 yrs ago but from what I know it wasnt so great back then. i went to college in the dc area and graduated in '03. dc is onl one of 4 major cities in the US with a decent public trans system, the other 3 being boston, nyc of course and chicago. the street life is good. parts of the city are still bad but u can easily be satisfied with the uran life walking around the good parts. in recent yrs parts have really improved ie penn quarter, u street. it's only getting better. a baseball stadium is being built which is the impetus for a big mised use project. a waterfront area is being planned etc. perhaps in 20 yrs( NW the largest part of the city) will be as priceey as manhattan hehe maybe wink

dude 25 yrs cahm ahhhhhhn! u know (or maybe u don't) that many cities are going through revivals . look at manhattan 25 yrs ago. or 30

Old 10-01-2007, 12:24 AM

I believe dc has the 3rd or 4th largest business district in the country. pplus unlike la it's actually Urban (aka a city)

Old 10-01-2007, 01:03 PM

723 posts, read 2,999,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
dude 25 yrs cahm ahhhhhhn! u know (or maybe u don't) that many cities are going through revivals . look at manhattan 25 yrs ago. or 30
Uhm, that was my point, thank you for so emphatically missing this statement:

Quote:
I guess it's all a matter of perspective.
The OP's sentiment was regarding LA complaints, in comparison to DC complaints. When really, it boils down to perspective.

PS- I was 9 when I was in DC, and remember clearly people telling my parents what areas to avoid, and seeing some SHADY characters walking about.

Perspective.

word.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:15 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,609,068 times
Quote:
The OP's sentiment was regarding LA complaints, in comparison to DC complaints. When really, it boils down to perspective.
Exactly. My point was to show that the complaints people have about LA can be applied to many other American cities, such as DC.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Uhm, that was my point, thank you for so emphatically missing this statement:

PS- I was 9 when I was in DC, and remember clearly people telling my parents what areas to avoid, and seeing some SHADY characters walking about.

Perspective.

word.

ic perspective. i get it now. there are still plenty of shady areas. the city has improved. the good areas generally aren't mixed in with the bad so u can still have a good urban experience w/o being in a bad area. u did say u suspect dc is as bad as it was b4. which it isn't. anyway visit if u want. and please go outside of the monuments gtown, dupont circle, u street, adams morgan, upper nw, mci, penn qtr etc

Old 10-01-2007, 10:57 PM

320 posts, read 1,733,517 times
Dc= Lobbyist, special interest and politicians.

NO THANK YOU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles