Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 07:32 PM

723 posts, read 2,999,471 times

Advertisements

Westwood.

1. UCLA campus and more shops than you can shake a stick at warrant the highest pedestrian area outside of the beach front and Hollywood (but not as crappy and with WAY fewer tourists)

2. Too many to list:
food loc: 90024 - Google Maps

3. Has a whole foods, bristol farms, and a Sunday farmers market

4. LA Fitness, Equinox, and a kickboxing studio (that I know of) fitness loc: 90024 - Google Maps

5. The National, Bruin, Fox, Regent and Avco and one other one that escapes my memory right now.

6. Not so sure about "artistic vibe" But it's def. a younger community, with no shortages of NON-ucla students

7. Easy access to 405 + 10 90024 - Google Maps

8. Check, check, check

I can afford up to $2000 a month for 2-bedroom apartment or townhouse, but prefer a little cheaper.

You might find something cheaper, but it's kind of expensive. Then again, you ARE getting the best of all worlds IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 08:01 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
here are some apts for rent in westwood. stay within zip code 90024 and as close to the intersection of Westwood Blvd. and Wilshire Blvd. as your budget can handle. Being able to go north of that is a plus, a huge plus! Thats probably one of the most desirable areas in all of LA! For example, somewhere near Le Conte and Gayley or north or northwest of that intersection.

Rent.com: Search Results

Old 10-08-2007, 08:07 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
now if you want pasadena, stay near old town and So. Pasadena.

try zip code 91101, 91030, and 91103.

here are some properties. i know these are broad searches, but you can enter specifics of what you want for your place. pasadena can get over 100* in the summer, so A/C is a must in Pasadena, no questions asked, no matter how much more you must pay for it.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:34 PM

128 posts, read 782,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
Westwood.

1. UCLA campus and more shops than you can shake a stick at warrant the highest pedestrian area outside of the beach front and Hollywood (but not as crappy and with WAY fewer tourists)

2. Too many to list:
food loc: 90024 - Google Maps

3. Has a whole foods, bristol farms, and a Sunday farmers market

4. LA Fitness, Equinox, and a kickboxing studio (that I know of) fitness loc: 90024 - Google Maps

5. The National, Bruin, Fox, Regent and Avco and one other one that escapes my memory right now.

6. Not so sure about "artistic vibe" But it's def. a younger community, with no shortages of NON-ucla students

7. Easy access to 405 + 10 90024 - Google Maps

8. Check, check, check

I can afford up to $2000 a month for 2-bedroom apartment or townhouse, but prefer a little cheaper.

You might find something cheaper, but it's kind of expensive. Then again, you ARE getting the best of all worlds IMO.
Westwood is definitely one of the best. I love this neighborhood. I scratch my head when old timers say it use to be EVEN BETTER! As popular as 3rd Street. Yet, come to think of it just looking at the empty storefronts on the main drag, it can improve some more.

A close third for me is Sherman Oaks/Studio City. I can't get enough of Ventura Blvd. Of the many microclimates of L.A., it's got the best, almost San Diego-like for its lack of temperature extremes and clouds. The Valley summer heat seem to stop north of Sherman Way. Not many cultural activities though.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:51 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertho View Post
Westwood is definitely one of the best. I love this neighborhood. I scratch my head when old timers say it use to be EVEN BETTER! As popular as 3rd Street.
It was better. Westwood Village was the number one destination for night life in LA during the 80s. Third Street was for grandmas and retirees (literally), Old Town Pasadena was a ghost town, and Hollywood was a seedy dump. Westwood was so packed on weekend nights that they banned vehicular traffic into the village because there were too many people on foot walking in the streets. The side walks were not wide enough to handle the crowds. The entire village was a virtual Third Street Promenade. And there were no vacant store fronts. Every commercial retailer, restaurant, and club was dying to be located there back then. Those were the days. What a fun and special time that was.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:44 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,740,176 times
indieguy, I really think you should check out Larchmont Village and Hancock Park. I think you'll find exactly what you're looking for. We're also looking for 'the perfect' place in LA with very similar qualities...went there last month and couldn't get enough. Look on Craigslist for rentals as many are by owner and are in the cottages behind the village.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:02 PM

5 posts, read 40,327 times
Thanks for all the suggestions! I have plenty to check out.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:12 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettea1 View Post
indieguy, I really think you should check out Larchmont Village ...
$2900 for a 1+1 and $3575 for a 2+2 in Larchmont Villiage is ridiculous. My mortgage payments on a condo in Sherman Oaks and my house in Woodland Hills are both cheaper than this. Why would anyone blow this kind of money each month on rent is beyond me. Why not just save up and BUY your own place instead of paying someone elses mortgage? This is crazy.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:41 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,740,176 times
Why? Because it's where they want to be, that's why. Why eat at a five star restaurant when you can go to McDonalds? Why fly first class and pay triple the price when you can get there just the same in coach? Location is everything and some people are willing to pay a premium to be in town. Of course it's ridiculous, but it doesn't matter.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:08 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
My ex wife lives there and it is nice but she owns her place and still pays less for the mortgage on her home than people are paying for rent there. I guess I should be thankful for people who MUST be in a certain area. I profit a little more than $1000 a month from my tenants in my Sherman Oaks place.

There is a very good pizza place on Larchmont and one of the best non-traditional (modified for American tastes) thai restaraunts in the city there - Chan Dara. There are a lot of young parents there pushing strollers around as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles