Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 05:33 PM

171 posts, read 407,718 times

Advertisements

So here it is:

I'll be graduating high school in 2014, but while I'm still in school. I'll be working, in total I'll have about 20-30k in savings; realistically more like 21-22k, my cousins and brother that are in Atlanta are putting me through to some pretty good jobs (they have great connections; banks and airports).

I've heard many from people that you would need a car and traffic is pretty horrible; especially in the area I'm moving to. Southern California; Los Angeles County, I'll have that done and off my check list pretty soon. (Infiniti G35)

Before I even think about moving I would have a job and a home secured. Those are essential, moving anywhere without those is stupid IMO.

My field will (hopefully) be in computers, programming, developing, 3D modeling, business, or some type of creative job. But, we'll see what's available and what the job market is like in 2015 shooting for the best thought .

I also have a few questions:

Where is it best to live in Los Angeles County for young guys? I was looking at Orange County, but I've here a lot of horror stories. So far, I've narrow down to a few places; Santa Monica, Encino, Woodland Hills, Calabasas, or Sherman Oaks. I was considering Pasadena, but I've heard it's full of gangs. I'm trying to stay clear of that type of community.

I'm looking for a place that's around my age, 19 by the time I move, that's not in the "ghetto", kinda quiet, safe, and presentable and alive (although "alive" isn't something I'd stress about). I'm aware that prices are pretty steep, $1,000 and up. I'm prepared for that.

By the way, I'm not looking to rent, although is nothing comes about, I'll get use to it until I can get better, but I really don't want to waste my time or money. Whereas at the same time I could to financing a home.

So, how does my plan sound guys, any pointers or anything else are obviously welcomed. Thanks.

Pics, things to do, and other stuff would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 05:39 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,143,654 times
Sounds like you are really thinking this through! I'm sure with your level of planning, I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Orange County is just more suburban. For those moving to LA to experience LA, you would just feel a little more removed from everything.

Your career path sounds great. There are a lot of opportunities in those things around here.

The only thing I would say, is don't feel like you have to buy a home. Buying a home is a huge deal. Yes, in the long run it maybe more financially cost efficient for a life-long home, but don't be afraid of renting for a little bit.

Best of luck!

Old 12-07-2012, 05:47 PM

171 posts, read 407,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Sounds like you are really thinking this through! I'm sure with your level of planning, I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Orange County is just more suburban. For those moving to LA to experience LA, you would just feel a little more removed from everything.

Your career path sounds great. There are a lot of opportunities in those things around here.

The only thing I would say, is don't feel like you have to buy a home. Buying a home is a huge deal. Yes, in the long run it maybe more financially cost efficient for a life-long home, but don't be afraid of renting for a little bit.

Best of luck!
Thanks, do you know anything about the San Fernando Valley? I've read a lot about it, and it seems like someone my age would love to be.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:50 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,904,000 times
That's a hefty plan for a HS Sophomore. Kudos for beginning to think things through. First off, do you have a plan for higher education or hoping that your skills will be attractive enough to employers? Or, do you plan self employment?

Your top obstacle is your budget. Again, it will be impressive if you can sock $20K away by the time you graduate, but that won't come close to a down payment for a decent home in a decent area in Southern California. And, at your age, I'd be surprised if you've built much of a credit history. The money that you hope to save is 12-months worth of rent in some of the places you mention. Let alone all of the costs associated with your move, and monthly needs.

Again, it's great that you're planning for the future and you still have a lot of time. But further research is needed.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:48 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,439,174 times
That's a pretty smart plan for how young you are. You will absolutely be fine. However, as stated, you do need to do some more research because some of the things you stated won't pan out the way you expect them to. But you will definitely be OK moving.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:22 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,827,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonHardy View Post
I would have a job and a home secured.
So, how does my plan sound guys, any pointers or anything else are obviously welcomed. Thanks.

Pics, things to do, and other stuff would be much appreciated.

As soon as you have a job ask these questions again.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:47 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,636,358 times
If you plan on attending any universities CA is the worse choice financially.
Before moving to CA you may want to visit. There is a lot of states to choose from.
Make sure you are moving toward something and not away from something.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:58 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,636,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonHardy View Post
Which is better suited for me Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton, or Ottawa? (best cities)
Hey guys, this is my first post here so I'm sorry if this or anything similar have already been posted.

So, I've been doing a lot of serious researching for the last 3 weeks on which major city in Canada might be right for me, but its been a tough decision. I graduate high school next year (2013) and could really use well rounded advice.

Few questions (hopefully not too many):

1) Will I be able to make friends in any of these cities?

2) How are the girls? I've heard a couple of things, mixed really on the attitude of some (mostly in Toronto), and if so are they hot? Would I have a shot at any? Here's a pic so you can judge:

3) Safety; which parts of these city are safest?

4) Day & Nightlife; which city is more fun?

5) Finally, from personal experience which city would you recommend more?

Thanks for any help you could give me. Looking forward to becoming an "active" member of this forum. Considering how friendly it is.
I would move to Canada before LA anyday!

Old 12-07-2012, 10:12 PM

37,237 posts, read 39,519,313 times
It depends on what you mean by best place. Some exciting places are going to be Hollywood, Culver City, downtown, Pasadena and Santa Monica. Those are incidentally also places where you might not need a car to survive in (which means your savings will go a lot further). Santa Monica is a pretty good hotbed for tech startups these days as is downtown LA. If you are continuing your higher education (pretty recommended overall) and you have maybe UCLA as your target, you can go to a good community college such as the ones in Santa Monica or Pasadena to get your first two years out of the way and meanwhile establish residency so you can qualify for in-state tuition at public schools both of which would save you a lot of money while offering a good education (you will have to be self-motivated though). As for your particular question of crime in Pasadena, I wouldn't worry about it because it really isn't bad. There is some possibility of you affording the down payment for a studio or one-bedroom in these parts which is perfectly fine for a single person, but you'll definitely have to be working to pay that off while you're at it and you would probably have to throw car ownership out of the question (not to bad for the places I listed as they generally have pretty good bus access, some have rail access and all of them are slated to have rail access in the future).

Old 12-07-2012, 10:23 PM

231 posts, read 391,367 times
Devon,
I love your enthusiasm and how you have put so much thought into your plan. A few things to think about:
Insuring an Infinity at your age in this state will NOT be cheap. Consider an older Accord or Corolla. Save your money up front on the purchase and especially in insurance and registration in the long run.

The most beautiful city in California is Santa Barbara (yes, I am biased...I live here). We have many young people here and up and coming tech industries that might suit your needs.

But be aware that finding any studio, apartment or house to rent for $1,000.00 is going to be nearly impossible. And in 2 to 3 years rents will probably be higher. Consider sharing an apartment with someone when you first move out here. If possible, just rent a room from someone on a month to month basis to make sure you really like it here (the fantasy is always better than the reality). Don't sign a 1 year lease and be stuck some place you might hate in a few weeks.

Keep working hard, but remember that your grades and schooling come first. Keep saving. And keep reading City Data for more information.

Best wishes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles