Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2013, 12:06 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,446,341 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I'm tossing around the idea of a change in scenery and find that the LA area is on my short list after I started listing pros and cons. So now I need a bit of help from you all. What are some "great" companies to work for that have offices in the greater LA Area? I have an absolutely awesome job right now, but we haven't had any openings in the area for almost two years so a job transfer isn't realistic. I'm more concerned with the corporate culture vs. what industry the company is actually in.

But I do have a lot of experience working IT in creative companies. The LA area equivalent of Nike, Google, Apple, and Amazon are what I'm looking for.

Ideal companies:
- Casual work place
- Creative work, or fosters a creative environment
- Subscribes to modern business science theories such as Matrixed Management and Responsibilites
- International presence
- Has IT needs
- Growing, or at least staying stable
- frequent job transfers (IE, after two years you have a good chance of moving to another position)
- Opportunities such as stretch projects and assignments
- Ideas for improvements come from the bottom up instead of top down

I'm already following these companies in LinkedIn:
- Disney
- Universal Studios
- Sony
- Hurley (via Nike)
- ESPN
- CEVA Logistics
- Northrop Grumman

I'd prefer to stay away from Governmental entities, financial institutions, healthcare, and anything in the legal fields. I'd also be interested in knowing who the local recruiters are so that I can approach them directly.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 12:09 PM

4,324 posts, read 6,289,328 times
Not sure if any of the LA companies on your list fit into that unique bucket that you'll find with Nike, Google, Apple and Amazon. You may want to look and see if one of your target companies has a large satellite office in the LA area.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Not sure if any of the LA companies on your list fit into that unique bucket that you'll find with Nike, Google, Apple and Amazon. You may want to look and see if one of your target companies has a large satellite office in the LA area.
I am already following all of them that do

Old 02-10-2013, 05:38 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,607,839 times
Several automotive-industry related companies are based in SoCal and likely have what you're looking for - Edmunds, TrueCar, KBB, Dealer.com (based in VT, offices in LA), etc. Facebook also has an office in LA, but its small. You may also consider companies like Mattel (el segundo) - and other aerospace's (Boeing, Raytheon).

Old 02-10-2013, 10:15 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,052,415 times
Patagonia?

Old 02-10-2013, 11:00 PM

3 posts, read 6,026 times
Default Companies to Consider

Within LA County, try looking at the following companies with headquarters here that might meet your criteria. Keep in mind that in LA, a ton of people actually work for fairly small businesses. It's surprising entrepreneurial here.

NastyGal
The Honest Company
Demand Media
Activision Blizzard
uSamp
Hulu
eHarmony
Riot Games
Machinima

Warner Bros., AT&T, NBC Universal, Live Nation, Mattel, Northrop Grumman, Boeing, Disney, Fox, Sony, and DirecTV are some of the largest employers in the area that might meet some of your criteria, but are fairly corporate and not necessarily growing like a tech start-up.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:04 AM

23,553 posts, read 24,064,911 times
I have heard that Amgen in Thousand Oaks is a good employer.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:57 AM

Thanks all, some good ideas here that I will check out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles