Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 01:08 PM

70 posts, read 295,492 times

Advertisements

Alright, I may end up working in Burbank for a little while. The place is near the Yahoo! building (in the same complex, just a different company), to give you some idea of the work location. Anyway, if I move back to Burbank, then I wouldn't have a car to get around. Do you think this is smart? I wouldn't have a car, because I can't really afford one right now (esp. the insurance), and I still don't have my drivers licence.

Anyway, I'm trying to find a place to live that would be close to the Yahoo! building (walkable, if possible), or if not close, then accessible by train/bus/whatever.

But more than a place that's close, I'd like to find a place that's in a safe, nice area. I don't like waking up to the sight of old run down buildings that make me feel like a failure living in a slum. I'm willing to live on meager amenities to go home to a decent apartment in a nice part of town.

Summary:

I'm trying to find a nice apartment in a good, safe area that is located such that I can get to/from there to work by walking/train/bus/etc.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 01:33 PM

130 posts, read 466,083 times
I dont live there so maybe I should keep my mouth shut...but nevertheless from what I know of L.A. based on the times I've visited and what I hear, you REALLY need a car to get around. I just wouldn't chance it if I were you. By the way @ "Am I stupid?", no but you ARE hilarious for including that in the subject line of your post. Thanks for the laugh and good luck!

Old 10-02-2007, 01:47 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatfire View Post
Alright, I may end up working in Burbank for a little while. The place is near the Yahoo! building (in the same complex, just a different company), to give you some idea of the work location. Anyway, if I move back to Burbank, then I wouldn't have a car to get around. Do you think this is smart? I wouldn't have a car, because I can't really afford one right now (esp. the insurance), and I still don't have my drivers licence.

Anyway, I'm trying to find a place to live that would be close to the Yahoo! building (walkable, if possible), or if not close, then accessible by train/bus/whatever.

But more than a place that's close, I'd like to find a place that's in a safe, nice area. I don't like waking up to the sight of old run down buildings that make me feel like a failure living in a slum. I'm willing to live on meager amenities to go home to a decent apartment in a nice part of town.

Summary:

I'm trying to find a nice apartment in a good, safe area that is located such that I can get to/from there to work by walking/train/bus/etc.

Any advice?

I'd bet you could do it. Yes, there will be inconveniences for a while. Besides, if you don't have a car then you don't have a car. It wouldn't be forever anyway. What about a mountain bike with panniers to use on most nice weather days? There is so much density of goods, food, and services in that area that you wouldn't have to go too far. A car might be more of a hassle if 90% of your trips are less than one mile anyway.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:16 PM

12 posts, read 149,480 times
I think it's doable, if you're willing to put up with the inconveniences of walking in a city that's designed for cars.

The song lyrics "no one walks in LA" is very true. However, there are actually quite a few buses around, and the trains (the few of them that there are) can get you over to the hotspots for the most part. Check out MTA.net.

However, LA is in no ways a city like Chicago or NY where you can easily get by without owning a car. Everything here is spread out and even your 'local' bakery or watering hole takes time to get to.

The worst part is that since most people drive everywhere, there's usually not a lot of other people walking around. So it might get you a few stares and honks (especially if you're of the feminine persuasion) since you might be the only one around that's actually using the sidewalk.

This of course depends on where you are since some areas in themselves are very pedestrian friendly (downtown Burbank, Toluca Lake, Media District, Empire Center, downtown Glendale), but most people drive to these places, park, then hang out and walk around.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:33 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
You said "....moving back to Burbank". Have you lived there before? Are you male or female? This is useful info to determine what may be the best locations for you. Yahoo is at 3333 Empire street which is not too far from the airport. There isnt much in that general vicinity but industrial/warehouses. You would have to walk past Hollywood Way/Vanowen to the metro-link that will take you into the downtown burbank for food, movies, entertainment, etc. or you can continue on all the way to downtown LA.

If youre female, I would suggest trying to find a place close to the Metro station in Burbank near the 5fwy. Its a rather safe walk and it will take you pretty close to work.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:46 PM

70 posts, read 295,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
You said "....moving back to Burbank". Have you lived there before? Are you male or female? This is useful info to determine what may be the best locations for you. Yahoo is at 3333 Empire street which is not too far from the airport. There isnt much in that general vicinity but industrial/warehouses. You would have to walk past Hollywood Way/Vanowen to the metro-link that will take you into the downtown burbank for food, movies, entertainment, etc. or you can continue on all the way to downtown LA.

If youre female, I would suggest trying to find a place close to the Metro station in Burbank near the 5fwy. Its a rather safe walk and it will take you pretty close to work.
I lived there for a few weeks while I was interning..

I lived with some random person in a sublet, which is something I'm desperately trying to avoid (sharing a room).

I am a male.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:32 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
The 94,163 & 394 bus lines go by your work location. If you find a desirable area to live near one of these lines you will have a direct bus ride to work. Example,live in Glendale close to the 94 line and have a 35 minute bus ride to work.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:25 PM

22 posts, read 76,115 times
Taking the bus is okay here in Socal, but the commute time is killer. Been there. Better to drive or car pool. You'll have time to do other things than sit in the bus forever! Some bus routes mean you have to connect in really bad areas. We had a friend who refused to drive had bottles thrown at him at a bus stop. He was in Watts at the wrong time of nite.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:19 PM

101 posts, read 137,417 times
I went out with a girl who lived in Burbank and didn't have a car. So there is at least one other person who does it. I went out with a girl in Hollywood who didn't have a car too. People seem to be able to pull it off. I don't know how I end up dating them though. That's probably not real helpful but it should be encouraging at least. haha

Old 10-15-2007, 09:20 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
You could live around the Media Center Mall (Glenoaks) and probably commute easily enough. The area is nice around there with a lot of things you can walk to when you aren't working.

I wouldn't live near the Yahoo building. It's in the triangle (north of the train tracks, south of I-5) that I think is the most rundown area of Burbank. Buena Vista, either north of I-5 or south of VanOwen has lots of little apartments. Ditto with Hollywood Way.

The other thing you have to worry about is grocery shopping. I'd probably try to find something close to a shopping center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles