Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 12:26 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
I found LA to actually be one of the most multicultural mixed places I've stayed.

Maybe it's just my friend crowd but they are asian-american, (korean, vietnamese, chinese), black, persian, russian, hispanic, generic "white", and foreigners like British, Australian, Canadian, etc. When I was in Portland it was basically 100% white, Minnesota about the same but a couple of my friends are african american. Chicago was very white/black. NYC I actually mostly just knew white and asian people.
I grew up here so all my friend growing up were of different races so that's just my experience since I grew up in central LA . My best friends today are black, white, asian, Hispanic and we all still hang out to this day. That's all I've really ever known.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 02:12 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I agree. Sometimes it gets frustrating dealing with all the different cultures. What I mean is sometimes you get turned off by the perceived rudeness of the foreigners. I know they're not trying to be rude because in their country being cheery or cordial isn't exactly a staple, so it just comes off as rude. Some immigrants can't drive, other areas are packed to he ceiling with people, I mean I can see why there was white flight. I tend to not read into it too much, get offended too easily, and am just not a racist. But I can see how a racist person would just not stand a minute in LA. They just don't know how to deal or have the patience to deal with people and cultures different from theirs. Its actually a challenge and I don't believe a person for second who pretends to be more liberal than thou that they don't get frustrated at some point. Multiculturalism in a big city really means shedding all your hometown values you grew up with.
That is people with their own issues getting offended by a 'perceived' rudeness.

I love exploring ethnic enclaves and have rarely had problems. If you are an open, kind person, you will be treated with respect.

Also, in any culture there are problem individuals. Thats just human nature. I never attribute that to a whole culture. Life is too short to be worrying about silly little things like that.

Right now I love Iraqui markets and restaurants. I also really like hanging out in Little Saigon in Orange County and Korean Cafes. I've never had a problem anywhere.

Last edited by rosa surf; 11-07-2014 at 02:23 PM..

Old 11-10-2014, 10:16 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
Ok, I think its great that all your experiences have been harmonious but not everyone in those ethnic enclaves is a saint. That seems like pandering and insulting to say that about them. You will find issues in any area. If you find yourself on the road with a middle aged immigrant women who just got her license and is going 30 in a 40, or doesn't see you in her blind spot and just cuts you off without realizing it, it can be frustrating. That's just one example. Now I know anyone, native or foriegn, can do the same, but when its a daily thing and you notice the majority tend to be what I described, you deal with it and chalk it up to the lack of experience. The racist thing to do would be to attribute it to the whole race as a genetic flaw.

It's not just a personal issue with the individual. Most people don't take the extra time and patience to figure out the underlying issues behind living in a multicultural city. These people tend to be older, grew up in an LA that was largely white and much more community oriented, people were "nicer" in the way the they define nice which includes cordial gestures, hellos, goodbyes, and butt kissing friendly service. In other words they loved feeling like kings and queens in their own hoods. So they can't stand when people neglect them for a minute or don't take notice of their presence. It's silly but I try and understand them before I just label them as having personal issues or racist, it whatnot. So no it's not just "their issues".

So please don't act like living in a multicultural city is a walk in the park with absolutely no issues or frustrations. It's not about problem individuals it's about understanding the different cultures and not getting bothered by their differences in attitude and way of doing business.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:56 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Two things that strongly attract me to Los Angeles:

1) WEATHER

2) Extremely multicultural. Every Asian culture is very well-represented - Korean, Vietnamese, Filipino, Chinse, etc. Plus other exotic nationalities from Armenian, Persian, Ethiopian, and on and on. Plus your Latino, Black, White, Jewish, etc. It's all there, and in very large numbers. Personally, I love that.

Would it be enough to enjoy living in Los Angeles?
Coming from Michigan?

Hell yes!

But in all seriousness, these two factors are huge pluses, I am attracted to LA due to the multitude of activities one can participate in, the proximity to the beaches, to hiking in Toganga Canyon/SM Mountains, and the laid back attitude of LA.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:32 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
[quote=wushuliu;37136274]
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post

Lol, Armenians, Russians are not 'white'.
Unless they're North Asian Siberians or immigrants from the Caucasus or Central Asia, Russian are White.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:54 PM

I know right. How are Russians not white?

Old 11-11-2014, 12:54 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,309,203 times
Armenians are quite literally "Caucasian." I would not suggest ever suggesting to a Russian that he (or she) is not white.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:09 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
^^^All Whites are not Caucasian, but not all Caucasians are White. Peoples from the Caucasus, Middle East, parts of Central and South Asia, and East Africa are "Caucasoid" in bone structure, but they're certainly not White.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:23 PM

416 posts, read 559,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
Armenians are quite literally "Caucasian." I would not suggest ever suggesting to a Russian that he (or she) is not white.
I'm well aware of Armenian history and proximity to the Caucasus. Once the discussion goes international what does 'white' mean is my point.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
^^^All Whites are not Caucasian, but not all Caucasians are White. Peoples from the Caucasus, Middle East, parts of Central and South Asia, and East Africa are "Caucasoid" in bone structure, but they're certainly not White.
There are white middle easterners and central Asians. I've met several people from Lebanon and Syria who are white as any American.

Honestly I think that Americans have the strangest and strictest definition of white in the world. For one, we are the only country that counts Latinos as a separate race. There is no Latino/Hispanic race classification in any Latin American country. Same in the Middle East.

I've heard young Bosnians and young Russians growing up in the States say that they're not white. LOL. Where did they get that absurd idea? Because they grew up in an environment where only American Anglos of Northern European stock are considered white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles