Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 11:49 AM

137 posts, read 603,090 times

Advertisements

Here is my situation and I appreciate any advice and feedback.

I am searching for a new home, I currently reside in Pasadena. I have a 1 YO child and we plan on having a couple more children. For our next home purchase we wanted to be in an area where we can send our children to public school, at least through elementary school, and then possibly move again in 10-12 years.

We are trying to stay around the sub-$1 million dollar range and we are looking for a 3+ bedroom, 2+ bath, 1750SQ FT+, small lots are ok.

We were planning on moving to the South Bay, but then my wife just got offered a job that shes been waiting for in Glendale. I currently work in Downtown, but in case things don't work out with my current employer, I want the option to commute to either Downtown or Century City.

Therefore, Arcadia, Sierra Madre, and South Pasadena are pretty much out due to distance. La Canada and San Marino, I'm priced out anyways.

I'm not too familiar with areas outside of those mentioned.

I've been doing some research and I see that Studio City (Carpenter School) is excellent and there are a couple homes sub $1 million that fit the bill. I know Ivanhoe in Silver Lake is excellent but not in my price range. I understand that with LAUSD, I need to do the research and find the pockets of areas that have decent schools; and even then, there is no guarantee that 4 years from now that the school will still be performing at the same level.

Any other thoughts or suggestions of where I should be looking? Thanks again.

Last edited by LArenter; 08-03-2012 at 12:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 12:19 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,218,434 times
studio city seems like a good start, also add burbank and sherman oaks to your list. sherman oaks is also LAUSD, but has some highly rated elementary schools. there should be plenty of homes available up to $1M in both areas. encino is getting futher away, but is quite similar to sherman oaks when it comes to home prices, schools and access to the westside.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:55 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,089,142 times
California School Performance Maps

Old 08-09-2012, 10:42 PM

14 posts, read 42,327 times
South Pas, La Crescenta and La Canada. We just moved here with two elementary aged children and ended up buying in La Crescenta. we much preferred the look and feel of S. Pas., but we got more for our money in LC., and the schools are actually ranked above SP. La Canada is another terrific choice; it was a bit out of our price range.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:40 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,640,804 times
745 EVERGREEN, Burbank, CA 91505 | MLS# B12092678

For Glendale, commute is negligible...15-20 minutes max. Maybe as little as 10 minutes depending where it is.

For Downtown, its about a 30 minute morning commute. If the 5 south is bad, just take Victory or Riverside through Griffith Park. For Century City, just take Lankershim to the 101 south, then exit at Highland and take that down to Olympic. Around a 45 minute rush hour commute.

Your welcome.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:15 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,543,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LArenter View Post
Here is my situation and I appreciate any advice and feedback.

I am searching for a new home, I currently reside in Pasadena. I have a 1 YO child and we plan on having a couple more children. For our next home purchase we wanted to be in an area where we can send our children to public school, at least through elementary school, and then possibly move again in 10-12 years.

We are trying to stay around the sub-$1 million dollar range and we are looking for a 3+ bedroom, 2+ bath, 1750SQ FT+, small lots are ok.

We were planning on moving to the South Bay, but then my wife just got offered a job that shes been waiting for in Glendale. I currently work in Downtown, but in case things don't work out with my current employer, I want the option to commute to either Downtown or Century City.

Therefore, Arcadia, Sierra Madre, and South Pasadena are pretty much out due to distance. La Canada and San Marino, I'm priced out anyways.

I'm not too familiar with areas outside of those mentioned.

I've been doing some research and I see that Studio City (Carpenter School) is excellent and there are a couple homes sub $1 million that fit the bill. I know Ivanhoe in Silver Lake is excellent but not in my price range. I understand that with LAUSD, I need to do the research and find the pockets of areas that have decent schools; and even then, there is no guarantee that 4 years from now that the school will still be performing at the same level.

Any other thoughts or suggestions of where I should be looking? Thanks again.
Have you checked out Glendale in the area of Verdugo Woodlands Elementary, RD White Elementary, and up in Montrose? Very good elementary schools, with the cost of housing not so exhorbitant (relatively).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles