Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 12:01 AM

6 posts, read 61,004 times

Advertisements

I am working out the financial details for my brother, his friend and I to make the move to LA. We are all fine dining servers in Philly currently.

Is anyone here a server or know someone that is?
What are the best area's for high end restaurants? (that all the rich people go to)

With Cali's minimum wage being $7.50/hr plus tips, I can only assume we would make very good money in a high class area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 05:10 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,337,388 times
You can make pretty good money in fine dining if you get in the right place. I got out of the biz a few years ago. Bartenders in hot establishments make more. Some restaurants put a premium on looks and request a photo with your resume and others don't. One thing is certain: wine knowledge or lack thereof will determine where you work. Good luck.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:25 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
There is a definate premium on looks for the nicer places. Also, openings are usually in short supply. For the places where you would make killer tips, someone would have to die before there is an opening. It seems to me that females seem to be more in demand than males for most places.

My suggestion, take a bartending course and try to become a bartender. There are thousands and thousands of people coming to LA to try to land a server gig so unless you and your brother look like Josh Hartnet, Brad Pitt or someone like that, you may end up working at "not so fine dining" establishments.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:29 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,508,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mincrum View Post
I am working out the financial details for my brother, his friend and I to make the move to LA. We are all fine dining servers in Philly currently.

Is anyone here a server or know someone that is?
What are the best area's for high end restaurants? (that all the rich people go to)

With Cali's minimum wage being $7.50/hr plus tips, I can only assume we would make very good money in a high class area.
You can always get a start at one of the chain steak & seafood Restaurants, Chart House, Dukes, etc.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
It seems to me that females seem to be more in demand than males for most places.
...except high end fine dining. There is a huge prejudice against females. I know a few who managed to permeate it but for the most part it's still male dominated.

Regarding securing employment, keep in touch with them. Most people apply and then drop the ball. Other do the unthinkable...they come on as a busboy to start. In a decent place you can still walk with 100-150 or more a night as a busboy. A friend of mine did this and was promoted to server and was making (until recently getting canned for being an a-hole) over $1000 a night.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:31 AM

[quote=Sorcerer68;1750063. A friend of mine did this and was promoted to server and was making (until recently getting canned for being an a-hole) over $1000 a night.[/QUOTE]

Thats a substantial income for a waiter. If he worked full time that would be over $240,000 a year.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:33 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
Thats a substantial income for a waiter. If he worked full time that would be over $240,000 a year.
I think I need to change careers.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:17 PM

6 posts, read 61,004 times
Which areas of LA have the best restaurants for the greatest potential for income?

As for making $1,000 a night, that seems very high. $1,000 at 20% tips is $20,000 in sales. Maybe thats possible or maybe clients are tipping more that 20%; I don't know how LA restaurants behave. I do know that even in the best restaurants in Philadelphia that would be impossible.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Which areas of LA have the best restaurants for the greatest potential for income?

As for making $1,000 a night, that seems very high. $1,000 at 20% tips is $20,000 in sales. Maybe thats possible or maybe clients are tipping more that 20%; I don't know how LA restaurants behave. I do know that even in the best restaurants in Philadelphia that would be impossible.
The only way i can see $1,000 a night is at some hi-end club/dinnerclub where you need to hand over cash to get priority seating, table, or acceptance. You get 7 people to hand you $100 for some favor and your up to $700 + general food/drink tips. Thats really the only explaination I can think of. Restaurants where prices are $28-50, generally do not get a big turnover through the night. I also suspect and have heard many people will not tip 20% on a $200 bottle of wine.

Regarding your question: Beverly Hills, Melrose/West Hollywood Areas, Santa Monica, and a few in Malibu. This may or may not be a good suggestion, but you may want to check a place called Campanili restaurant. I hate the place, but its packed and expensive. There are many others. Pick up a restaurant guide and you will see they are clumped in certain areas, then work from there.

Funny thing is that more and more frequently I see fat, ugly, and in many cases totally unqualified individuals working as food servers in very expensive restaurants around town. Not putting everyone down, most of the time service is generally good. But I suspect if your reliable, decent looking, have a good resume, you should be ok.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:02 AM

Quote:

I'm speaking of the highest of fine dining establishments and also a very hot locale. If you're pouring wine that's $500-1000+ per bottle (we had bottles up to $20,000) and have a genuine a' la carte menu and serve several courses...it's easy for a party of 2 to have a $700 bill. A typical night I had 4 turns and a huge station. I remember ringing 50k in sales in one brutal day when someone called in sick and we had large parties on top of large parties with no end in sight. I had lots of help. I'd often have 3 parties of 12 at the same time and we had a pushy maitre 'd who kept the tables turning. I had to "grease" him for doing that. Also keep in mind I was getting 18 percent guaranteed for 5+ and often got tipped handsomely on top of it. We had a fine selection of very expensive cognac and many other ways for people to waste money. This wasn't Red Lobster. It is high but it happens. I've made 100k a year waiting tables and I quit several years ago. I never said it happened everywhere, you have to find the killer job. And you have to pay your dues. With a high-priced menu and a killer wine list, it's totally doable. A word...you have to be a career server to get a job like this. They sniff out actors and flakes easily.

When I quit, the "pretty good" jobs you'd walk with a bill a night. The "really good" places you'd leave with 300-400. The best jobs...they'll never tell you how much they make. I was in the business 17 years and worked from a coffee shop to the top. 9/11 was a devastating blow to restaurants and hospitality. Fine dining took a hard hit. I was a casualty of many layoffs. Tumbleweeds would have looked at home in many dining rooms formerly teeming with business. Many places closed. I swallowed my pride and went to work at Cheesecake Factory which I considered beneath me after working for some of the biggest names in the business. They were still busy and I could walk to it from my house. I made $100 for lunches and about $140 for dinner, sometimes more. I'm sure they do much better now, the menu prices are a lot higher than they were in 2001. It was at least predictable. I wasn't planning on staying there a long time and worked there while I returned to college. This is a good place to start for newbies to L.A. as they hire more on looks and personality than experience. Look at restaurants on Robertson and Sunset Strip. There are a couple of killer, very high-end places Downtown as well. Look in BH too.

Last edited by Sorcerer68; 10-18-2007 at 05:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles