Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 05:32 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,970,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIALAXFLYER View Post
Thanks for the compliment. I lived in Miami from 1981-1987, 1990-2000, 2002-2004 and in LA from 2004-2012 and trying to figure out how to organize my life to move back asap.
This is so absolutely amazing. You know, I am originally from NY/NJ, spent many years overseas to include 3 years in 3 different Asian countries, spent 10 years in Miami because I wanted to be as one with my Caribbean roots, now I am in DC but have been working in Southern Ca for the past few months.

I will tell you what, you are spot on. It's one thing to be able to live in all these places but it is another to really take a deeper look into the texture and culture of a city. Because I have been exposed to many, I had to leave Miami for exactly what you explained. Now I am in DC, I hate it and want to move to Southern California. I can't tell anyone in DC I hate it or else they will get upset so I come here to vent

But I must admit, I am from the Caribbean so the cultures that contribute to the East Coast's texture are not often found in southern California like the Italians, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Brazilians, etc. But I think I am ok with that....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 07:01 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIALAXFLYER View Post
Thanks for the compliment. I lived in Miami from 1981-1987, 1990-2000, 2002-2004 and in LA from 2004-2012 and trying to figure out how to organize my life to move back asap.
Got it. You lived through some interesting periods of Miami's history, going as far back as to when South Beach was still a run down place for old retirees.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:47 PM

361 posts, read 837,468 times
Looks like Miami is actually growing like crazy and is becoming the new destination for young professionals from the North East.
LA is more an established city.
I like that, everything looks new and clean in Miami and it changes everyday.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:46 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,668,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmanu View Post
Looks like Miami is actually growing like crazy and is becoming the new destination for young professionals from the North East.
LA is more an established city.
I like that, everything looks new and clean in Miami and it changes everyday.
gonna need a lot of changes to be like LA.

still only a place for partying or vacationing

Last edited by owl6969; 05-14-2015 at 06:16 AM..

Old 05-15-2015, 06:03 PM

696 posts, read 1,170,515 times
Los Angeles is snoozeville compared to Miami. Los Angeles is nothing more then San Diego on steroids w/ entertainment industry.

Miami has cleaner air, better beaches, better women, better nightlife, better skyline, it's easier to navigate and feels much more international.

Also let's not forget CA is going bankrupt, running out of water, more and more people are moving out and has higher then hell taxes.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:20 AM

628 posts, read 819,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
Also let's not forget CA is going bankrupt, running out of water, more and more people are moving out and has higher then hell taxes.
I think this is the important part. It doesn't just affect residents, it hurts businesses. If you look at unemployment it's always higher in California vs other states.

Old 06-14-2015, 02:58 AM

4 posts, read 4,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
Got it. You lived through some interesting periods of Miami's history, going as far back as to when South Beach was still a run down place for old retirees.
Yes, I did! I lived on South Beach and went to school there when it was just plain old Miami Beach and Ocean Drive was lined with crack hotels and retirees sitting in plastic-strapped chairs on crumbling verandas. And Lincoln Road? Forget it! Full of old decrepit empty stores. But the Lums and the Lincoln Cinema theater were great. I get a real kick today when I walk around the city and remember what it used to be.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:05 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
The only thing Miami had over LA is nightlife. Then again I was shocked at how tame LAs nightlife is compared to other smaller cities like Miami or even Austin Texas. I've had a rowdier time there than I ever had in LA. LA has an overwhelming chilled environment to it. The Southern cities like Nashville, Miami, Austin, Houston, and Atlanta all have this spring break go all out kinda vibe, or they model their clubs after Vegas.

I really don't see how Miami would be a place to live in other than that.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:20 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
A LOT OF MIAMIANS ARE KINDA DUMB. Okay, I'm sorry to have to put it this bluntly, but seriously. Miami is considered part of the Caribbean Rim so there's some of that same attitude in Miami's culture. There are tons of smart people in Miami but most of the people you will encounter in your day to day life just don't seem to have the intellectual capacity to handle things quickly. When I first moved to LA, I remember how shocked I was at how smoothly and quickly things like utilities took to get set up. And I wasn't being spoken to in Spanish. And it took 10 minutes on the phone. Good luck with that in Miami. I lived 3 years in Central America also and I see a lot of similarities between how things (don't) get done there and how things (don't) get done in Miami. I am Asian and an immigrant myself as well as the child of immigrants. So I have seen it from all angles. Immigrants bring their culture with them, and Miami is primarily immigrant so you are dealing with an immigrant culture. It really is a little bit like living in another country. People are going to accuse me of being racist and saying I am calling immigrants dumb or some other PC bull****, and that's their right. I have lived in a lot of places, I am an immigrant myself, and there are smart immigrants and dumb immigrants, just like there are smart people and dumb people. The immigrants in NY are sharp, and the immigrants in MIA are not as sharp. Maybe the hot and humid weather dulls their senses. Whatever. It's something you will have to deal with there.
LA has its share of mediocre service and lagging. It's not that people here are dumber it's just that they might be more aloof. Lots of creative people using their job as a means to an end and can be a bit more apathetic to quality service. LA is not a "dumb" city like New Yorkers like to say, it's just got its head in the clouds. It's a dreamy city.

Product wise, craft wise California is known for quality. In that sense we are like the Italy of the country making the very best of everything with superior quality. I don't know if this says much since the Euros I know keep saying everything in the US sucks compared to the EU but as far as the US is concerned CA = quality, everywhere else it's about quantity.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:39 AM

755 posts, read 675,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
The only thing Miami had over LA is nightlife. Then again I was shocked at how tame LAs nightlife is compared to other smaller cities like Miami or even Austin Texas. I've had a rowdier time there than I ever had in LA. LA has an overwhelming chilled environment to it. The Southern cities like Nashville, Miami, Austin, Houston, and Atlanta all have this spring break go all out kinda vibe, or they model their clubs after Vegas.

I really don't see how Miami would be a place to live in other than that.
Definitely not true.

Miami night live is smaller, but it is more centralized, giving the illusion that it has better night life.

It is better to have the night life more centralized for clubbing and bar hopping, but overall LA is better. LA has more bars, more clubs, more people, and more variety.

Plus, walking around in that summer humidity at night in nice clothes stink! Figuratively and literally.

Last edited by jmac1; 06-15-2015 at 09:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles