Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 12:33 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times

Advertisements

Come to LA, where the freeway signs are huge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 02:35 PM

611 posts, read 1,601,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Come to LA, where the freeway signs are huge.
Welcome to LA

Old 06-28-2012, 04:13 PM

15 posts, read 35,099 times
I agree with all the posters. LA isnt what it use to be, and jobs are hard to find now and for any length of time.
The weather is better but it is hot unless you are on the coast and that is very expensive. California has changed
and not for the better of the middle class. We are struggling to make it. Im retired and Im struggling and its not a good
feelling. Its scary. The school system is in bad shape here.
I would stay where you are.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:43 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,627,258 times
I love Los Angeles, but why someone would want to leave Canada, and Vancouver for that matter, is beyond me. I am sorry but the move would be a horrible decision unless your spouse has a seriously nice job lined up here. LA is one of only cities I have been to in America where the divide between those who have and those who don't is very apparent. I mean blatantly (yes I know there are those who try to make it look like they have dough, but there are many more who do not).

In Canada, you have free healthcare, free education and a very decent social services safety net that a lot of Americans can only dream about or get yelled at by right wingers when we plead for that stuff every election year. They tell us to, "go to Canada".

Sorry for the side rant but is Canada hurting that bad that you would want to move to LA? Unless you want to try your hand out as a movie star, the weather is not worth it.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:51 AM

236 posts, read 789,422 times
I've never lived in Vancouver, but absolutely love that city! I have traveled there for work, and absolutely fell in love with it. I've lived in LA for 11 years (not from here originally), and it has its pros and cons, but overall I'm happy. If I were Canadian and living in Vancouver, I couldn't see leaving there for LA though...

Old 06-29-2012, 08:18 PM

If you're rich LA > Vancouver

If not stay in Canada. 'Nuff said.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:42 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,388,084 times
I dont know much about green cards. You said that your husband has been on the wait list for 16 years to get one. Would it take another 16 years to get another chance? It sounds like a good opportunity to live, work, and become dual citizens of two large countries. If you don't like the Greater L.A. area, you can always try the hundreds of other cities and towns in the warm areas of America later on.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:15 AM

78 posts, read 254,845 times
I moved here to Vancouver from LA (Santa Monica) 6 months ago.

Though it rains a lot more here (which can get kind of depressing, yes), it's worth it to me to live near such amazing hiking spots. The ones near LA totally suck in comparison.

I really miss buying things online with free shipping in LA, and $4.50 pints of Ben & Jerry's.

There is more crime in the LA area. You can't even go downtown in LA, it's a hellhole, though so is the DTES.

There's more to do and a better art scene in LA.

There are a lot more Asians here than in LA, and much more Black and Latino/a people in LA.

People seem easier to talk to in LA and more superficial, party-type. Here people seem more closed off, though more polite.

Palm trees in LA and desert. Cherry blossoms and rainforest here.

Transportation is much better here. A nightmare in LA, and so is the damn traffic; hate that sprawl.

Overall Vancouver is better than LA.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:18 AM

78 posts, read 254,845 times
@ Barcelona

As an international student I pay about 2,200 per class here in university.
Health care, minimum insurance (doesn't cover dental or prescriptions) is $64 a month. Not free!

Old 06-30-2012, 08:20 AM

Does anyone go bankrupt over medical bills in Canada? 64 bucks is cheap as my work wants to deduct over 200 bucks a month for my health insurance, and that barely covers everything medical related not to mention no dental.

Are you going to a private university? I'm sure Canada offers aid to those going to your nations public schools. I never hear stories about grads going bankrupt over education costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles