Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 09:20 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,987,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Note to self: Don't order pizza in Boston area should you ever go there.
Or my house, I put Monterey Jack on it too.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:16 AM

24,517 posts, read 33,367,484 times
The pizza I like (in my area) is...

Ameci
(This is a small/personal pizza)

Round Table

zPizza

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 09:48 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,438,291 times
I honestly don't notice much of a difference between pizza NY and LA--at the very least, its safe to say that the gripes from the NYC transplants are way exaggerated. either theirs is overrated or L.A.'s is underrated.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:33 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,155,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
I honestly don't notice much of a difference between pizza NY and LA--at the very least, its safe to say that the gripes from the NYC transplants are way exaggerated. either theirs is overrated or L.A.'s is underrated.
Same here. The only thing I notice is NY's dough tastes different and their crust is very thin compared to CA's.

But the same kind of pizza is also found in NJ and CT.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:53 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,226,264 times
someone mentioned it already, but i think it's worth mentioning again: pitfire pizza is REALLY good! they have a few locations spread across the city and all are delicious. prices are pretty reasonable too considering the quality of their pizzas. the crust is perfection.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:59 AM

341 posts, read 709,806 times
Scope out Casa Bianca in Eagle Rock. Voted #1 pizza in LA in previous years.

In the movie Funny People Seth Rogen's character said it himself, LA has pretty good pizza.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:39 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,889,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
I'm pretty much never going to Boston again based on that.
yeah that's BS. Never seen cheddar on a pizza in Boston and I ate a lot of pizza out there. The pizza out there is pretty incredible (though it's the more traditional Italian food where they really outshine the WC), best I ever had was in Connecticut.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:59 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,239,522 times
I always heard that New Haven was the best in the country, for what its worth. I have to say that my last trip to the North End included a pretty awful Italian dinner, which really surprised me. I went for the Chicken Tetrazzini (?), which was without taste. And I've had better calamari at Gerlachs in Pasadena. My parents are from Boston, and 40 odd years ago they returned and took me to a place called 'The European', on Hanover Street. Sadly, that place is long gone. If anyone can recommend a good Italian place there, I'm game next trip.

I'm a big fan of Folliero's in Highland Park. But, as it is with every decent pizza place here, you gotta tell them to BURN IT, make it well-done, crispy, whatever they will understand. There is a real tendency to undercook the pies here. I absolutely hate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
yeah that's BS. Never seen cheddar on a pizza in Boston and I ate a lot of pizza out there. The pizza out there is pretty incredible (though it's the more traditional Italian food where they really outshine the WC), best I ever had was in Connecticut.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:12 PM

484 posts, read 873,442 times
LA has damn good pizza.

Here are some of my favorites...

-Village Pizzeria in Larchmont and Hollywood
-Mulberry Street Pizzeria in Beverly Hills and Encino
-The Coop Pizza in Palms
-Joe's Pizza in Santa Monica and Hollywood
-Vito's Pizza in WeHo
-Mozza in Hollywood
-Tomato Pie in Silver Lake
-Spago in Beverly Hills
-Caioti Pizza Cafe in Studio City

Old 10-12-2012, 01:24 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,889,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
I always heard that New Haven was the best in the country, for what its worth. I have to say that my last trip to the North End included a pretty awful Italian dinner, which really surprised me. I went for the Chicken Tetrazzini (?), which was without taste. And I've had better calamari at Gerlachs in Pasadena. My parents are from Boston, and 40 odd years ago they returned and took me to a place called 'The European', on Hanover Street. Sadly, that place is long gone. If anyone can recommend a good Italian place there, I'm game next trip.

I'm a big fan of Folliero's in Highland Park. But, as it is with every decent pizza place here, you gotta tell them to BURN IT, make it well-done, crispy, whatever they will understand. There is a real tendency to undercook the pies here. I absolutely hate that.
The North End is really hit or miss these days, at least that is what I heard when I was out there... It's become a bit too tourist-y for its own good. My wife and I knew of a little pizza place like a block north of Hanover that had some pretty great pizza - plus it was obviously family owned and operated. I'll see if I can find it but might be pretty hard, it was kind of a hole-in-the-wall. I really enjoyed The Daily Catch when I went there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles