Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 09:12 AM

10 posts, read 13,049 times

Advertisements

Thanks again for the great feedback! I guess it's time to plan few visits and start looking around.

@CarawayDJ: I've visited both San Francisco and Los Angeles (never been to San Diego yet). I must agree with you on San Francisco, it definitely feels more European than any other city on the West Coast.

There are multiple things I don't like about the Seattle area. The weather is by far my biggest complaint. I don't remember the last time I saw the sun, it was probably around thanksgiving. The rain doesn't bother me too much, but the lack of light.... yes, absolutely! It affects my mood (I am sure you have heard of the SAD before). I love outdoor activities, but I don't like running in the rain or skiing when it's snowing and visibility is near zero (apparently those are the best skiing conditions for people here). You want to invite your friends over to visit during late August...

I heard about how Skid Row is really bad in Los Angeles.... try walking in downtown Seattle, it seems like being on the set of a zombie movie. I am sure it is not as bad as LA, but the big difference is that there is nothing in Skid Row that is worth visiting while downtown Seattle is probably one of the most touristic area of the city.

The city feeling is not only about the vibe you get walking around... try watching the local news channels. Usually the biggest problems are angry raccoons, bears stucked in some backyards, a group of duck that can't cross the highway.... oh yes, and the traffic has gotten worse and worse. I live in Kirkland on the Eastside and going to Seattle is a pain... there are only 2 bridges and quite often the 520 is closed because they are working on it.

You mentioned your wife is from Europe. I hope she is not into fashion or that she loves dressing pretty... that's something that doesn't exist here.

For many people Seattle is the best place in the world (I must say that this is true for many people who were born and raised here), for me... it's not. I never felt a connection with this place. The "hippy" culture (not sure if that's the right term) is as far as it can be from me.

But again, everyone is different... I am sure you know what you are getting into and that you will probably love the place. The quality of living here is very high and it is a good place to raise kids. Schools are very good. I just want to offer a different point of view than what you may have seen during a rare sunny day or by reading stuff on the internet.

I don't think Los Angeles is THE answer for us. After having spent a little bit of time evaluating different opportunities, I don't see any other options. San Francisco is very expensive, the weather in summer sucks. Ans what's the point of being close to the ocean is you can't enjoy the beach? It seems to me that Los Angeles could be a very good compromise. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't have anything to lose in trying.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 10:05 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor1 View Post
I heard about how Skid Row is really bad in Los Angeles.... try walking in downtown Seattle, it seems like being on the set of a zombie movie. I am sure it is not as bad as LA, but the big difference is that there is nothing in Skid Row that is worth visiting while downtown Seattle is probably one of the most touristic area of the city.
Dowtown Seattle is like being on the set of a zombie movie? Seattle's DT is by far the best one I've ever been in. Sure, it has some sketchy parts, but for the most part it is great. Downtown LA can't even compare.

As for your other points on how Seattle is not for you, I completely understand that, but I think you will find that LA is not superior in all these areas that you mentioned. There will be some things that you thought you would love in LA but you turn out to hate. I think right now you are just looking for anything that is not Seattle.

However, if Seattle isn't working for you, then get out. It's completely normal. Like any city in the world, some are just not going to like it.

Good luck!

Old 12-17-2012, 10:41 AM

107 posts, read 441,601 times
We left Seattle for LA in 2004 and never looked back. Seattle was a bad fit for us culturally and the weather was unbearable. I think, based on your specific complaints about Seattle, that you will love LA. Other places, besides the westside, to consider in LA would be Burbank, Glendale, and Pasadena. These cities aren't quite as dense as the westside and houses dominate over high-rises. However, they are centrally located to much of LA and you might find that a centrally located city adds value. The westside is notorious for bad traffic and, coming from Kirkland, you know just how slow traffic can go...

Best of luck!

Old 12-17-2012, 11:07 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor1 View Post
Thanks again for the great feedback! I guess it's time to plan few visits and start looking around.

@CarawayDJ: I've visited both San Francisco and Los Angeles (never been to San Diego yet). I must agree with you on San Francisco, it definitely feels more European than any other city on the West Coast.

There are multiple things I don't like about the Seattle area. The weather is by far my biggest complaint. I don't remember the last time I saw the sun, it was probably around thanksgiving. The rain doesn't bother me too much, but the lack of light.... yes, absolutely! It affects my mood (I am sure you have heard of the SAD before). I love outdoor activities, but I don't like running in the rain or skiing when it's snowing and visibility is near zero (apparently those are the best skiing conditions for people here). You want to invite your friends over to visit during late August...

The city feeling is not only about the vibe you get walking around... try watching the local news channels. Usually the biggest problems are angry raccoons, bears stucked in some backyards, a group of duck that can't cross the highway.... oh yes, and the traffic has gotten worse and worse. I live in Kirkland on the Eastside and going to Seattle is a pain... there are only 2 bridges and quite often the 520 is closed because they are working on it.

You mentioned your wife is from Europe. I hope she is not into fashion or that she loves dressing pretty... that's something that doesn't exist here.

For many people Seattle is the best place in the world (I must say that this is true for many people who were born and raised here), for me... it's not. I never felt a connection with this place. The "hippy" culture (not sure if that's the right term) is as far as it can be from me.

But again, everyone is different... I am sure you know what you are getting into and that you will probably love the place. The quality of living here is very high and it is a good place to raise kids. Schools are very good. I just want to offer a different point of view than what you may have seen during a rare sunny day or by reading stuff on the internet.

I don't think Los Angeles is THE answer for us. After having spent a little bit of time evaluating different opportunities, I don't see any other options. San Francisco is very expensive, the weather in summer sucks. Ans what's the point of being close to the ocean is you can't enjoy the beach? It seems to me that Los Angeles could be a very good compromise. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't have anything to lose in trying.

Thanks!
I wasn't trying to change your mind about Seattle or LA, just questioning why you thought LA might be the place. I really don't bash cities. I might say that there are places "I" would never live, but I won't bash the place. We aren't all the same and we all like different things. We all place different priorities on what is important in a city or town. LA has a lot of people. It clearly is a damned good place for many of them. For just about every city in America, you can find people who believe it's paradise and also those who believe it's hell on earth. For example, some of what you don't like about Seattle is what I will like. I WANT to move to a place that cares less about fashion and style. Rain is the price one pays for GREEN. I've never had SAD. In fact, I grew up in NH (nearly as little sunlight as Seattle) and never heard the term. When I lived in Germany (less sunlight than Seattle) I never heard the term. I first heard about it on this forum. Since then I've looked it up and see it's common. Now that I know about it I'll probably get it myself

You should visit San Diego too. I think of it as a downsized version of LA. For me personally, it is right sized. If LA ends up being a little too big and crowded drive south to San Diego for a trip. You really can't lose. CA has a lot of nice places. The worst that can happen is that you spend a couple years in a nice place and move on. I'll have fond memories of my years here. Won't rule out a return, but we'll probably go to Europe if Seattle doesn't fit us.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
I wasn't trying to change your mind about Seattle or LA, just questioning why you thought LA might be the place. I really don't bash cities. I might say that there are places "I" would never live, but I won't bash the place. We aren't all the same and we all like different things. We all place different priorities on what is important in a city or town. LA has a lot of people. It clearly is a damned good place for many of them. For just about every city in America, you can find people who believe it's paradise and also those who believe it's hell on earth. For example, some of what you don't like about Seattle is what I will like. I WANT to move to a place that cares less about fashion and style. Rain is the price one pays for GREEN. I've never had SAD. In fact, I grew up in NH (nearly as little sunlight as Seattle) and never heard the term. When I lived in Germany (less sunlight than Seattle) I never heard the term. I first heard about it on this forum. Since then I've looked it up and see it's common. Now that I know about it I'll probably get it myself

You should visit San Diego too. I think of it as a downsized version of LA. For me personally, it is right sized. If LA ends up being a little too big and crowded drive south to San Diego for a trip. You really can't lose. CA has a lot of nice places. The worst that can happen is that you spend a couple years in a nice place and move on. I'll have fond memories of my years here. Won't rule out a return, but we'll probably go to Europe if Seattle doesn't fit us.
I will definitely visit San Diego. And from what you are saying, as long as the weather doesn't bother you, you will like it here. If you have kids (or plan to have in the near future) Mercer Island or the eastside are great options.
Again, everyone is different and everyone will feel comfortable living in a different place. At least we are lucky enough to be able to choose and try different environments.

Good luck with your move to the evergreen state!

Old 12-17-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliInChappaqua View Post
We left Seattle for LA in 2004 and never looked back. Seattle was a bad fit for us culturally and the weather was unbearable. I think, based on your specific complaints about Seattle, that you will love LA. Other places, besides the westside, to consider in LA would be Burbank, Glendale, and Pasadena. These cities aren't quite as dense as the westside and houses dominate over high-rises. However, they are centrally located to much of LA and you might find that a centrally located city adds value. The westside is notorious for bad traffic and, coming from Kirkland, you know just how slow traffic can go...

Best of luck!
Thanks for your feedback! I will take a look at the areas you mentioned as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles