Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 11:59 PM

9 posts, read 30,664 times

Advertisements

erh, is it just me or I am the only one finding it really hard to find a safe, decent studio apartment for around $1000?

-the ones that are around $800-900 are in such ghetto areas
-the ones that are around $1200 are going into the higher-priced range...
that's almost $300 difference and not many good ones fall into that range!

I come from Singapore where it's super safe, very built-up and urbanized, a very compact city, n u can walk around anywhere at night without feeling scared.. LA is hehh totally opposite.. n i miss being close to malls or built up areas that are open at night.. ( i live downtown right now)
i'm going to move out by myself (no more room mates!), but i want to feel safe. not having my apartment or car broken into safe.

i also have a few other questions:
1) which areas are safer around Koreatown?

2) i am also looking ard Culver City or Palms.. which streets should i look at?
which areas are near downtown Culver City that have a bunch of apartments that i can look at?

3) should i sign up with Westside rentals?

hehhs u guys have no idea, but i'm doing this apartment search by foot & by bus.. i'm still working on getting the car, it should be soon but i really need to find that apartment even sooner!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 01:08 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
try downtown long beach.

los angeles craigslist > long beach / 562 > apts/housing for rent: search for "downtown"

and westwood

UCLA WESTWOOD 1 BEDROOM 1 BATHROOM CONDO FOR RENT (broken link)

west hollywood is the most urban area of LA, but expensive and it has many gay people (41% are gay to be exact)

Old 10-05-2007, 01:32 AM

332 posts, read 2,149,324 times
you should be able to find plenty of studios for $900-1000. maybe you aren't looking in the right places. 1br apartments in expensive areas like West Hollywood are about $1300-1400, so you should have no problem finding a studio for $1000 in a less expensive area.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:13 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,014,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
try downtown long beach.

los angeles craigslist > long beach / 562 > apts/housing for rent: search for "downtown"

and westwood

UCLA WESTWOOD 1 BEDROOM 1 BATHROOM CONDO FOR RENT (broken link)

west hollywood is the most urban area of LA, but expensive and it has many gay people (41% are gay to be exact)
Jesse is right about downtown Long Beach. Just don't go north of 3rd or 4th.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:04 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
No way!! I think you may have copied that off of Wikipedia so you should take with a grain of salt. Anyone can edit whats on wikipedia. I have a hard time believing 41%.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:46 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,842,045 times
Yeah, 41% seems crazy!

Old 10-06-2007, 01:54 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,507,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nats View Post
erh, is it just me or I am the only one finding it really hard to find a safe, decent studio apartment for around $1000?

-the ones that are around $800-900 are in such ghetto areas
-the ones that are around $1200 are going into the higher-priced range...
that's almost $300 difference and not many good ones fall into that range!

I come from Singapore where it's super safe, very built-up and urbanized, a very compact city, n u can walk around anywhere at night without feeling scared.. LA is hehh totally opposite.. n i miss being close to malls or built up areas that are open at night.. ( i live downtown right now)
i'm going to move out by myself (no more room mates!), but i want to feel safe. not having my apartment or car broken into safe.

i also have a few other questions:
1) which areas are safer around Koreatown?

2) i am also looking ard Culver City or Palms.. which streets should i look at?
which areas are near downtown Culver City that have a bunch of apartments that i can look at?

3) should i sign up with Westside rentals?

hehhs u guys have no idea, but i'm doing this apartment search by foot & by bus.. i'm still working on getting the car, it should be soon but i really need to find that apartment even sooner!!

Check Craigs List too. Where are your working? west la?

I was down in Long beach a few weeks ago exiting 6th street. I cannot recommend that area to anyone. It may be nicer a few blocks closer to the water, but a few blocks away is an absolute zoo.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:15 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
I was down in Long beach a few weeks ago exiting 6th street. I cannot recommend that area to anyone. It may be nicer a few blocks closer to the water, but a few blocks away is an absolute zoo.
I have a friend who is about a half-mile south of Cherry St which is totally sketchy, but her neighborhood is awesome, well-kept, nice shops and restaurants. It's a big city, things can change within a matter of blocks. The further south you go the nicer and pricier it gets.

My neighborhood is very similar, it's not for everyone but it is often good bang for the buck and you really don't tradeoff any safety.

Old 10-06-2007, 04:16 PM

116 posts, read 614,119 times
Regarding Korea Town, you really need to be north of Wilshire and West of Western. The closer you can get to Hancock Park the better. As for a single in that price range, you should be able to find something in Silverlake or Los Feliz. Also, if you are considering suburbs, check out Pasadena. There are a lot of rental within walking distance of Old Town, look along Marengo and the general vicinity.

Old 10-06-2007, 04:47 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucero32 View Post
Regarding Korea Town, you really need to be north of Wilshire and West of Western. The closer you can get to Hancock Park the better. As for a single in that price range, you should be able to find something in Silverlake or Los Feliz. Also, if you are considering suburbs, check out Pasadena. There are a lot of rental within walking distance of Old Town, look along Marengo and the general vicinity.
Los Feliz would be impossible on that budget, and even Silver Lake's stretching it. Echo Park, Atwater Village, Glendale, or Eagle Rock are more realistic on that budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles