Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 01:25 PM

21 posts, read 68,779 times

Advertisements

My job is transferring me in 2 weeks to work in downtown LA. I have a car but after visiting last month it seems that you have to pay everywhere you park, so I'd like to be able to take the bus to work. It is really unsafe to live downtown? Walking to work would be excellent, but not if it'll get me killed on the nights I have to work late. I just need a small studio apartment with a full kitchen. I need to keep my rent at 700 or under, which I know might get me laughed at, but I'm not looking for luxury, just a place to sleep and relative safety. I've seen lots of places on craigslist, but I need help identifying what is actually worthwhile, as far as areas go.

I'm sure these questions have been asked a million times, and I have done some searching, but it's taking me forever. I have 2 weeks to get from Texas to CA, so time is not on my side right now. I really appreciate any help you all can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 01:32 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
Koreatown, Hollywood, or Los Feliz might help. They are in your price range and are convenient to the Red Line which can take you to Downtown. The rails are the only reliable transportation MTA offers. Downtown you can jump a dash for 25 cents. Downtown is pretty tame during the day, just try to get out of there before dark.

Culver City is also in your price range but you would want to use your car.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:01 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
I think Koreatown might be your best option. K-town has subway access, reasonably priced rents, and is also centrally located to the rest of the city. It isn't necessarily the safest neighborhood in the city, but if you stay close to Wilshire you should be fine.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:04 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,305 times
Koreatown has the cheapest rent and subway access. Cheapest I've seen lately $800/$850.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:50 AM

Thanks very much for the responses. I've looked in those areas and they honestly scare me a bit.

If I use my car, what kind of $$ am I looking at for parking, and how hard is it to find space downtown to park?

I'm really interested in Glendale and Burbank if I decide to use my car. Any recommendations for apartments in those areas? I have a son who will be starting school this year, and the school in those cities seem to be highly rated. Can you take the rail to and from those cities?

Old 03-05-2008, 12:26 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,150 times
parking rates downtown can run anywhere from $8/day to over $30/day, depending upon the lot you choose. if you don't already know whether your job offers free parking or a monthly employee pass at a discount rate, you should ask.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:48 PM

240 posts, read 1,423,617 times
You can defintely live in Glendale or Burbank without driving your car downtown. You would simply drive or take a bus to the Metrolink/Amtrak station and take the train downtown to Union Station and then take the redline to the closest subway stop near your job or take a dash bus that only costs a quarter.

DASH - (213-310-323-818) 808-2273

Glendale Beeline - (818)548-3960

Metrolink - (800) 371-5465

Old 03-06-2008, 12:20 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotabega View Post
Thanks very much for the responses. I've looked in those areas and they honestly scare me a bit.

If I use my car, what kind of $$ am I looking at for parking, and how hard is it to find space downtown to park?

I'm really interested in Glendale and Burbank if I decide to use my car. Any recommendations for apartments in those areas? I have a son who will be starting school this year, and the school in those cities seem to be highly rated. Can you take the rail to and from those cities?
Universal City Red Line station has free park n ride. If you live in adjacent Burbank or Toluca Lake, it makes for an easy trip Downtown. Burbank also has the Metrolink. I lived in Glendale with no car for a while and it was pretty easy. There you're limited to buses. The best deals you'll get there are usually from literally driving or walking up and down streets and looking for "for rent" signs. Same thing in Toluca Lake/Burbank around NBC. A warning about Koreatown (not what you think) is if you have street parking, you may end up having to search for a while and park several blocks from your apartment. Look for a place with parking if you move there. Pasadena is a nice place to live and you can take the Gold Line to Downtown and you can find some really reasonable domiciles if you look. My top recommendations for nice, safe, relatively cheap and lots to do: Pasadena, Burbank, Glendale.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:34 PM

Well, ^%&$^#!! My plans have been changed and now I'll be working in Santa Monica. I had really made up my mind for Glendale or Burbank. Would that commute be too hellish to consider? Would public transportation still be an option?

Santa Monica is way too expensive for me, and I still have to consider the school district. Any suggestions on close cities to Santa Monica that don't have crap schools? My son has autism, so I have to be very careful about my choice.

Also any other suggestions on finding an apartment besides craigslist?

Old 03-07-2008, 04:42 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
Getting into Santa Monica in the am and out in the pm is one of the most arduous tasks in LA. Since your rent limit is $700, you will be one of the tens of thousands who make this commute everyday. The cheapest neighborhoods anywhere near Santa Monica are Palms and Mar Vista, both of which are under the LAUSD which doesn't have the best reputation. Good schools tend to be in neighborhoods that cost a lot of money. With your current situation, you may be better off staying in Texas and finding a new job. Don't get me wrong, Santa Monica is a great place to live and work, however, with your limited budget and child issues, it's probably too much for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles