Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Were you here for the '94 quake?
No - Harrier was in the Seattle area at that time.

He remembers calling his family in the Los Angeles area, trying to find out if they were OK following the Northridge quake.

Harrier's father helped repair one of the damaged freeway overpasses following that earthquake.

Harrier was here for the 1987 Whittier Narrows earthquake, and was also here for the 1992 Landers quake, the 1999 Ludlow earthquake, the 2008 Chino Hills earthquake, and the 2011 Easter Sunday Mexicali earthquake.

Harrier was also practically on the epicenter of the 1995 Seattle area quake(as he was in the 1987 Whittier quake).

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/5...st-3046857.php

http://earthquaketrack.com/quakes/19...-22-utc-5-1-17

The 1995 Seattle area quake was significant, but didn't do much damage.

The 2001 Nisqually earthquake was bigger and more significant.

Harrier clearly remembers the 1987 Whittier quake, which did cause damage and killed some people.

Last edited by Harrier; 10-05-2013 at 12:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
I was here for the '94 quake, and I remember it was a struggle to raise myself out of bed because of the pressure from the earth moving.

Old

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
though I didn't experience it, some people I know thought the Northridge quake was "the big one" when they were awakened by it.....they later paid their $50K deductible

Old

1 posts, read 1,603 times
shake it up

Old

1 posts, read 1,577 times
Default General

I will share this thread with my friends because I really got great info regarding Los Angeles Earthquake from here.

Old

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times
I was playing a show the night the NR quake happened. I was awoken in my hotel room at about 4 am by my band mates and we ran down stairs while the stairway was swaying and the pool was cracking in half and splashing huge waves. I looked down and the block fence was rolling like a carpet. It was pretty freaky, scary and exciting at the same time. It felt like I was in an "End of the world starting with L.A. movie" lol

We all piled in the van and made it down to San Diego before the freeway bridges started coming down. Then we watched the news and started to be thankful to be sitting there in one piece.

The funniest thing was our drummer said "we only have one show to play in L.A., hopefully no quake hits while we are there" ha ha ha WRONG!

Old

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
The funniest thing was our drummer said "we only have one show to play in L.A., hopefully no quake hits while we are there" ha ha ha WRONG!
We would have fewer quakes if people would stop jinxing us by saying things like that.

Old

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
We would have fewer quakes if people would stop jinxing us by saying things like that.
LOL!

That is debatable, but perhaps you do have a point.

Old

373 posts, read 589,468 times
I am way more concerned about Oklahoma. Too many tremors the last few years. New Madrid all over again only 600 miles west? Too much like the forerunner to that event. I'd stay otta there.

Old

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
3s and 4s are hardly noticeable ,even the 6.2 , I was in Big Bear in "92",it did a lot of damage, and it felt like riding a water bed.
Be ready for some after shocks , some are weaker some are stronger most situations no after shocks at all.
Examine your environment make no assumptions .
TV sets that are not secured are a problem, more importantly water heaters should already be secured , it doesn't hurt to check.
Glass that can fall and break are a danger, if you walk bare food during an event .
Some glass will cut through shoes, never assume.
Don't go under beds or door ways but next to or beside dressers and very solid furniture .
LA has a web site for earth quake preparedness. you should check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles