Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 03:24 PM

25 posts, read 53,430 times

Advertisements

I've searched online but they don't seem the updated information or not clear. I found one site with this year's schedule of career fairs in California but it didn't give me any further details.
Can someone tell me where to look for these information? My dh is trying to find a job in IT field and would like to attend a few career fairs when we visit California in April or May. (March could be an option too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 05:58 PM

139 posts, read 300,718 times
I worked in IT before I moved out of L.A. last month. There are alot of jobs but it is VERY competitive once you get beyond desktop support. In my experiences I found it to all about networking, I'm sure it is like that elsewhere. If he doesn't get directly hired by a company definitely go through an agency. He may have to do temp work without benefits but at least he can start building a name and knowing the lay of the land more.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:31 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,902,033 times
not sure about career fairs but attending networking events might help. there are some networking events focused on tech in LA. look at this meetup, for instance:

http://www.latechhappyhour.com/

twiistup.com also does events every now and then.

also, if he puts his resume up agencies should get in touch with him, recruiters these days are pretty aggressive.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:21 PM

925 posts, read 1,334,213 times
@sprint100, Do you have any comments on the software development side? Does LA have alot of enterprise software dev?

LA is suppose to be the "next" big tech startup scene behind NYC in terms of funding, but not sure how that translates to Jobs. Maybe the OP can post his resume up on dice or indeed to see what kind of traction he will receive.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:33 PM

@kasuga - i know your question was directed at sprint, but i work as a software dev here in LA so i think i can chime in.

i recently moved back from NYC and here in LA it seems most places want full-stack, front-to-back devs, meaning you'll have to know not only server side and enterprise dev and all of what it entails, but also HTML5, CSS, javascript with jquery, etc. with the web development framework of your choice (.net/java or j2ee/python with django/php with cake/ruby on rails etc). it's not a 100% requirement but the vast majority of jobs list them as almost-required. i was bummed initially because i enjoy server side stuff far more than front-end dev but was lucky to get into the big data space. so i "escaped" this time but i'll be sprucing up my front end skills in the meantime.

mobile dev and big data are also in demand. if i had to rank the skills by demand tho, i'd list them like so:

1: pure web dev using one of the frameworks i mentioned above
2: mobile dev (android/iOS but preferably know both)
3: big data

also, most of the software dev jobs are at small-to-medium-size companies, unlike say in NYC where the massive investment banks and various other financial service firms would suck up a major portion of the developer population. so if you're looking for really challenging enterprise level work, you'll have to look around because the firms aren't that big and their businesses aren't that complex. this also means that their benefits and 401Ks aren't as awesome, but they're generally not too bad either.

in terms of the industries here in LA, ad-serving and ad-targeting seem to be the hottest areas right now. just abt every job i interviewed for was related in some capacity to either one of them.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:00 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,081,480 times
I'd look into the Bay Area, the IT job market is still very hot there. At some point it will probably crash but probably not for a few years at least.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
I'd look into the Bay Area, the IT job market is still very hot there. At some point it will probably crash but probably not for a few years at least.
i seriously doubt if the IT market will ever 'crash' as such...

Old 03-20-2013, 07:59 AM

925 posts, read 1,334,213 times
Thanks for the detail info ElysianEagle!!

Seems I am in a similar situation as you were coming from NYC. I'm more of backend Java/Spring/Hibernate type of guy doing Integration/Consultant type of work. I'm really resistance to Javascript as all the examples i've seen looks like puke Are there any complimentary technology you can recommend? I'm thinking maybe picking up Grails or Spring Web Framework and Hadoop/Mahout

Thanks!!

Old 03-28-2013, 04:36 PM

139 posts, read 300,718 times
Sorry I didn't respond, I am a UC guy basically hardware and networking side so I don't keep up with Software Dev.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post
Thanks for the detail info ElysianEagle!!

Seems I am in a similar situation as you were coming from NYC. I'm more of backend Java/Spring/Hibernate type of guy doing Integration/Consultant type of work. I'm really resistance to Javascript as all the examples i've seen looks like puke Are there any complimentary technology you can recommend? I'm thinking maybe picking up Grails or Spring Web Framework and Hadoop/Mahout

Thanks!!
yes, big data is in big demand right now, but still overall it comes in at #3 as i mentioned. you have a good skillset so hold on to it, but as i said to increase your chances of getting offers pick up some front end stuff as well just in case. many of the nosql databases are also in demand, especially mongodb. the hadoop framework (mapreduce coding, pig, hive, hbase, and possibly even zookeeper) is in good demand here.

in LA ad serving and ad targeting is huge, and because of the humongous amount of log data that's generated (tracking users on websites) using big data technologies is a must to be able to successfully mine the data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles