Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 10:19 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times

Advertisements

The photo request is very odd. Sounds like someone looking for a girlfriend and not a roommate. I'd be very careful if I were her. Probably best to look for female roommates. When they meet to discuss the roommate situation make sure it is a very public place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 10:25 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
The photo request is very odd. Sounds like someone looking for a girlfriend and not a roommate. I'd be very careful if I were her. Probably best to look for female roommates. When they meet to discuss the roommate situation make sure it is a very public place.
Yeah, we thought it was weird. The guy said he was married and just wanted to "put a face to the name." My sister said no. That she didn't feel comfortable emailing someone she didn't know her picture.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:28 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
Yeah, we thought it was weird. The guy said he was married and just wanted to "put a face to the name." My sister said no. That she didn't feel comfortable emailing someone she didn't know her picture.
See, how did I know it was a guy?

I'm a guy and got some weird emails when looking on roommates and Craigslist. Lots of room and board in exchange for favors requests.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:06 AM

Yeah. He ended up getting weirder. Started talking about church & stuff. Ah well.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:35 PM

207 posts, read 508,653 times
Glad your sister found a job so quickly and hope everything works out.

I'm making plans to live part time in LA myself. Luckily, I'm in the "internets" biz so don't need to work for anybody except myself. Most days I wake up late and roll out of bed and I'm at the "office" (my computer desk). Shortest commute in the history of mankind.

I'll be sleeping in my car in LA.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:57 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Question: Is it totally weird for someone to ask my sister for a photo after she responded to an ad about a roommate situation? We both thought yes, but it IS LA.

Ceece, your daughter put in a Craigslist ad looking for a shared apartment situation? My sister has just been answering ads (she's modified her email to include personal information.)
No, she answered the ad of someone looking for a roommate on CL. She had checked the "cat" option becasue she wanted to keep him with her and only look at places that would allow him. She just took a shot and hoped that the girl placing the ad was a cat owner/lover and that the picture of kitty would make her stand out as a good match. The girls were the same age and each had a cat so they had an instant bond. It wasn't a perfect match however and only lasted 6 months but it did the trick.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
No, she answered the ad of someone looking for a roommate on CL. She had checked the "cat" option becasue she wanted to keep him with her and only look at places that would allow him. She just took a shot and hoped that the girl placing the ad was a cat owner/lover and that the picture of kitty would make her stand out as a good match. The girls were the same age and each had a cat so they had an instant bond. It wasn't a perfect match however and only lasted 6 months but it did the trick.
Good to know! Adult cats generally don't get along with each other at ALL, so I'm surprised it worked for 6 months, heh. It took me about 3+ months to introduce a new cat to my current one.

My sister was offered two apartments she's interested in. She'll mulling it over, now. Trying to figure out which one and will probably decide tonight. She's freaking out a bit, but like your daughter... she can always move out in a couple of months if it doesn't work out.

So, for those of you keeping score: she found an apartment & a job in 6 days. Not bad!

Old 11-12-2012, 12:12 AM

13 posts, read 28,316 times
Quote:
So, for those of you keeping score: she found an apartment & a job in 6 days. Not bad!

Wow, that's excellent! I really wish I had family out there that I could visit so that I can land a job/apt that efficiently, but my reality is just not the same, lol :/

I'm determined to get out there, though... so even if I have to spend 3 weeks in a motel, and find a sitter for 7 hrs/day for those three weeks to job search ( I have a 4mo. old baby boy), then that's what's going to have to happen

Good luck to you & your sister

Old 11-12-2012, 02:43 AM

3 posts, read 4,864 times
Of course it works! And sometime it doesn't.. I guess it's fate and how hard you want it and work for it..

Old 11-12-2012, 07:42 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,999,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Just go into every restaurant with her looking her best and tell her to turn on the charm. Odds are she will find one manager willing to give her a shot if she is cute with a good personality.
Even though this is old - I didn't see any responses that had actually used the LA Craigslist to find housing. I did exactly that a few years back - to find a house share setup, for when I was working down there, and living farther north - drove home on the weekends. The Craigslist ads worked out well for me overall. You have to go and see what the place is, and meet the people. And you have to be prepared to do it again if the personalities do not work out. My 1st situation ended wierdly, and I went and got another. The 2nd situation worked well, and I am still in contact with the folks I shared that house with.

As for getting a wait job - I haven't done anything like that in a long long time - but that industry always has turnover, and their only job requirements are a pleasant appearance and personality, some honesty, and some energy. Doing a walking search should net something - I think it would be a good way to approach it.

For a higher level position, or office work, temp agencies and agents are the ones to put on your walking agenda.

Quote:
Good to know! Adult cats generally don't get along with each other at ALL, so I'm surprised it worked for 6 months, heh. It took me about 3+ months to introduce a new cat to my current one.

My sister was offered two apartments she's interested in. She'll mulling it over, now. Trying to figure out which one and will probably decide tonight. She's freaking out a bit, but like your daughter... she can always move out in a couple of months if it doesn't work out.

Good on her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles