Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2012, 12:02 PM

2 posts, read 1,574 times

Advertisements

I'm a 21 year old gay college student in Northeast Kansas and I'm just completely over it. I've been thinking about transferring schools for a while now and I was just wanting to get some information about West Hollywood. I know California in general is expensive, but it's really not an issue with me. I've heard the gay community is superficial there (Which isn't much different than where I currently live), how welcoming are people there to transplants? Are there a lot of college aged people there? Being from a suburban community, how hard would it be to adjust to a more urban lifestyle? Is it really hard to get a job? Any advice would be great. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 01:08 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
West Hollywood itself is very expensive compared to rest of CA. Many younger gays live in Hollywood, Koreatown, or the valley where rent is affordable and come to west hollywood to party. How welcoming is it? Well if you're young and good looking you'll find it welcoming, if not you wont (as much). Superficial as anywhere else really

Old 09-04-2012, 02:16 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
When money isn't an issue I always advise visiting a place, take a vacation in Weho and see how you like it. Jobs are hard to find without a degree and if you continue college you will pay OOS tuition.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:05 PM

2 posts, read 1,574 times
I guess by welcoming I mostly concerned with making friends and meeting new people. I don't know anybody in LA, but the reason I'm wanting to move out there is to step out of my comfort zone.

Most guys in NE Kansas are very pretentious and not very accepting unless you're in a frat. I'm a pretty social person, so I guess I'm just curious as to how I would go about meeting new people here since I don't know anybody at all.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:00 PM

725 posts, read 3,014,996 times
College aged kids don't generally live in WeHo (too expensive and rather "far" from campus). They usually stick closer to Westwood (UCLA) or downtown (USC). But there is a good college crowd there (certain bars have "college nights"), from personal experience. WeHo can get very superficial, and certain bars (Here Lounge, the Abbey) are a testament to that.

If you're transferring schools, you'll have an easier time making new friends that way vs. being out of school/ a new job. Of course there are always "social" apps you can use to meet new people...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: