Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 09:10 PM

6 posts, read 9,127 times

Advertisements

This is in regards to foot traffic only. LA is often mocked for being the world's biggest suburb, as many on this forum have referenced Los Angeles as having a mediocre skyline and vastly overrated metropolis. (In relation to NYC and CHI that is)

I'm not very familair with SoCal, but on the couple times I've been in downtown LA I'm always surprised how "dead and unpopulated" it feels. Again, I'm talking about foot traffic only. SF has a vibrant core with huge amounts of people walking on it's streets, even more so on weekends.

Seattle also has prime foot traffic locations where everybody mingles about (Westlake Center, Pike Place Market), but the only such area I've seen in Downtown LA is the Staples Center before and after ball games.

LA is so spread out that I'm sure it's outskirts top the outskirts of any other city in the US, but I can think of handful of US cities with a more vibrant core than Los Angeles. My question what is the most vibrant and dense location of people in LA?

Is it Venice Beach? The Promenade? The Boulevard? Which area is most compatible to Times Square?

School Me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 09:25 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
The most dense sections of LA are just west of downtown and filled almost exclusively by immigrants from central America. This area is also quite vibrant, but not really a worthwhile visit if you don't speak Spanish. For an English language experience, check out the areas you mentioned.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:21 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,386,392 times
The only place I can think of that is full of people and can barely move at times is on Hollywood Blvd near Hollywood and Highland. But that is because of the street performers who create crowds and block the sidewak or people taking pictures of the stars .

Old 01-26-2013, 10:38 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,040,062 times
first post, eh? way to get the ball (t)rolling...

i can only laugh and shake my head every time a poster with no connection to LA (often with a brand spanking new CD account) chooses to spam this board with these types of queries. sometimes they're subtle about it, and other times they're blatantly obvious about their anti-LA bias. doesn't make it any less pathetic either way.

on a related note, why is the LA forum such a magnet for trolling/baiting topics and posts? it seems like one or two of these types of threads are constantly active in this forum. it's as if some people out there have a pathological need to "put LA in its place", so to speak.

to answer the question which has been brought up ad nauseam on this forum, there are many pockets in the city and region with strong pedestrian activity, including parts of downtown (spring street, santee alley, etc), westlake/macarthur park, silver lake around sunset junction, the main commercial areas of hollywood, ditto with west hollywood, parts of westwood, downtown santa monica near the promenade, the venice beach boardwalk, and so on and so forth.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:38 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,298,066 times
Koreatown on Wilshire. That spot is always packed.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:04 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post

i can only laugh and shake my head every time a poster with no connection to LA (often with a brand spanking new CD account) chooses to spam this board with these types of queries. sometimes they're subtle about it, and other times they're blatantly obvious about their anti-LA bias. doesn't make it any less pathetic either way.

on a related note, why is the LA forum such a magnet for trolling/baiting topics and posts? it seems like one or two of these types of threads are constantly active in this forum. it's as if some people out there have a pathological need to "put LA in its place", so to speak.

to answer the question which has been brought up ad nauseam on this forum, there are many pockets in the city and region with strong pedestrian activity, including parts of downtown (spring street, santee alley, etc), westlake/macarthur park, silver lake around sunset junction, the main commercial areas of hollywood, ditto with west hollywood, parts of westwood, downtown santa monica near the promenade, the venice beach boardwalk, and so on and so forth.
Yep. LA in my experience has pretty decent foot traffic.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:56 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post

Solid post. These are haters basically. They need to bring themselves to a boil, probably so they don't freeze to death in whatever igloo/city they're posting from.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:13 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,851,529 times
They hate our freedom.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
The most dense sections of LA are just west of downtown and filled almost exclusively by immigrants from central America. This area is also quite vibrant, but not really a worthwhile visit if you don't speak Spanish. For an English language experience, check out the areas you mentioned.
Appreciate it, that's ok language is not a big issue at all as I speak both English and Spanish.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
The only place I can think of that is full of people and can barely move at times is on Hollywood Blvd near Hollywood and Highland. But that is because of the street performers who create crowds and block the sidewak or people taking pictures of the stars .
Yeah I've taken pics with Darth Vader lol, but I'm def gonna check the club scene at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles