Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 11:51 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times

Advertisements

I'll post this for all who are seeking to move into our great city. A good rule of thumb to use when trying to find a nice safe place to live in LA is to try to find a place that is within walking distance from any Whole Foods or Trader Joes market.

There is a 95% chance that you will be in a good area if you follow my Whole Foods/Trader Joes rule. Add an additional 3% (to 98%) if there is also a Starbucks close by as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 12:14 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I'll post this for all who are seeking to move into our great city. A good rule of thumb to use when trying to find a nice safe place to live in LA is to try to find a place that is within walking distance from any Whole Foods or Trader Joes market.

There is a 95% chance that you will be in a good area if you follow my Whole Foods/Trader Joes rule. Add an additional 3% (to 98%) if there is also a Starbucks close by as well.

Makes sense. Good process for finding hotels when traveling out of town too.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:33 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Yep, I've noticed the same thing. They don't put high priced stores like Whole Foods in the ghetto. You could also use a high concentration of check cashing stores, pawn shops, and Spanish signs as a sign of a place you might want to avoid.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:57 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Conversely, if you live near an Applebee's....

Old 10-05-2007, 03:49 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Conversely, if you live near an Applebee's....
Hilarious!! I've never been to an Applebees but I looked it up and sure enough, they are all located in areas I would never want to live in: Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley, Santa Clarita, Camarillo, Chatsworth, Temple City, Ventura, Alhambra, Bell Gardens.

Whole Foods locations: 2 in Sherman Oaks, 3 in Santa Monica, 2 in Pasadena, Woodland Hills, Beverly Hills, Brentwood, West LA, Fairfax, West Hollywood, Glendale, La Jolla, Porter Ranch.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:14 PM

332 posts, read 2,149,974 times
you can also go by the number of 7-11s. I was driving through Pacoima the other day with a friend and saw four 7-11s in a few minutes of driving. We laughed because a few months back we were looking for a 7-11 late at night in Sherman Oaks for slurpees and couldn't find a single one!

Old 10-05-2007, 10:34 PM

320 posts, read 1,733,391 times
So San Dimas has a Starbucks, Trader Joes and Applebees all within 1/2 a block on the same street, now what ?

Old 10-05-2007, 10:51 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfSoCal View Post
So San Dimas has a Starbucks, Trader Joes and Applebees all within 1/2 a block on the same street, now what ?
San Dimas is a good area as far as I know. I don't buy the Applebees thing. There's one just up the street from me and I live in a very good area. We also have a TJ's, a Henry's, and a billion Starbucks very close by.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:54 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Hilarious!! I've never been to an Applebees but I looked it up and sure enough, they are all located in areas I would never want to live in: Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley, Santa Clarita, Camarillo, Chatsworth, Temple City, Ventura, Alhambra, Bell Gardens.

Whole Foods locations: 2 in Sherman Oaks, 3 in Santa Monica, 2 in Pasadena, Woodland Hills, Beverly Hills, Brentwood, West LA, Fairfax, West Hollywood, Glendale, La Jolla, Porter Ranch.
dont forget the new one that just opened up in El Segundo on Sepulveda and Rosecrans.

El Segundo must be very mixed according to that though b/c there are a few 7-11's, McDonalds, Carls Jr., Jamba Juice, Ralphs, two El Tarascos, Quiznoes, Subway, Cooke's, Starbucks, Taco Time (every person at my school that has eaten there gets some type of food poisoning cus it's so bad), etc. I know that it is a very pricey, upscale, rich neighborhood, but by looking at what they have, it seems mixed. i know im missing some of the bad restaurants tho.

i understand that is a rule of thumb tho, so it works fine.

another would also be to avoid places right in the middle of a flat area. usually areas around the outside of the city are better. for example, the beaches and the santa monica mountains outline the basin and contain very upscale neighborhoods. woodland hills, studio city, calabasas, and sherman oaks are on the outside of the SFV. Pasadena is on the edge of the SGV.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:13 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rats View Post
you can also go by the number of 7-11s. I was driving through Pacoima the other day with a friend and saw four 7-11s in a few minutes of driving. We laughed because a few months back we were looking for a 7-11 late at night in Sherman Oaks for slurpees and couldn't find a single one!
In Taiwan the number of 7-11s is NOT the indication of "ghetto" areas. 7-11s are more or less common all over Taiwan, and it is common to find two 7-11s across the street from one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles