Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 03:11 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
No, this is not a serious conversation. Our friend rob here is trying to fish out where he can go in So Cal to get away from the dark people. The answer is: Nowhere. Good luck with your search, pal!
Your comment is very myopic. First, I am certainly NOT trying to move there. The last time I thought of that was in 2004. The "conversation" is serious. If you had a very ample stock of a Nordic/Aryan look (which I don't have) and 20 to 30 years later, they are gone, one wonders where they went.

Anybody who criticizes this thread with reference to "darkness" is ignorant, and playing the race card. I've known people in LA who were elderly and stayed in their neighborhoods, which were "Leave it to Beaver" at one point and, later on, they lived in their same paid-for houses as if living on an island. They were no longer a part of the neighborhood's fabric. Would I like living in Glendale CA on a predominantly Armenian street? (Armenians are white, BTW.) Hell no. They are ethnocentric and non-Armenians would probably feel somewhat excluded. There's a real practical dimension here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 03:42 PM

541 posts, read 861,363 times
Considering "The Brady Bunch" is a T.V. show and most television shows exaggerate or create a utopia that doesn't exist in real life, it's hard to believe that was a true reflection of LA in the 1970's. There were plenty of ethnicities living in LA in the 1970's but the show didn't want to reflect that reality.

Just like the movies that show LA is comprised of tan blonde women everywhere, the same goes for the all white life of "The Brady Bunch". A writer's/director's/producer's creation at best.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:20 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Your comment is very myopic. First, I am certainly NOT trying to move there. The last time I thought of that was in 2004. The "conversation" is serious. If you had a very ample stock of a Nordic/Aryan look (which I don't have) and 20 to 30 years later, they are gone, one wonders where they went.

Anybody who criticizes this thread with reference to "darkness" is ignorant, and playing the race card. I've known people in LA who were elderly and stayed in their neighborhoods, which were "Leave it to Beaver" at one point and, later on, they lived in their same paid-for houses as if living on an island. They were no longer a part of the neighborhood's fabric. Would I like living in Glendale CA on a predominantly Armenian street? (Armenians are white, BTW.) Hell no. They are ethnocentric and non-Armenians would probably feel somewhat excluded. There's a real practical dimension here.
There's less black people in parts of LA too. Like south central, compton. Where did they go? oh wait no one cares about black people, just sexy tan blond chicks at the beach

Old 09-25-2012, 05:28 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,491,104 times
this could only happen in the LA forum. You think white people in Miami are insecure about the lack of white people there? I think not

Old 09-25-2012, 05:32 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
There's less black people in parts of LA too. Like south central, compton. Where did they go? oh wait no one cares about black people, just sexy tan blond chicks at the beach
Correct. South Central has a large Hispanic component which, in earlier years, people would have not predicted.

No, it's the demographics from my high school class, for example. That's why I started the thread. Very few people are in LA proper anymore. Maybe the SFV (still city of LA, though). But that's about it. Some people need to give the PC part of this a rest.

Personally, our street as a kid was very mixed. It was a mosaic. As it should be. It wasn't polarized.

Mosaic is good. Polarized is not. Sorry.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 09-25-2012 at 06:00 PM..

Old 09-25-2012, 07:20 PM

596 posts, read 982,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Correct. South Central has a large Hispanic component which, in earlier years, people would have not predicted.

No, it's the demographics from my high school class, for example. That's why I started the thread. Very few people are in LA proper anymore. Maybe the SFV (still city of LA, though). But that's about it. Some people need to give the PC part of this a rest.

Personally, our street as a kid was very mixed. It was a mosaic. As it should be. It wasn't polarized.

Mosaic is good. Polarized is not. Sorry.

I would assume that most of the folks that I grew up with are still in the LA area. At least that was the impression that I got when I used to be on facebook. That is probably the case just about everywhere, as most people stick with what is familiar. Anyway, I think that you have to examine other things like birth rates and immigration patterns. I'm not sure if the nordic types are fleeing LA en mass, but they seem to be a smaller percentage of the population than they were about 40 years ago. This is in no small part due to the fact that both the population and the diversity of the area has increased.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:22 AM

184 posts, read 353,634 times
It would be interesting to get some data on this, but I'm not sure where you would find it.

It's funny though when I see a blonde in L.A without even looking at their license plate I can tell they are from out of state

Old 09-26-2012, 04:33 AM

75 posts, read 107,412 times
Few forth or fifth generation Northern European ancestry folks left in LA according to the US Census. This type of person is still a clear majority in most of America.

According to the 2010 US Census, only 27.6 percent of LA COUNTY is white and that figure includes many people who call themselves white but are from Latin America, the Middle East and Northern Africa. If you would include only the people who link their background to Europe (the more typical white person in the rest of America) the figure would be closer to 15% in LA.

Los Angeles County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

56% speak a language other than English at home.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:59 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
You think white people in Miami are insecure about the lack of white people there? I think not
This is merely anecdotal, but I knew a guy that moved from Miami to Denver for strictly that reason. Didn't want his kids going to school hearing 50 different languages and such.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:18 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,876 times
Remember. When Asians/Blacks/Latinos coalesce around each other in a given area, it's only human nature to want to "be with their own'.

When white people leave to other places to also "be with their own", it's racist White Flight and indicative of their denial on how times are changing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles