Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 02:16 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times

Advertisements

If atheists were involved, a depiction of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (our deity) would be present.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 11:51 PM

671 posts, read 1,190,810 times
This story is true, but all parties are now satisfied as a new Christmas tree has been erected, mostly due to TV News reporting of the conflict. I believe the displayed Menorah was to be taken down, as well, but is also currently on display .

However, the irony is that a "Christmas" tree is NOT a religious symbol of Christianity. The holiday tree is PAGAN traced to pre-Christian Germanic pagan rituals. There is some though that Martin Luther adopted this tree worship symbol to Christianity, but that is not without controversy. But we still know it is pre-Christian Pagan. Yes, it was retained by these former Pagans once converted, but that does NOT make it a symbol of Christianity. Tree worship is pre-Christian and also included peoples throughout Europe, the Middle-East and Asia, the Chinese most significantly in that continent. This whole thing does not qualify as an assault on the Christmas holiday and its true religious symbols. Both the objections to a decorated tree and outrage to its non-inclusion are equally silly.

Last edited by HarryKerryJr; 12-08-2012 at 12:00 AM..

Old 12-08-2012, 01:48 AM

49 posts, read 159,719 times
I think its a shame that a Christmas tree and the holiday itself is now controversial. I talk to allot of older adults and they tell me that back in their day, you never saw or heard things happening like taking towns to court over Christmas decorations or nativity scenes that have been enjoyed by people in towns for decades being banned. Carolers being told they can't sing Christmas songs in the post office or schools around the country banning Christmas from campus. And wtf is a "holiday tree?" I respect the establishment clause, but now people are using it to silence and bully other people of faith (in particular, Christians). Oh and the supreme court has already ruled that the Christmas tree and the holiday itself is secular.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:50 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Yeah that is weird , what happened in Santa Monica is crazy too.

There is separation of church and state ( supposedly ) and freedom of religion . So then i could see it being tricky . People shouldn't be so uptight though ..it seems the supposedly laid back vibe of Santa Monica is gone...and maybe in the whole la area.

You get more of a laid back beach vibe in the south bay cities , hermosa manhattan redondo ..still la county but you are out of the west side craziness.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:36 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
AHEM! I'm a senior citizen and I am NOT crankier than you youngsters. DO YOU HEAR ME? I'm not cranky at all. GOT IT? You damn well better.
lol Well, I said often, not always. And I doubt you are of the age to be in a nursing home (as are the people in this article), but I could be wrong. That is about the age we tend to sometimes see personality changes (and with that comes complaints about Christmas trees, and really just about anything).

Old 12-09-2012, 06:37 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
As far I'm concerned, this little game works both ways.... I think the seniors should file a counter-complaint against the landlord stating that they find it offensive the atheists get to celebrate their lack of beliefs yearlong in these common areas through minimalism and lack of celebratory decorations.
lol That is hilarious.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:01 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,280,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipr View Post
On Tuesday, Tarzana-based JB Partners Group Inc. sent a memo to staff at The Willows senior apartments in Newhall, demanding they take down Christmas trees and menorahs in communal areas.
The company has owned The Willows for four years, but this is the first time it's given such a directive to staff.On Wednesday, two dozen residents in the 75-resident complex gathered in the lobby to place a neon green sign that read: "Please Save Our Tree."
"We're all angry. We want that tree," said Fern Scheel, who has lived at the complex for nearly two years. "Where's our freedom? This is ridiculous."
The Willows staff and JB Property supervisor Wethanie Law declined to comment.

Seniors decry ban on Christmas tree in their complex in Newhall - LA Daily News
They should move out. There aren't enough atheists to keep the landlords in business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles