Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2014, 09:38 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles is looked down upon by people who can't afford to move here and buy nice houses. It's jealousy and envy.

I live in the hills far away from the whirly pigs. I sleep with my bedroom window open every night and I can hear a squirrel cough at 100 feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 09:43 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Not sure what a city being "highly sought after" has to do with how severe the drought is. Most of Austin's lakes and streams are dried up.
He lives right near The Oasis restaurant. It's an incredible view. It's not as bad as you're making it out although the drought is bad.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:55 PM

If this topic is about LA being looked down upon, why are we discussing Austin restaurants?

I don't know how good a view the Oasis has, but how about the Odyssey in North Hills or the Yamashiro Sky Room in Hollywood.

My own house, I can see Russia from here. Um, okay maybe not that far, but at least I can't see my neighbor's house from here. Not unless I walk to my back fence.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:59 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
He lives right near The Oasis restaurant. It's an incredible view. It's not as bad as you're making it out although the drought is bad.
The Colorado River(the body of water that feeds the lake that restaurant and your friend are near) is at it's lowest levels ever recorded in that area. Do a Google image search for "Lake Travis 2014" and see for yourself. And it's reportedly being polluted by fracking, which is where a huge percentage of Texas' water is going instead of to cities and municipalities...

Last edited by MordinSolus; 06-06-2014 at 10:30 PM..

Old 06-08-2014, 11:59 AM

I have a great idea for improving the Colorado River. All it would take is getting rid of two dams and draining to dammed lakes. Yes, I am an outdoors enthusiast and I've been to most parts of the Colorado than most people have. I have 4x4 and love to drive to the rim where there are no humans for miles. Other times I park so close that I could stumble and fall in. But I hate the parts that are under water. I shudder at all the wonderful Indian artifacts and dwellings that are now gone forever.

I'm sure my opinion will find few in agreement.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:18 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I have a great idea for improving the Colorado River. All it would take is getting rid of two dams and draining to dammed lakes. Yes, I am an outdoors enthusiast and I've been to most parts of the Colorado than most people have. I have 4x4 and love to drive to the rim where there are no humans for miles. Other times I park so close that I could stumble and fall in. But I hate the parts that are under water. I shudder at all the wonderful Indian artifacts and dwellings that are now gone forever.

I'm sure my opinion will find few in agreement.
Yeah, few people would agree with cutting off the water supply of hundreds of thousands of people during a drought. For arrowheads.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:57 AM

95 posts, read 161,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
NYC has a lower crime rate in just about every category. You can check for yourself by doing a crime comparison between NYC and LA on Numbeo.

However there is not much difference and they are both considered to be 2 of the safest large cities.
I feel statistics only tell one side of the story. I lived in some of the safest (statistically) areas of Manhattan, but even in TriBeCa and SoHo, there are randoms just walking along the street and there's nothing you can do short of hiring a bodyguard. There will be bums and druggies on the same sidewalk as your million dollar condo. L.A. might have crime rate statistics similar to NYC, but crime is more concentrated in certain areas. For example, Hidden Hills, CA practically has no crime. Some of the burbs in The Valley (Calabasas, Thousand Oaks) definitely do not have panhandlers or druggies at your doorstep. You have the choice of living in a safer area in L.A. vs not having a choice at all in the matter in Manhattan.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:06 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,246,328 times
Travel to far out suburbs of NY and you'll get the same as Calabasas and Hidden Hills.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:51 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,826 times
There haven't been bums in SoHo for 15 years.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:06 PM

31 posts, read 33,306 times
I left LA in 1988 and I have missed it ever since. Not only did it feel like home after 11 years but it was in my bones I long for it. I was poor when I lived there and not on public assistance. It was difficult yet I still loved it. It was the only place I've ever lived where I wasn't sick from allergies year round. As the years have gone by I've gotten sicker. I am trying to find a mobile home that is affordable but either the home is affordable and the lot rent is not or the lot rent is affordable and the home isn't. When I lived there I loved taking trips up the coast and vacationing in Big Sur, the most gorgeous place ever. Highway 1 is lovely if a bit hairy up around Eureka- Klamath - Crescent City where I nearly ate it in a car accident at 16. I think the reason LA is looked down upon by some people in Northern Ca is that people on vacation tend to forget to pick up after themselves or litter.. I never have. I was raised from a young age to never litter. Also there is a tendency for people there to think LA and they are the center of the universe. The world is not a suburb of LA but it sure was fun. Also people are too image concious and too prejudice against those who don't fit their mold of what is beautiful. And people are cautious of others until they get to know you because it is s big city and as such there is crime. But once people get to know you they are faithful and hold their friends close. If one uses good sense there is no reason they shouldn't be safe in LA and the weather and gardening are ideal or were.. I don't know if I can afford it yet. I would even be happy with Torrance but maybe it'll take time. I have no desire to live in the Inland empire (what real estate agent made that up) its too hot there and one might as well live in Texas if you are going to live in El Monte or the Valley too. The smog is thick and the pollen and dust are thicker too. No, give me LA or the west or south area and i'll be happy and healthier again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles